PDA

View Full Version : Put a nice one down in MD on Sat.

csterner
11-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Well after passing several small bucks this year in PA and MD in bow season, I finally got a crack at a decent buck with a rifle. Got screwed up by another hunter and couldn't hunt where I wanted to first thing Saturday. I had no idea where else to go and just figured I'd go to another farm across the road and watch a creek bottom. To me, it looked like a decent spot, an escape route for deer from adjoining farms and thickets, and it certainly was. I saw 10 deer before 9AM when this guy came into view. This creek bottom has a cliff on one side that peters out to a ditch where there's a well used crossing. I was roughly 100 yards from that crossing, sitting in a fence row in some cedars. About 9AM I see this buck come flying down the hill by the cliff, headed to the crossing. He didn't make it.:D

I had the 7 mag already set on the bipod pointing that way. Flipped the safety off, found a hole to shoot through some treelimbs and waited just a few seconds before he appeared. As he came into view, the buck turned to duck into the cedars along the creek and the gun cracked. I wasn't sure I hit him as he just disappeared, but as I walked up toward where he last was, I saw movement. He was piled up, but still barely alive. Another in the neck and he was down for the count. I hit him on the run at 175 yards, high shoulder/spine shot, with a 162 Amax. I was pretty impressed at my shooting, as I don't normally shoot at running game, but the shot was perfect. Had I lung shot him, he most certainly would have made it into the creek and I'd have been swimming.

It was a nice 8 pt, a little over 17" wide. A really good deer for this area and my biggest rifle buck to date.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8457/20121124091651.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1835/20121124091701.jpg

microgun
11-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Nice buck. What caliber rifle

csterner
11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Remington 700 in 7mm Mag. I set this up to hunt fields where shots could be out to 6-700 yards. I really wasn't planning on shooting anything under 200 but when I got screwed up earlier by another guy hunting the field I planned on watching, that was the rifle I had to use at this other spot.

DAA
11-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Congrats!

- DAA

Mntngoat
11-27-2012, 08:07 PM
nice work charlie

ML

Stevo
12-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Great Buck Charlie. My cousin lives next to that farm that powers the entire place with cow manure. LOL I know you know that place it's famous. He says he can get us permission to hunt it next year. I may be out your way for the next gunshow. I will stop by the hardware store and say hi.

Tparrish
12-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Nice buck, not to shabby on the shooting either:D
Tom

csterner
12-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Great Buck Charlie. My cousin lives next to that farm that powers the entire place with cow manure. LOL I know you know that place it's famous. He says he can get us permission to hunt it next year. I may be out your way for the next gunshow. I will stop by the hardware store and say hi.

Yep, that's the farm I hunt. Good luck getting permission...I'm lucky they even let me hunt. Been hunting there 30 years now and never gave them a reason not to...guess it's working!

Stevo
12-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Well I just got off the phone with him. Nope no hunting that farm for us. And he works there lol.

csterner
12-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Well I just got off the phone with him. Nope no hunting that farm for us. And he works there lol.

Like I said...I'm lucky to be able to hunt there. My grandmother grew up with the owners and dad and I were allowed from the 70's. They know us well and we don't cause problems. I've shot a PILE of groundhogs for them and try to keep the deer herd in control. I even lease 165 acres from onecof the family members, bug basically have free run of the place...and I aim to keep it that way.:)