PDA

View Full Version : Hunting license ?

redrock ranger
04-09-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm old , lazy and dislike wading thru websites....... The question is. Is a license required to shoot Prarie Dogs on National Grasslands? Thanks.

rider
04-23-2013, 08:58 PM
RR
I don't know about other states but in Colorado a small game license is required.

Rider

Bill K
04-23-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm old , lazy and dislike wading thru websites....... The question is. Is a license required to shoot Prarie Dogs on National Grasslands? Thanks.

I believe most states require a license (afraid they will miss a dollar). Some states do not require it, if you are working for a land owner or are the land owner. You just have to goggle up the state in question and check out the game laws for it. Bill K

redrock ranger
04-24-2013, 01:34 AM
I'm interested in National Grassland ran by USDA. It almost looks like the state requires a license on Federal lands. Thanks.

Hornet lover
04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Montana and Wyoming do not require a license. Oregon does.

sicero
05-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Hornetlover
Oregon
Correct me if I am wrong.
A lic is not required on private land if you
are shooting by request of land owner.
Can you clear this up for us? Thanks Kenny

Hornet lover
05-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Hornetlover
Oregon
Correct me if I am wrong.
A lic is not required on private land if you
are shooting by request of land owner.
Can you clear this up for us? Thanks Kenny
You are correct. But public land requires you to carry one.

TinMan
05-24-2013, 04:32 PM
And tribal lands require their own, at least Rosebud does.

redrock ranger
05-24-2013, 06:22 PM
The best i can come up with is a State license is necessary on the Federal Grasslands. Planning a trip to South dakota next month.

Talked with a Rosebud guide last fall. You can find some shooting around 500 yards.Not exactly what is am looking for, he responded that it's not like it used to be in the 1980's.

Buddy and i are going to wing it. He started in South Dakota in the late 1970's.

Thanks for the responses.

dungheap
05-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Whereabouts in South Dakota are you planning to go, Redrock? We just made a trip out there, and there are a few choice comments I could make in that regard...

Will have to give that serious thought to avoid a lot of profanity!:mad:

redrock ranger
05-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Looking at the Fort Pierre National Grasslands. Ive hunted east of the Rosebud, all over Cheynne River Sioux reservations.

What's up Dunheap ?

Waskawood
05-25-2013, 04:47 PM
90 bucks to shoot the Cheyenne River Reservation!!!! Just about a buck a dog.

redrock ranger
05-25-2013, 07:31 PM
We used to stay in Dupree,S D.Really only had 2 good hunts in 8 years. The first problem was we accumulated to many shooters, could not find enough dogs for two shooters let alone 5-6. 3 to 4 got their discharge notice. Just me and an old buddy now. The wild high volume shooting up there was BS, been doing it to many years, feel like i know a good dogtown when i see it

Stayed in White River in 1998 at the Thorobred Motel , about 12 rooms and 10 had dog shooters. Times were changing.

Moved on to Colorado. The drought, plague and overshooting done in Colorado as i see it.

Shot my first dog in Nebraska in 1983. Spent many years in South Dakota.I relly don't want to hire a guide.

Starting over again.

Jim D
05-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Reservations require their own license, as I'm sure you know, otherwise you need a state license.

Seemed like the last time in S Dakota, it was $27.

Jim

dungheap
05-29-2013, 01:27 AM
RR, we tried the Fort Pierre National Grasslands last year. My advice: Forget it. Any town of any size has been shot and shot and shot, and the survivors are wise.

State license is $37 now. Easy to get online. The landowners who do are allowing shooting are charging $25 - up, per person, per day; the outfitters, who have contracted for most of the land, are charging $200 - up, per person, per day; the Rosebud Rez requires a tribal license ($60) and you MUST be accompanied by a licensed tribal guide ($ ??). The guide MUST be with you while you are shooting, can't take you to a spot and leave. I don't know what the per person - per day amount would be there. Don't really WANT to know either. Plague has taken its toll to some extent, but we saw lots and lots of dogs and dog towns on tribal land, with no way to get a shot.

In summary, South Dakota prairie dog shooting has become a rich man's sport, totally out of reach for a guy like me. Glad to have the memories of the fantastic shooting back in the 80s and not much more.