PDA

View Full Version : Moly coating with vibrate tumbler

Varminteer
10-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Hello,
Has anyone used just a regular vibrating tumbler to coat bullets with moly? I have a Lyman 600 tumbler that I could use by first cleaning then dropping in the bullets with a dash of moly. Midwayusa sells a similiar outfit. No need for rotating drums (tumbers tumblers), jars or BB's. The bullets hitting each other is sufficient.

Any experiences with this?

Thanks,
Larry

rpbill56
10-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I do this all the time. I use a small plastic container that has a tight sealing lid. The one I use is made by Rubbermaid and measures 2 1/2" by 2 1/2". I also have a larger one for bigger calibers.(who shoots those anyway)
Put the cleaned bullets in the container with a small amount of moly, snap the lid on and put the container in the tumbler for about an hour.(um....you have to turn it on) They come out looking just like the factory coated ones.
I hope this helps,
Bill

Varminteer
10-14-2006, 01:29 AM
Thanks Bill,
I'm going to give it a try. :)

rpbill56
10-14-2006, 02:28 AM
I'm not sure I mentioned it, but I leave the media in the tumbler.
Bill

Kevin Gullette
10-14-2006, 02:40 AM
.......you should test the plating quality.

Vigorously rubbing a plated bullet on a paper towel, for about 10 seconds, should NOT result in ANY copper color showing through the moly.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

rpbill56
10-14-2006, 06:44 AM
When I remove the bullets from the container, I always polish them on paper towels. They always come out bright and shiny. Never any copper.
Bill

vmthtr in Green Bay
10-14-2006, 01:26 PM
When I shot moly bullets I plated my own this way. Clean bullets in a degreaser, put them in a bottle with a teaspoon of BB's, I black taped the lid on after putting in the moly powder. I then tumbled them overnight, with media in the bowl. Use a magnet to seperate BB's and roll bullets in a clean rag to remove excess. Works like a charm. (and doesn't sh$t up the tumbler with moly)

Mike

Varminteer
10-15-2006, 12:34 AM
I just found that Lyman sells a "kit" of two bowls for the Lyman 600 or 1200 model tumbler. It includes moly, ceramic pellets and some other media. Looks like they use the ceramic pellets like others use BB's.

Maybe I'll give it a try.

georgeld
10-15-2006, 05:48 AM
I used it for a couple years til a friend sent me a spray can of Ms Moly.
That's the best stuff I've found. Expensive as H though, last I checked it was $13 a can. Lasted over two coffee can's full of bullets though.

Just stand them up on a cardboad and spray from all side's. Cures hard as a jacket in a few minutes and can't be scratched off with your finger nails.

Only thing is the spray stinks to high heaven like most things do when sprayed. It's not messy long as the overspray is controlled. I did it out side when it was cold out and worked just as well as when warm. Need to hit it from three side's to get full coverage.

Try it, I'll bet you like it.

waumo
11-02-2006, 11:17 PM
I used it for a couple years til a friend sent me a spray can of Ms Moly.
That's the best stuff I've found. Expensive as H though, last I checked it was $13 a can.

I liked the MS MOLY spray but I can't find it now. Is it still being made?