PDA

View Full Version : Claude Gatewood stocks

rstreich
10-02-2006, 01:22 PM
I thought I had seen a banner ad on this site for Gatewood stocks and wanted to ask if anyone has had a positive experience with him.

About a year ago, I bought an inletted stock that he had on a for sale page. When I got it, the magazine well and floorplate had been cut a little too wide so that I could see through the gap on either side. When I asked him if I could return it, he was reluctant until he saw the pictures. He said he'd send me a check when he got the stock back. Sent the stock back--no check.

I call and send emails periodically, but rarely get a response. The last time I contacted him, he said that he was just going to send me the stock back 'cause now he doesn't think there's a problem with it. I replied with the pictures that I'd sent him and a copy of his email where he'd agreed to refund my money and told him that I'd really prefer the refund to which he'd agreed. Guess what? No stock, no check.

I've bought a lot of things from a lot of different firearm-related vendors in the last couple of years and this is the only bad experience I've had. I'd say I'm lucky, but experiences like this seem to be a rare exception with most vendors.

If anyone has had a positive experience with this guy, can you let me know. My patience is starting to wear thin on this one.

thanks,
robert

Alex
10-02-2006, 01:29 PM
... used to appear quite often on GGVG. I sorta got the impression after reading all of his posts that he could be a little sticky to do business with. You might ask Mike (one of the two owners of GGVG) about him, as I know Mike has a "Gatewood" 223.

Alex

Mntngoat
10-02-2006, 02:36 PM
I've had Claude duplicate about 4 stocks for me, and had him fit one to my Rampro a few years back. Great work, good prces and turn around time wasn't too bad eaither.
Here's the Rampro he did.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Mntngoat/RamproSide-1.jpg

Hope this helps
Michael

Alex
10-02-2006, 06:34 PM
... awsome! Claude turned out some beauts, and was very helpful to a lot of folks but was occasionally very prickly. I don't know if his website is still up, but there were a lot of lovely lumber on it. HIs reaction this time seems to be somewhat out of character, but maybe not. Hope they can get it straight.

Alex

Mntngoat
10-02-2006, 08:03 PM
http://www.claudegatewood.com/

ML

rstreich
10-03-2006, 03:51 AM
... used to appear quite often on GGVG. I sorta got the impression after reading all of his posts that he could be a little sticky to do business with. You might ask Mike (one of the two owners of GGVG) about him, as I know Mike has a "Gatewood" 223.

Thanks, Alex. I'll check over on GGVG.

It's really too bad as I was interested in having him do some work for me, but not anymore.

robert

Ladobe
10-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Robert,

After reading your comments on the stockbuilder wanted thread where I recommended Gatewood, and on this thread you directed me to, I called Claude this morning as an old friend to see what the heck is going on. I have known him a very long time, understand him and his normal ways, so none of this sat easy with me. Naturally I got a different version (as expected) since you each perceive this problem in your own light. Some of the details left out of your post allows it to cast unfair shadows on Claude though. But they will remain between you and him.

I made the call in hopes of you both being happy again, to confirm if future support of Claudes work would still be offered by me and to remove any public tarnish by getting both sides if possible. Bottom line from talking to Claude is he did send you a check in full refund back in August (even gave me the check number), although he has no idea without checking with the bank if it was cashed. So if you never received it I suggest you contact Claude and request another.

HTH

rstreich
10-11-2006, 05:09 AM
... Bottom line from talking to Claude is he did send you a check in full refund back in August (even gave me the check number), although he has no idea without checking with the bank if it was cashed. So if you never received it I suggest you contact Claude and request another.

I really hope I didn't get a check from him and then completely forget about it. I'd feel like a real a$$ if that was the case. If it could have happened any time, it would have been in August when I was running about 90 miles an hour trying to get a bow and a gun ready for a caribou hunt.

I'd been meaning to follow up with him anyway. I'll send him an email tonight. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

And, yes, it does help a lot. Thanks for stepping in.

robert

rstreich
11-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Just to close out this thread...

I never received the first check that Claude sent out, nor did I receive the second. Fortunately, the second one was returned by USPS since he left off the building number from the address. However, the last one came through on Friday.

I'm glad to hear that Claude does good work and has some loyal customers and friends, but I can't say that I'll be one of them. The whole affair was pretty much recoverable until I got the check with the note about the $22.50 deduction for the stop payment fee on the check that went missing. I guess I should be grateful for not having deductions for the check that was in the envelope that he found under his front seat or the check that he found amidst some other papers on his desk.

Incidents like this come out in the wash once you have developed some sort of business relationship with a vendor, but since this was my first transaction with Claude, it's easy to not make a second.

Thanks for all your help,
robert

CWG
11-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Just to close out this thread...

I never received the first check that Claude sent out, nor did I receive the second. Fortunately, the second one was returned by USPS since he left off the building number from the address. However, the last one came through on Friday.

The whole affair was pretty much recoverable until I got the check with the note about the $22.50 deduction for the stop payment fee on the check that went missing. I guess I should be grateful for not having deductions for the check that was in the envelope that he found under his front seat or the check that he found amidst some other papers on his desk.

Robert,
I had actually forgotten about this whole affair until an email from you...and a phone call...and a PM from friends on another website.

You requested me to "stop payment" for the check I sent 3 months prior, and for me to send out the second. I did.
My bank actually charges 32.50 for that transaction.

Sorry about the second check sent with a mislabled address, after reading the thread and getting your email I was rather frantic to stop payment and get the second check out in an attempt to get it right- so much of a rush I screwed up the address.
I can now add you to the list of two other unhappy customers in 15 years.

