PDA

View Full Version : Calhoon 19 Calibers

Fred in NE Ohio
10-13-2006, 12:46 AM
I am thinking about getting a Calhoon 19 cal. rifle for an early birthday present. I am kind of thinking of the 19 Badger. I want it for PD shooting and some paper punching. Can anyone give me any opinions on which 19 and the Calhoon Rifles in general.

Thanks in advance
Fred

17VLD
10-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Lots of people like the 19 Badger alot, I already have a 19 Calhoon and a 19-223 so I don't really feel the need for the Badger.If I was just starting out I would'nt hesitate to get the Badger.Its accurate fast and the case come formed already.The Calhoon bullets are very accurate so either choice will work well for you.May I ask your favorite quarry?
TTFN
Matt

TCAS
10-13-2006, 04:12 PM
CZ action and pacnor barrel in a repeater for 1K is not a bad deal for a wildcat. I would ask about the quality of the reloading dies, and bullet availabiltily. Only one source for bullets and I'll bet with the popularity of the new 20 caliber guns that no major bullet company will make bullets for the 19 caliber.

Hell, Sierra, Speer, Nosler, winchester, Barnes still don't make bullets for the 17 caliber and they collectivly are far more popular than the 19 calibers.

Tcas

ray hauver
10-13-2006, 07:47 PM
It would seem to me that a bullet company, say the good folks at Hornady, could just add one more drawing die to their 20 line and pop out some good 32 and 40 VMax 19 calibers. Wouldn't the cores and jackets for the 20 work for the 19's? Wild Bill and Ric converts the 20s to 19s .

MikeMoore
10-13-2006, 10:40 PM
I too have the 19 Calhoon and the 19-223 so I can't really justify the Badger. But if I were starting over again with the 19's I go with the Badger and call it done. I can't comment on the Calhoon rifles as I don't personally own one, but everything I've heard has been good. Hopefully someone that actually has one will chime in. While the Calhoon bullets are somewhat lacking in BC when compared to some of the .20's, I don't worry much about James being the only game in town for 19 cal bullets. He certainly doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would stick you with a turd of a rifle so it should just be a matter of finding out which grain bullet your barrel likes and then rat holing enough to get you by should the worst happen. Something that I do anyhow no matter what the cartridge. Good luck to you.

jim barker
10-14-2006, 12:09 AM
about the only source of 19's is Jim Calhoon. Here are a couple of things to consider:

#1 If you want a 19 and are worried about it just buy enough bullets to last a while. Maybe 5,000. Any time after that you can re-barrel if the bullets are no longer available.

#2 Jim is not just going to walk away from his business, ain't going to happen. If he decided to quit someone would buy his tooling and keep going. Remember, he makes other bullets besides 19's and they all do exactly what they're suppose to do, kill critters.

Singleshooter
10-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Own both the 19Calhoon and 19Badger. Both on CZ rifles. One in Kevlar and one Walnut. Both shoot great. My choice would probably be the badger since it has a little more umph. I shoot both with 32 Grainers. The 13 year old grandson had a ball on the gophers and pd in wyoming this year with both rifles. Bob (skypilot) was there at that event. I do like the kevlar stock better since it has a wider forend. Ed