PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Cleaning Question

dimecovers3
10-03-2006, 12:31 AM
For as long as I can remember, I have always run a brush out the end of the muzzle of a rifle and then I unscrewed it and then pulled the rod back out and started over. I can't tell you where or who told me this, but I have always believed you are to never push a brush out the muzzle and pull it back in----is this BS or have I have I been doing it right? I have this feeling I have been going through a big hassle for nothing. What is your bore cleaning "technique"?

DittoHead
10-03-2006, 06:17 AM
I push the brush all the way down the tube and out the muzzle, and then pull it back through the breech. I also use a bore guide.

Stephen Perry
09-26-2010, 01:36 AM
The person that would tell you to unscrew the brush is probably the same person that would tell you to not use bronze brushes and stay away from Sweets. Everyone to their own. Pushing brushes both ways without removing, bronze brushes, and Sweets have been around since before Computer websites where all these ideas came from. The best comment made was buy a bore guide.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

georgeld
09-26-2010, 06:58 AM
the problem isn't from pushing it clear out and then back thru.
IT's stopping short and backing up inside the bore where problems can arise.
That's what I've read at least

dlong
09-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I use nylon brushes. see no problem going out the bore and back in. I just come back in slowly. I would never go half way down and reverse in the barrel though. Thats just not cricket.

Daryl
09-26-2010, 04:47 PM
I do have bronze for the larger centrefire guns that seem to need them - they are the rifles with factory barrels.

In the .17 AH, with the PacNor - no copper - I use a nylon brush to introduce solvent only, then patch that out. In that barrel, there is no need for Wipe-Out either. I do use Wipe Out in the CZ .17 AH barrel as it coppers just a bit - still apply it with a nylon brush - then patch that out next morning - spottlessly clean. For cleaning during a shooting session, I use Butches Bore shine 50/50 with Kroil - introduced with a nylon brush - then patch that out- chamber guides, of course.

gnaymola
10-03-2010, 04:11 PM
This article pretty much covers it. I asked Greg Tannel about this recently after reading the article. If the crown is cut with a sharp edge in relationship to the bore, pulling a bronze brush back from the muzzle "could/might" round that sharp edge unevenly, effecting accuracy. Greg said he bevels the edge when he crowns, to eliminate the problem and said no problem pulling the brush back. He stressed not to reverse directions while the brush is inside the bore. Just one of the "small attention to details" you get with a good Riflesmith.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html

Gary

ab_bentley
10-03-2010, 05:38 PM
2006 :) Adam

6BRBB
10-03-2010, 06:09 PM
In my 'accurate rifles' (F-Class & Varmin) I only push bronze brushes one way (i.e. unscrew after they exit the muzzle). Usually 10 passes is sufficient. But I only use bronze occasionally when I'm finding it difficult to remove the carbon or copper. More so in 6.5mm rifle, less in my smaller calibres.

Most of my cleaning is with Nylon; I do pull these back through the muzzle once they have exited. As my 6mm, & 20 cal rifles hardly copper foul at all I use nylon mostly [ first with Bore Tech carbon remover, then Bore Tech Eliminator ]. This I believe works well for me. ;)

When using (on occasions) Bronze brushes I have no problem using them with Eliminator even though I know some 'brush' is also being removed. Such is the price of cleaning...

Silverfox
10-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I believe most barrel makers and gunsmiths would caution you to not allow the cleaning rod to extend so far out of the end of the barrel that the rod hits the crown. Most likely, the rod would be hitting somewhere around the 6:00 o'clock position on your crown and could cause damage there. So, to the aforementioned people, letting the brush exit the barrel is not a bad thing as long as you don't push the rod so far out the end of the barrel that the rod hits the crown.

rick w.
10-03-2010, 10:33 PM
One might check the relative fit of the brush assembly to the rod where the threaded area resides.