PDA

View Full Version : Pointing-Up Bullets

stephen perry 1
05-03-2013, 10:58 AM
We have arrived. Like I wrote before in my Day 4 Thread of making bullets, finishing bullets is like a a Christmas present for the home business guys that sell a few, like thousands. Most of us like myself make for ourselves but there are a few that have expanded and learned ways to produce enough to keep the neighborhood in better than you can buy Factory bullets. Hats off to the small bullet Vendors, lots of time and investment on their part.

Most of you new to be bullet makers have heard the term bullet ogive. Ogives comes from the point-up process die. If you think for a second the inside of the point-up die is the final shape of your bullet except for the pressure ring. Ogives are tangents of where the bullet shank transcends into a hollowpoint, lead tip, metlat, or any other term used to describe sometimes expanding end of a bullet.

Most bullet making die sets are sold with a point-up die and are similar to the original B&A principles of bullet making dies of the 40's-50's. B&A dies have been discussed by George and others. Some have invested in additional point-up dies usually to satisify custmers needs, usually other ogive dies than what they have. A point-up die has two main responsibilities those being to give an ogive to the bullet giving finished bullet dimensions and on flat base bullets form the pressure ring as the bullet exits the die, PR's are very important because they also do 2 main things. One, the pressure ring on a bullet helps seal gases in the case to help get your powder load a chance for maximum burn rate and second is a reasonable indication of what shape your die is in. Bullet makers talk of the PR they have. PR on a bullet is measured at the base of the bullet. In my case my 6mm bullets measure .2430 on the shank and .2434 at the pressure ring. My point-up dies are carbide sleeved so my measurements thanks to the longevity of carbide should maintain this. Boat-tail bullets form an ogive too but in a different way. In the case of flat base bullets the release of the hydraulic pressure the lube and die exerts in the ogive process aids in the forming the pressure ring as the bullet exits the point-up die. Lube amounts can effect the measurement of the pressure ring. Imagine if you be inside a point-up die as a final bullet is made done. The pressure of pointing-up a bullet my mind. I know I can feel the pressure in my hand as I operate my press. One of my bullet contacts made 5/6 ogive bullets that won lots of wood for some of his customers. He called them 'uglies' given the somewhat blunt shape of the ogives.

There are ogive charts in several reloading journals and reloading manuals. Ogives are numbered. These are handy as you can lay your bullets on the graph and get an estimate of where your bullets come in. Hunting bullets can be anywhere on the ogive chart. Bullets for target work lean more towards the higher numbers. I would say most BR die sets are going to make 7-9 ogive bullets with 8's being very popular with BR crowds. Lots more here, guys like George and Randy can add allot about pointing-up bullets.

The operation of pointing-up bullets is straight forward once your die adjustments are made and cored jackets are lubed. One key don't get excited and try and get them done before your next TV show comes on. Set yourself a block of time for pointing-up, let nothing bother you and go through the operation measuring a couple as you go. The pointing process should feel the same in your hand pulling all the way through. I package my finished bullets in boxes of 300. I look at finished bullets a little different than some. I leave my bullet lube on, long explanation maybe another time.

Everything looks good for you. Make small lots. Go to Range on a percieved wind day. Practice in the conditions your going to compete in. Forget the wallet groups your ego can survive, I shoot for aggs at 100-200 yd and I'll shoot in a blow. The bullets I mahe 22 and 6 have done me well. Agg's in the .1's and .2's are needed to hold your in hot BR Shoot, that's why most shooters either their own or somebody elses. The day of the factory bullet left in the 60's. Done.

Stephen Perry

Oleman
05-03-2013, 02:32 PM
You know I saw a couple of guys shooting Bergers at Ben Avery about four weeks ago now that weren't doing to badly?

stephen perry 1
05-03-2013, 02:46 PM
ole
Wouldn't exactly call Bergers factory bullets. I shot Bergers as much as most in the day, they were competitive when I was competitive. Berger's have some automated processes that increases production of bullets but they are still closer to what the home guy makes, to me they are a high production Custom bullet outfit highly monitored for quality, similar to when they were hand pulled in Phoenix now several moons ago. Thanks for commenting, inquiring minds always want to know what goes on in the bullet business.

Which BR shooter from Washington are you hiding behind the script name. Found there are several bullet makers on here and BR Central that know the game but only make sage comments. Inquiring minds want to know how you roll your own.

Stephen Perry

BadgerBob
05-03-2013, 07:29 PM
I do have a question about pressure rings, with the Berger 17 jackets that I have I get the PR, with the jackets I make out of 22LR cases there is no PR. I had just a hand full of old 22 jackets that I got from the fellow that I bought my equipment from. When I was practicing on them they gave me a nice PR, now I ended up finding a couple thousand jackets from a fellow on GB, no matter what I do I don't have a PR with them??? Why would I get the ring with one jacket and not the others?

Thanks
Bob

stephen perry 1
05-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Bob
My take on the pressure ring is you have to have addition metal in the bottom of your jacket cup to form a pressure ring, look at a crossection of a Berger jacket the cup has significant more metal at the bottom than along the tapered walls. Your 22 rimfire jackets are not made to make bullets thus same thickness after you remove the rimfire rim all around, no PR possible. You need the extra metal in the cup to generate hydraulic forces as the finished bullet leaves the point die to form the PR. Look at some factory bullets no PR. For speed of operation and the fact that marginal accuracy is acceptable to hunters and plinkers factory point dies are not the same as you might use for accuracy work. Factory dies are set up to not generate the hydraulic forces necessary to produce the PR Br bullet makers desire. BT bullets form a PR but not as obvious as FB bullets.

Nice question Bob others will have other thoughts.

Stephen Perry

Oleman
05-04-2013, 03:19 AM
ole
Wouldn't exactly call Bergers factory bullets. I shot Bergers as much as most in the day, they were fine. They have some automated processes that increases production of bullets but they are still closer to what the home guy makes, to me they are a high production Custom bullet outfit highly monitored for quality, similar to when they were hand pulled in Phoenix now several moons ago. Thanks for commenting, inquiring minds always want to know what goes on in the bullet business.

Which BR shooter from Washington are you hiding behind the script name. Found there are several bullet makers on here and BR Central that know the game but only make sage comments. Inquiring minds want to know how you roll your own.

Stephen Perry

Well the fact is they are a high production bullet they are not hand swagged.
But right no I happen to be shooting BR in Texas.

stephen perry 1
05-04-2013, 03:46 AM
ole
That's what I said about making Berger bullets today. Good luck with your Texas BR.

Stephen