PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Custom Match Grade Dies

GLWenzl
10-10-2006, 02:08 AM
I have an order in for 2 sets of Hornady custom match grade bushing dies (17 & 20 Killer Bee and 17-222G)...

Did someone say once that there is a guy who modifies standard Hornady dies to busing dies??? How much $$??? Quality of finished product??? I have some other Hornady dies here that I am thinking of having this done.... Thanks

Gary in Illinois
10-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Hi Gary,
I had an RCBS FL die converted to a bushing die by Jim Carstensen of JLC Precision - http://www.jlcprecision.com/pages/1/index.htm

It looks like his web site only contains his phone number but I'm sure a call to him would confirm whether he converts other brands of dies (I suspect he does.) I thought I had information on the cost somewhere but I seem to have hidden it from myself. If memory serves me, I think he charged $35.00 but like everything else, the price may have increased in the last few years.

I'm very happy with my die. It was a .22 K hornet that I can now use for my .17AH also.

Hope this helps.

Gary

17VLD
10-10-2006, 03:52 AM
Sorry if I missed an earlier post.Sure sounds neat.
Anything like a 17Bobcat?
TTFN
Matt
PS the G does'nt stand for Gary does it?

GLWenzl
10-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Matt, I call it a 17-222 Gullette because Kevin had a reamer made up to his specs and was nice enough to tell me about it. This will be my long range 17 to shoot the 25 V-max and 30 Golds. The Bobcat/Duster was what I originally wanted but am trying to get the job done with a little less powder... We'll see????

Al Nyhus
10-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Jim Carstensen at JLC has converted a bunch of dies to bushing dies for me....17 Javelina, .17 Rem, 22BR, 250 Savage Ackley, 6BR, several 30BR's, 30 WareWolf, 30 WolfPup, 30-284, etc.

Great work, fast turnaround time and reasonably priced...$35 includes return postage. I like using Redding Body Dies as a starting point..after the conversion, one die does it all: neck size, decap, size the body and bump the shoulder.