PDA

View Full Version : Flaring or belling a mouth on a 17 Remington?

GLWenzl
10-02-2006, 02:36 AM
I received some brass from a guy that came all worked up and ready to load however it also had the case mouth flared out…

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/glwenzl/IMG_1200.jpg

The small Hornady 17 gr HP set right in there real nice and when seating the bullet the seater closed it up ok but it sure seems like this step would be over working probably the most important part of the case neck thinking that is the last thing the bullets touches before it makes its way down the tube and consistent tension would be critical there?? Am I missing something??? Why didn’t you all tell me about this step before:rolleyes: ???

Tim Anderson
10-02-2006, 02:52 AM
Gary you don't want the mouths flared on a bottle neck case, you will have to run them through the sizeing die again.

Dan C
10-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Hey, why didn't I think of that? Sounds like a great accuracy enhancing procedure for those fat-necked factory chambers. Bell out the neck so that it centers itself in the chamber! :D :D

Actually, I have seen factory brass that looked like that. Seems to be a remnant of the forming process.

georgeld
10-02-2006, 06:25 AM
Lee has a collet die out with two inserts tapered from quite small, to about half inch dia for just about every case within those size's. These have a very long taper, I'm guessing around 80% angle or so. Nothing like most flaring tools are.

I've had a hard time now and then slipping a sharp cornered bullet in a resized case. Imagine everyone has.
This seems to be a solution and you can set it so fine as to not even be able to see where it's touched and it's still just enough to take the edge off so they'll fit without resistance.

I don't like to flare them either, but, sure don't like it when the edge of the mouth rolls over and ruins the case. When it come's to these things I'd a lot rather put a slight touch of flare on them as to wreck special cases.

Anytime a case is flared too much, just run them into the sizer and take it out.
Guess that's been said already.

Good luck,

Daryl
10-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Hey, why didn't I think of that? Sounds like a great accuracy enhancing procedure for those fat-necked factory chambers. Bell out the neck so that it centers itself in the chamber! :D :D

Actually, I have seen factory brass that looked like that. Seems to be a remnant of the forming process.

: touch the chamber walls is a common method used with the long range black pwoder ctg. guns. We've been doing it for 25 years now.
: When using my Seater die to neck down .17AB's, this happens, but only for the first shot. My accuracy has never been good when FF in that calibre, yet my friend's PacNor puts them into less than .2" when FF'ing with H4227 AND 1680 with 20Vmax's - go figure.
Daryl