PDA

View Full Version : BT bullets

Liseo
08-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Excuse this dumb question.

When you make FB bullets, they come from the pointing die ready to be used, right? Just need be cleaned, i believe.

But to make BT bullets, you have to make an additional step or the punch have the right profile and bullet comes from the pointing up die with the BT formed?

Thanks

Liseo

Eddie Harren
08-08-2011, 10:13 AM
The boat tail is usually formed when the core is seated.

george ulrich
08-09-2011, 01:02 AM
The boat tail is usually formed when the core is seated.

and to add is finished with a matching punch during point up operation.george

Liseo
08-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Well, now a lot of questions. If you have a set of dies to make .224" 52 grains bullets...

- What change if you decide to make heavier bullets, besides the jackets?
a) you change the core lenght?
b) change the core swaging setting?
c) need a longer core seating die?
d) need a longer point up die?
. A lot of questions if anyone has the patience to explain, I will be grateful.

I will be receiving soon a set of Larry Blackmon dies to make 52 grains bullets, but I just sold my 1/12 tw 223 rifle and will buy one custom rifle with 1/9 tw, so i believe that some heavier bullets is a good thing.

Thanks

Liseo

Mntngoat
08-16-2011, 09:23 PM
when changing weights you change the core weight and make a couple adjustments to your core seating/ pointing dies. No harder than adjusting reloading dies.

ML

Liseo
08-16-2011, 10:42 PM
OK guys, thanks:)

Al Nyhus
08-17-2011, 12:20 PM
I use die shims under my Blackmon core die for different core weights. -Al

Mntngoat
08-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Good thinking Al. easy to get back to the same weight time and time again that way.

ML

george ulrich
08-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Well, now a lot of questions. If you have a set of dies to make .224" 52 grain
- What change if you decide to make heavier bullets, besides the jackets?
a) you change the core lenght?
b) change the core swaging setting?
c) need a longer core seating die?
d) need a longer point up die?
. A lot of questions if anyone has the patience to explain, I will be grateful.

I will be receiving soon a set of Larry Blackmon dies to make 52 grains bullets, but I just sold my 1/12 tw 223 rifle and will buy one custom rifle with 1/9 tw, so i believe that some heavier bullets is a good thing.

Thanks

Liseo

you might want to check with larry shorter jacketed bullets and less ogive do not require as deep of a cavity. so a deeper core seater and point die might be needed. george

Liseo
08-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Thank guys, this way when i receive my dies I will be almost a master bulletsmith:D

Al, I follow your posts with great interest, as I believe that you are using Larry dies.
Whit your dies, you can make bullets in what weight range?

George, when I start to make 224" bullets, if I conclude that this task is for me, I intend to order a 243" carbide dies. This time I decided for a set of steel dies because they are a lot cheaper and If I make a big mistake, the loss will be less.

Thanks, you are a group of great guys.