PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know the diminsions of the 20 vartag compared to the 17 mach 4

foxhunter
10-10-2006, 12:44 PM
just wondering what shoulder angle they used .

Dan C
10-10-2006, 01:09 PM
The body dimensions are nearly identical, within a couple thou as I recall, and both have 30 degree shoulders. Are you sure you are the foxhunter we all know? Bob knew all that stuff.

Daryl
10-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Something's fishy in Missoura, - HAHA!

montdoug
10-10-2006, 04:17 PM
I know I use the Wilson .17MachIV bushing neck die and just change bushings for the VarTarg, the ammo is as concentric as the MachIV ammo is.

foxhunter
10-10-2006, 09:43 PM
dan c just to lazy to go thru my scn to find the reamer print, trying to figure out if i need to buy a die, a bushing or just steal a bushing from my 20 br.
i like doug have been fighting the old getting old syndrome, between my bad feet (bone spurs) , bad knee and sleep apnea i have become a gimp, a limp and one of the seven dwarfs, sleepy i think it was.

heck if i knew i was going to live this long i would have taken better care of this old body of mine.

rabbit season is open, i have a new 28 ga side by side and a 6 month old beagle that needs to be shown how to hunt. unfortunately i can't get down on all fours and sniff the ground the way i use to, the last time i did we had a fight over butt sniffing, as to who was trying to sniff who we're not even going to go there, so now the dog has to learn to hunt the hard way, with a black eye, actually two black eyes.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/bobd/gun%20things/mr05004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/bobd/gun%20things/sp15_002-1.jpg

(no animals were hurt in the process of making this post.)

thanks for letting me be lazy.

now does anyone have any doubts i am the one and only foxhunter?

bob

Daryl
10-11-2006, 01:58 AM
Sorry to question the handle, Bob. It's you for sure.
: I sure did like shooting trap with my buddies 28 bore Ruger O/U. It slaps those birds hard. I did have a bit of trouble at 27 yards, but then, 3/4oz shot canonly do so much.
: I do like the double-gun pictured. It would be special indeed for all upland work. The 28 bore was quite popular even back in black powder days and gets favourable mention in W.W. Greener's book along with testimonial letters to the writer. Most poeple are overgunned, only they don't realize it until they shoot a small bore.

DittoHead
10-11-2006, 04:23 AM
rabbit season is open, i have a new 28 ga side by side and a 6 month old beagle that needs to be shown how to hunt.
That looks like a CZ Ringneck to me. I’ve been looking at the 20 gauge.

foxhunter
10-11-2006, 04:33 AM
pattened it against my 20 and it shot a amore even and dense pattern. i also have a weatherby orion in 28 guage, sure is sweet.

DittoHead
10-11-2006, 05:46 AM
My brother-in-law is partial to the Ringneck 28 gauge. We’ve been talking about doing a two-gun deal for a while, but something always comes up. :(

montdoug
10-11-2006, 05:21 PM
What do you mean old? I'm just chronologically challenged! By the way who are you anyway? Do I know you?
I don't owe you money do I. Do you owe me some?
If I did something to you I shouldn't have I didn't mean to. If I did mean to I'm sorry!
On the serious side I hope ya get to feeling better, that Beagle and that shotgun need excercise. I never hunted rabbits with a dog but used to read about it in magazines when I was a kid, sounds like a gas!
Buy the way if I hear about the butt sniffing issue again I'm calling the SPCA...or...PETA...or...Hillary, "SOMEBODY"...poor dog.

Alex
10-11-2006, 08:35 PM
... of all you young whippersnappers talking about being OLD! OLD is a state of mind, and if you let aches and pains get in the way, they're gonna be throwing dirt down on you in a heartbeat.

My bird dog died last year, the Thursday before the last day of the end of the season. What a blow that was. Even though we almost don't have any quail any more hereabouts, being without a bird dog is a mighty blow. My chessie died the previous Spring, but he was gun shy and retrieved only one duck in his entire life. Sadie, my 18 month old Boykin Spaniel will have to take the place of both. She is too fast for the rabbits, so I didn't get to shoot a single one in my garden this year.

That little CZ s/s sure looks nice. I've been doing my best not to buy one. I do have a Red Label 20, which really feels good, but my Citori Lightning 20 feels even better. My "meat" gun is an old (about 40 yrs) lightweight 1100 20 that they only made for a year or two - it has an alloy receiver and the barrel is super light, too. The Citori is "new". Only about 15 years old. The RL is really new, at about 2 yrs.

Wadjewsayurnamewas?

Alex

foxhunter
10-11-2006, 11:38 PM
my next door neighbor lost his black lab when he accidently shot it in the head hunting quail, dog jumped in front of the gun.

GLWenzl
10-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Wadjewsayurnamewas?

Alex

LOL!!

Thanks Alex, that was good coming from you and I took the above to heart too!

You’re my hero!!!

montdoug
10-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your dogs Alex that is a biggie in the loss column, most unfortunate.
I have a friend who has several Boykins, amazing dogs.

foxhunter
10-25-2006, 01:23 PM
people for the ethical treatment of people, after all if a guy stuck his nose in your crotch or butt crack there would be one whale of a fight, why do the liberals think it's ok for a dog to do it?

other problems i have with liberals.........

they are against capital punishment, but support abortion on
demand.

they believe that businesses create oppression and
governments create prosperity.

they believe a 17 mach 4 in the hands of law-abiding
Americans are more of a threat than U.S. nuclear weapons technology in
the hands of Chinese and North Korean Communists.

they believe that the same teacher who can't teach 4th graders how
to read is somehow qualified to teach those same kids about sex.

they believe that hunters don't care about nature, but loony
activists who have never been outside of San Francisco do.

they believe the NRA is bad because it supports certain parts of
the Constitution, while the ACLU is good because it supports certain parts of
the Constitution.

they believe that conservatives telling the truth belong in jail,
but a liar and a sex offender belonged in the White House.

they believe that it's okay to give federal workers
Christmas Day off but it's not okay to say "Merry Christmas."

ok...diatribe over.........
http://i14.tinypic.com/2z5nciu.gif