PDA

View Full Version : What is a Habu Shrew?

DittoHead
10-14-2006, 05:00 AM
I have seen the .20 Habu Shrew and a flanged version mentioned recently. What are the parent cases and performance of these cartridges?

Any other calibers?

Thanks.

dondford
10-14-2006, 06:33 AM
I'll let Stephen Grant address the Habu Shrew, it is his design.
I built a rimmed version of the HS on a Martini Cadet action and dubbed it the 20 Raven. I have made cases from
*360DW - A 1.40" 357 (between the 357 Mag and 357 Max)
*222 Rimmed
*5.6.x.50R (RWS brass)
The best brass is from the RWS, but it is, as is the 222 R, about 4 x the expense of the 360DW.
The Raven will shoot a 32 Gr Vmax around 3700 FPS but the cartridge is capable of faster speed but the Martini's extraction gets sticky if I load it too hot.
I believe the Raven if built on a Ruger No. 1, for example, would out preform the VarTarg.

Don

tera
12-17-2006, 03:27 PM
I'll let Stephen Grant address the Habu Shrew, it is his design.
I built a rimmed version of the HS on a Martini Cadet action and dubbed it the 20 Raven. I have made cases from
*360DW - A 1.40" 357 (between the 357 Mag and 357 Max)
*222 Rimmed
*5.6.x.50R (RWS brass)
The best brass is from the RWS, but it is, as is the 222 R, about 4 x the expense of the 360DW.
The Raven will shoot a 32 Gr Vmax around 3700 FPS but the cartridge is capable of faster speed but the Martini's extraction gets sticky if I load it too hot.
I believe the Raven if built on a Ruger No. 1, for example, would out preform the VarTarg.

Don

Can you to give me more information on cases following
20 Raven
20 Habu Shrew

But with what case I can form them???

Because to mention you a new creation Wildcat but for these two cases me not as not has by that it his parent:confused:

dondford
12-17-2006, 06:08 PM
The main, if not only difference between Stephen's Habu Shrew and my Raven is that the HS is rimless and the Raven is rimmed. My post quoted in your message named the cases I have formed the Raven cases from; if you wanted to build the Raven you could used the same cases. I'm sure there are other cases you could use, for example you could use 357 Maximum cases and shorten them to 1.40" I have found that the 36O DW is, by far, the most economical.

Again, Stephen can speak better as to what he used for the Habu, but for the Habu you could use all the same cases commonly used for the 20 VarTarg. I understand that the Habu Shrew is basically a blown 20 VT.

Hope this helps.

Don

Stephen Grant
12-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Although I like to take credit for it, Max Dunlevy is the Father of this design. I have built quite a number of these for myself and friends and have grown very fond of it's abilities.

While Max was still making his 25 gr cupped base bullets I could get 3950fps w/o over stressing the Rem 221 brass. Around 3800fps is comfortable with 32gr Vmax.

Not really sure I want to live on the differance between a H/S and a Vartarg.

Like they say, "it may not be better it's just different".

Stephen

DittoHead
12-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the update.

How did the name “Habu Shrew” come about?