PDA

View Full Version : 17 Mach 2 shooters...Eley ammo

Dan C
10-03-2006, 04:04 AM
Just got a flyer from Graf and Sons, they have a special on Eley ammo for $4.39 a box, just FYI.

Scott Elliott
10-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Thanks Dan,
That's a really good price :)
Scott

georgeld
10-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Never bought any ammo in years.

Do they require hazmat fee's for ammo too??

Already made a deal with the store to get ten boxes for seven bucks a box in the morning, am stuck with that. Doubt I'll use it up, ever.

Good to know though, thanks,

montdoug
10-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks Dan, I just ordered 4 bricks. That is a "great" price, especially at Graf where freight is included. Even after ya add the $5.95 handling gouge it only comes to $4.54 a box sitting on my porch, it's $6.99 a box local. (No George, no hazmat on rimfire ammo).
After our hunt I have a whole new appreciation for the diminutive little rat smacker.

glennlasher
10-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Just close your nose when using it! It's got an aroma to it, that is, to me, really unpleasant. When I tried it in my Marlin, it didn't shoot any better than the CCI stuff, and it stank worse, so I quit using it.

Bayou City Boy
10-04-2006, 02:16 AM
glenn:

Can we conclude from your post that your nose is more sensitive than your walllet?

No harm intended....just jabbin' at ya'. ;)

-BCB

Dan C
10-04-2006, 02:19 AM
Just close your nose when using it! It's got an aroma to it, that is, to me, really unpleasant. When I tried it in my Marlin, it didn't shoot any better than the CCI stuff, and it stank worse, so I quit using it.

Are you kidding? Maybe I'm nuts, but I LOVE the smell of that stuff. Every time i go shooting with somebody I make them smell a freshly fired empty. I wish they would make an aftershave :eek:

Bayou City Boy
10-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Maybe that's where the term, "different strokes......" comes from, Dan. :D Thanks for the tip on the prices.

PS - Does you H380 powder smell like a French house of ill repute at closing time? Mine does....at least that's what a couple of the big boys tell me... ;)

-BCB

Larry in VA
10-04-2006, 02:45 AM
Hmmmm.... My Kimber preferred the Ely stuff over all the others. Don't recall an odor good or bad.
Larry

Scott Elliott
10-04-2006, 03:10 AM
My Cooper shoots the Eley like a "house a fire". It's all I shoot anymore an man do I love that smell.....
My LVT;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/221fireball/IMG_1046.jpg
A couple of 5 shot groups shot at 100 yards with the Eley;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/221fireball/IMG_0858.jpg
Have Fun,
Scott

17VLD
10-04-2006, 03:27 AM
I like the smell of Eley,its kinda like crazy glue,or CA for you technical types.
Just wish I had a 17 hm2 to call my own. Perhaps in the future.
Mayber if I get the ammo now at a good deal a rifle will come along later.:p
TTFN
Matt

Dan C
10-04-2006, 04:15 AM
Killer targets Scott. My Annie might shoot that good, I"ll never know in the wind we have around here. And with that little cartridge, if a mosquito farts within a half mile it moves the bullet about an inch at 100 yards!

montdoug
10-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Dan you've helped me yet again! I thought I was having an eye problem and as it turns out it was a mosquito flatulence deal all along. It isn't the Eley powder that stinks either it's....well.. huh...never mind.
By the way put me down in the liking the smell group also.
Great groups Scott and and a beautiful rifle.
Before this round first came out my friend whose daughter works for Zanders and is sponsored by Eley (She's a National rimfire silhouette champion) was telling me the Eley folks were getting one hole groups with it. They claim it has more accuracy potential than the .17HMR.
As I said above I've grown real fond of this little critter.
When it comes to shooting rodents in numbers I can actually load my .17Ackley Hornet for just about a dead push with the HMR price. This however at $4.54 a box is half the price and in my opinion sure gives ya a lot more than half the performance of the HMR. Not a lot of drama but their still deader than beef jerky.
Actually there will always be a place for both rifles in my safe.

montdoug
10-04-2006, 04:09 PM
PS - Does you H380 powder smell like a French house of ill repute at closing time? Mine does....at least that's what a couple of the big boys tell me... ;)

-BCB

Not to get personal here or anything but perhaps you could expound on this familiarity with French bordellos?
I know this is a small caliber site and all but I for one find this quite interesting.

Scott Elliott
10-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Killer targets Scott. My Annie might shoot that good, I"ll never know in the wind we have around here. And with that little cartridge, if a mosquito farts within a half mile it moves the bullet about an inch at 100 yards!
On my drive out to One Shot this summer from Raleigh I remember the constant winds along I-90 while travelling through SD and WY. As soon as I hit Ravalli County, MT it quit, seemed as if the sun never quit shining either ;)
I tell ya Dan I love the HM2 and find the Eley to be the best in my endeavors.
Which Annie do you have? I had a 1502 which shot pretty darn well.
Have Fun,
Scott

Johnly
10-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Just ordered 40 boxes, only to find out that it is already on back order status.

