PDA

View Full Version : 22 LR jacket questions

BadgerBob
12-01-2012, 12:08 PM
I got in a hurry and decided to build a 22lr jacket swage. It seems to work ok but I end up with a ring around the case right where the rim was. The ring die makes a .219 jacket and I have two punches they are 194, and 198 I get the ring around the base of the case with either punch. I cleaned the cases with stainless steel media, it did a great job inside and out. I did notice that I don't get the ring as bad with Fed cases Rem are worse. I did anneal the cases before I started, so I gave a few case the where not annealed, they did the same thing. Is this normal?

Bill K
12-01-2012, 02:28 PM
If I remember right, I had a friend a few years back that made his 22 cal out of fired rf brass and had the same little ring show, but it did nto see to make any difference, other than a cosmetic look, he shot them and payed no mind to it. Believe it is just due to the rim and how it unfolds as you form the brass. I would recheck with him, but sad to say, he passed away a few years back. Bill K

MIBULLETS
12-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Bob, the reason I believe you are getting the ring is the fit between the punch and die. Federal cases are usually thicker and since you are seeing the ring less with these supports my guess. If you could try a slightly larger diameter punch it might make the ring almost disappear.

One other thing is that I anneal the jackets after I de-rim them. It is a little harder but I think it works better if you want better looking jackets.

J. Valentine
12-02-2012, 02:00 AM
If you look at a Corbin punch for this job it is not made parallel . It is a kind of wasp waist shape with a rounded head . I think the idea is it kind of stretches the rim area out first as it draws through the die . Once the bulge on the punch is past the ring die and it is stretched flat the rest of the case is not drawn much . That's the best I can explain it.
Also look into using a concave base punch for core seating and point forming as it draws the firing pin mark more away from the bullet edge improving accuracy. Core bonding works good too for these thin jackets if the cases were cleaned properly to start with .
Bottle of Bakers zinc chloride Flux and an electric paint stripper gun and a metal holding block is all you need to core bond. Then Ultrasonic clean them.