PDA

View Full Version : Okay boys, I jumped in with both feet today!

BigUn
10-06-2006, 11:25 PM
After reading and lurking here and at rimfire central for a good while, I ordered a CZ HM2, 452 Varmint today! I sure hope it turns out to be as good a squirrel rifle as I think it might. Any of you guys that already have this gun care to offer any words of wisdom?? Thanks for your time.

rpbill56
10-07-2006, 01:00 AM
I have a CZ Varmint in HMR and two CZ Americans in HM2. The HM2s' are great small game rifles. Very accurate, flat shooting and hard hitting. I don't think I'd trade them for any other rimfires. In my opinion, the HMR is too much for squirrels if you're going to eat them.
Bill

Scott Elliott
10-07-2006, 02:48 AM
GU,
Get yourself some Eley Ammo. I've had good results with it. You're also going to need rings that attach to a 11mm tip off. Check into the Warne rings, steel and affordable :)
You should also look into Brookies trigger kit. contact www.whittakerguns.com they should have em....an AWESOME trigger to be had only for about $12 and a lil elbow grease.
Have Fun,
Scott

foxhunter
10-07-2006, 02:52 AM
the first thing to do with the 452 is put a brooks trigger kit in it, you can make the trigger from stiff to don't breath on it and remove all the creep. they are about 14.00 from most places and fairly easy to install if you just follow the directions.
my 17 mach 2 cz varminter shoots in the .4's at 100 yards and has proven very deadly on rocket j. sqrls and rascally rarebbits. the only work done to the 452 was the trigger and a bedding job.
crow season is a coming and we will put the hm2 to use on heckle and jeckel, humm or were they magpies?

P.S. great sqrl round.

montdoug
10-07-2006, 03:38 AM
I got mine a year and a half ago or so (right after they came out. After a bit of break in and sighting in this was my first 5 shot group at 50 yards). Of course I had to pull one but you get the idea. This rifle had Brookies triger kit installed as mentioned before I even started, the trigger breaks right at 1 lb.
I was shooting CCI ammo by the way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/montdoug/CZ-1.jpg

Here's the first 100 yard group shot on the same day, a slight breeze left to right. Pretty normal CZ performance from what I've seen, my HMR is very similar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/montdoug/Winterreprievesmallcalibergroups027.jpg

My only words of wisdom would be shoot em in the head or you'll wreck a lot of the eating part but I guess that goes without saying when squirrel hunting.
Keep us posted how it goes for ya.

Skypilotbc
10-07-2006, 03:53 AM
But what I really want to know is:
Where the heck did ya get that gold dime, Doug???
Good shootin' BTW
Bob

montdoug
10-07-2006, 04:10 AM
The gold one was all I could find Bob, Foxhunter had shot holes in all the silver ones. ;)

fotohunt
10-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Now Doug,
Where can I get my hands on one of those Gold 3/4" dimes like in your picture there? HA HA, just kidding, nice groups,

Darrell

jim barker
10-07-2006, 11:38 PM
you only got a little toe into the water. There's 20Vt, 17AH, 20TAC, 19-223, 17KB, 20KB 19 Badger, Coopers, BATS, Vipers, are you starting to get my drift? Welcome to the cooking pot. LOL

no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo

17VLD
10-08-2006, 04:04 AM
I absolutely love mine in 17HMR.To think a waited so long to by a CZ.
I've shot pd's,'chucks and jacks with it and its just one of those guns that can't seem to miss,that you grow fonder and fonder of.
TTFN
Matt:)

montdoug
10-08-2006, 05:10 PM
By the way Darrell I'll have you know that isn't a 3/4 inch dime! It's a Sliver Dollar gold plated and restamped to look like a dime. With it and those special 4 inch square lined targets it looks pretty impressive huh? Shooting 15 feet indoor groups with em even I can look good.;)