All my fault, no doubt.

regards, Claude Gatewood

p.s. cool forum, and thank for the kind words from some.

Dr. Bubba
11-04-2006, 02:56 AM
still kicking. Long time no see or hear.

I pray you and yours are doing well.

DB

rstreich
11-04-2006, 05:02 AM
...You requested me to "stop payment" for the check I sent 3 months prior, and for me to send out the second....

Actually, Claude. I didn't do either of those things. I just reread my email to you and all I asked was that you check to see if it had cleared, and, if so, to send me a photocopy of it so that I could take some action on my end if someone else had gotten it. I did offer to pay for the photocopy.

I wouldn't consider myself an unhappy customer. We just had a transaction that didn't go so well. I wasn't unhappy with your work--I only saw one instance of it that didn't work for me and that was a duped stock that you were selling for a reasonable price. It just didn't happen to fit my action. In the end, you stood behind it and refunded my money, mostly. The only truly negative moment in the whole transaction was charging me for the stop payment fee. Not a big deal, but enough to make me not want to try again.

You obviously do good work based on the recommendations on the board here. I trust their opinions, that's why I read this board. For some reason, misalignment of stars for all I know, our first transaction didn't go very smoothly and I've simply chosen not to press my luck with a second.

robert

jim saubier
11-04-2006, 10:21 AM
I think that it is mighty big of Claude to come here and explain what happened, taking the blame for the things that went wrong with this transaction and making it right. That says a lot about his character in my opinion. I've seen some work that Claude has done as well and it was certainly beautiful. It is a small circle in the custom gun building business and I am sure that it is a tough business to make a living. I tip my hat to all that are doing it. keep up the good work Claude and welcome to our small corner of the web.

jim

mwiness
01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
I have been trying to reach Claude Gatewood for several months. In September I sent a deposit for a stock. I was to have this back in November. I have not heard anything. I tried calling, NO ANSWER. I tried emailing - again NO REPLY. I asked for a refund, heard NOTHING. Very discussed with this company.
Mike

Chuck Miller
01-23-2012, 02:27 PM
mwiness, why come here and join this board, drag up a 6yr old post and blast someone? There are other boards better suited for that ......stuff:(

mwiness
01-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Send me a list of other sites and I will be more than happy to address my remarks there. This was the only site I found under Gatewood. As i said, all I asked for was the stock I ordered, or my money back. I received neither one.

ab_bentley
01-23-2012, 07:25 PM
As i said, all I asked for was the stock I ordered, or my money back. I received neither one.

Don't care.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Enjoy. Adam

Mntngoat
01-23-2012, 07:25 PM
search gatewood on 24 hr campfire...

Lots of reading of his dealings

ML

RePete
01-23-2012, 07:38 PM
For the first time in almost a month the sun's actually shining here today, but I still feel like a cloud just passed over. :(

Mntngoat
01-23-2012, 07:43 PM
For the first time in almost a month the sun's actually shining here today, but I still feel like a cloud just passed over. :(

We have been having rain for the last 3 days I figured thats what it was

ML

Mike Casselton
01-23-2012, 09:06 PM
M WHINES (I misspelled it on purpose) joined our (Jim's) site to come on here and bash a vendor. He has a total of two posts...

I can understand being unhappy, but to join this site just for the purpose of splattering negative comments all over the web is so childish.

Please go back to the other campfire, stick your log in there, and keep it there.
We won't miss your presence.

BTW, I do hope you get your refund or your stock. I've been fighting FedEx for two years on a refund. BUT, I didn't get on the web to bash them. Don't feel the need

mwiness
01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=ab_bentley;127048]Don't care.

I do care - I am out $350. I want everone to know about this before they deal with Gatewood Stocks.
This web site was right under his and I hope people read it. Never heard of the others.

ab_bentley
01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
[quote=ab_bentley;127048]Don't care.

I do care - I am out $350. I want everone to know about this before they deal with Gatewood Stocks.
This web site was right under his and I hope people read it. Never heard of the others.

All I am saying is this, you come here with no other plan than to complain. I am glad that you're looking out for all fo us but the fact remains that your first post was a negative one, we all get bad deals now and then, 350$ may be big money and I am sorry you lost it, but I'll tell you this there are others on here that wish 350$ was the total amount they lost, yet they didn't run to another and complain. I would adivse that when you have something other than negativity to bring to the table please pull up a seat. Adam

Tparrish
01-24-2012, 12:52 AM
I would adivse that when you have something other than negativity to bring to the table please pull up a seat. Adam

Very well put Sir.:)
Tom

mwiness
01-24-2012, 04:03 PM
search gatewood on 24 hr campfire...

Lots of reading of his dealings

ML

Thank you - I will do that. I have already reported him to the Better Business Bureau. For all the good that might do.

MQ1
01-25-2012, 03:44 AM
I grew up a stones throw from Gatewood, and recall an awful lot of positive press about his work back before the Internet was invented by Al Gore.

And I have little doubt that slandering Gatewood with undocumented claims on the Internet will make you feel like you are doing something proactive to get what you feel will right the situation...but it is my humble opinion that you come across as one of the me first, entitled, hyper-sensitive, California City dwellers that always seem to be cutting in front of everyone with their BMW at the last minute before the lanes merge for construction...but that's just my opinion:D

I will say on the positive side that If it were not for your public tantrum, I would not have realized that Claude makes a beautiful CZ 452 stock...and he will do it in left hand...sweet!

MQ1