PDA

View Full Version : Swaging & Shooting?

aaronraad
05-04-2013, 05:04 AM
I know it's possible to swage your own bullets and shoot them competively (and win), but how practical is it?

I can understand BR shooters swaging their own as they pretty much stick to a calibre or two, in one weight. LR shooters have added the secondary element of high BC, to the primary element of accuracy, creating a slippery slope for bullet design. How many calibres and weights could a shooter swage for, and still shoot to win?

Kiwishooter
05-04-2013, 08:53 AM
The answer would depend on how much time you want to spend swaging and how much time you want to spend shooting, and what else you have to spend your time doing.
How many calibre's and weights do you swage at the moment........Kiwi

stephen perry 1
05-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Kiwi
I think this guys more a talker than a doer.

Kiwi I'm done with the bullet making series for the second time. I'm dedicating the whole enchilada to the current and next generations of bullet makers, some don't yet know yet the joy they will have rolling their own bullets as we say in the States. Much thanks to George Ulrich, he has been our guru all along. Hopefully these 8 Threads on bullet making will cover every aspect that I know delivered in a coherent manner that those that want to learn can do so and ask meaningful questions. The knoweldge is there to build top cabin bullets, the best in the World. Thanks everybody.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

george ulrich
05-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Stephen, Aaron is a shooter I am very good friends with his mentor in Australia. Aaron as for how many bullet caliber combo's you want to try I would keep things simple maybe two calibers stick with pretty much a proven weight area and work with a few different things. learn how to tune load and watch targets for what they are telling you. george

Utah Shooter
05-05-2013, 01:49 AM
Kiwi
I think this guys more a talker than a doer.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
:confused:

Aaron. I understand you on that one. I am just building up my inventory of bullet making dies and am wondering when is enough? By the time I make them is there going to be enough time for shooting them? Do you get much shooting time in after the bullet making business hours?

stephen perry 1
05-05-2013, 02:06 AM
George
I have over 25 BR barrels that I would shoot any one of them any day they have shot all shot consistent aggs in the .2's at 100 and 200 aggs, some .1aggs. Mainly 2 calibers 22 and 6 PPC. I also have .222 and 6BR short. I don't trash barrels and very little brass. Gary taught me that. I make 22 and 6 bullets.

Stephen

aaronraad
05-06-2013, 01:11 AM
The answer would depend on how much time you want to spend swaging and how much time you want to spend shooting, and what else you have to spend your time doing.
How many calibre's and weights do you swage at the moment........Kiwi

I'm doing a few http://www.antipodeanindustrial.com.au at the moment.

I'd be doing all of them listed but K&S went and changed their spec on music wire diameter.

aaronraad
05-06-2013, 01:55 AM
:confused:

Aaron. I understand you on that one. I am just building up my inventory of bullet making dies and am wondering when is enough? By the time I make them is there going to be enough time for shooting them? Do you get much shooting time in after the bullet making business hours?

For me personally, I shoot very little at the moment as I derive more enjoyment from bullet swaging. The astigatism and myopia in my shooting eye hollow out the groups after about the 6th/7th shot. I feel I can put more back into shooting sports by swaging at this stage.

I do some range testing every now and again. Once I know they shoot and I don't change anything, there is little else to prove? I'm building a .257 cal F-Open rig at the moment, but that's to develop a new .257 calibre projectile. I'll sell or prize this rifle once I'm finished and start work on the 8mm projectile.

I've allocated about 10-15hrs per week for swaging as I haven't given up my day job. First marriage is still holding with the two kids as well. :cool: I keep trying to apply the 80-20 rule to get more done. I agree with George if you're swaging for yourself and looking for good results. It's easy to get sucked into multiple dies when long lead times require advanced orders, and there are so many designs to discover.

george ulrich
05-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Aaron, I have sort of the same problem but worse every time someone wants a different die I make two so Ihave so many its hard to chose its better just to keep it simple, not to say I play with something new at short range I don't see anything major in design advancements. jackets are a different story. george

stephen perry 1
05-07-2013, 12:06 PM
George congratulations to you and Aaron to keep your die work going with some of the eye problems and pushbacks your health sometimes gives you. I'm 62, things could be coming my way but I'm coaching Wrestling and work on the roads trying to fight back. Gary Ocock was a wrestler we share the interest.

Stephen Perry