John in Oregon

GLWenzl
10-04-2006, 09:59 PM
I think U-can get CCI for 3.99 at CDNN???

BTW U-guys are sick!! Sniff'n powder??? I'm going to have to try the 2 boxes of Eley stuff now just to see what the heck you guys are talking about!!!

Ahhhhhh....

rpbill56
10-04-2006, 11:08 PM
CDNN does have CCI for $3.99 and shipping is a flat $9.95. Personally I think the Eley stinks, but that's just my opinion.
Bill

Bayou City Boy
10-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Uhhmmmm.....Let's see.....

It's all just an unsubstantiated rumor on my part. Like I said yesterday, it's what a couple of '"big boys" passed on to me. :D No personal experience that I can remember........fully. :o

Like the song says, "That's my story and I'm stickin' to it." :)

Has anyone sniffed Benchmark lately? I can't quite identify the aroma......but it's something vaguely familar to this old man.....:p

PS - Hope you're doing fine.

-BCB

montdoug
10-05-2006, 04:03 AM
I'll sniff some BenchMark and get back to ya, if I remember. Hopefully it brings back a memory as fond as the one you don't remember....fully. On that subject I concur that complete memory loss is always the best course of action when faced with topics such as this, there are so many things I can't remember I can't even remember em all....fully (glad I don't talk in my sleep).
As to vagaries everything familiar is vague to me anymore :confused: the term "Every day is a new day" has a whole new meaning now. If I ask my wife what her name is one more time I'm afraid her gentle spirit might take a turn toward the violent. Wish I hadn't taught her to shoot so well.

georgeld
10-08-2006, 03:44 AM
Had been looking in last years catalog and called the store when I found M2's listed for: "5000rnd case $69.50" Jumped on that, and told the guy I wanted a case, "ok fine, we'll have it here for you."

When I got down there this week it was $7 a box, that's $210 plus taxes. Yike's, can't do that!! Cut it back to ten boxes. Now you guys tell me $4.54 on the porch???????? Guess the store has to make a living too.

Wonder how long this thousand rnds will last me. IF I start shooting it a lot fairly soon, maybe I'll buy a case of it anyway. But, that'll just delay buying another gun, or case of powder which I'm running low on now.
It don't never seem to end, does it?!

Which is more important, more ammo I might never shoot, or powder which might take a couple years to load up and longer to shoot? OR more guns which will have to wait til I get around to shooting them?

Ahhh man, better get busy casting more bullets before long so I'll have something to do when it gets cold and nasty outside.

Dan, last years snow worn out yet? Bout time to order new ain't it? Wind either blows, or it don't at all and mostly it blows hard. Especially at Little America when it's about -40, right Dan?? Been there, melted the ice off the brake drums of my tractor, then found out the tire's were frozen to the ground enough it pulled the rubber apart. By damn, I won't live up there!! Much prefer the 330+ days of sunshine we have down here. Sure did enjoy the 75mph speed limit when trying to make Utah by dark when everywhere else was Nixon's foolish 55. Still a good long days drive across Wyo even at that speed in a loaded semi. It wasn't the Greyhounds that were hard to catch and pass, it was the Trailways!! Boss just rolled his eye's when I passed a set of pictures around from behind, up close, beside, and in the mirrors. hehe!

montdoug
10-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah George and just to make ya feel better CCI is less than that at CDNN. So far CCI which is the cheapest is the one my rifle likes best (YES!!!), I haven't tried the Eley in serious testing yet but am looking forward to it. The MachII might not be the end all do all round but it sure is a lot of fun especially on ground squirrels.

georgeld
10-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Montdoug:

I prefer CCI primers to anything and seldom use anything else.
Like their m2's so far except the price.

But, since Hornady invented these two rounds, I kinda feel like we should buy some of their's too. Even though Steve H. wrote me direct "I/we are NOT going to make the HMR into a centerfire-----"

Like most of us on this board, that's a damned shame, and he's missing a good bunch of sales by not doing so. There's a bunch of us that would jump on his wagon IF he would.

Now this give's US something to develope, right?

happy shootin,

montdoug
10-10-2006, 03:57 AM
"If they make it we will buy"! Just like "Field of Dreams".

georgeld
10-11-2006, 04:15 AM
----and until they do, we'll make it ourselve's best we can.

Right??

montdoug
10-12-2006, 05:38 PM
More fun that way anyhow.
"Manufacturers"? "We don't need no stinking manufacturers"!
Just kidding.:o