PDA

View Full Version : What tools are used for measuring?

Utah Shooter
06-05-2013, 04:14 AM
Tell us about what tools you are using for measuring? I would assume a Micrometer for diameter but are you using a digital or not? Are you using something else? Are you using anything to measure the length?

stephen perry 1
06-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Utah
Use 1/10 mic with standards for measuring bullet heel, shank, lead line. Use 1/10 tubing mic for measuring jacket thickness. I make no measurement of bullet length.

Stephen Perry

ray h
06-05-2013, 03:26 PM
I use a Starett 1" mic, V-mic and tube mic along with several 6'' verniers. I recently added a set pin ga's. I need to find a good blade mic when I have the extra money. I have several dial set ups for checking run out but really seldom use them now.

Utah Shooter
06-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Ray, what are you using the V-Mic for?

ray h
06-06-2013, 01:30 AM
I use it mainly as a regular mic. I always wanted one and found this at Hershey car show for little of nothing. I have a high confidence factor when using it along with the pin gauges used as standards when checking neck ODs etc. I've got some great deals on tools at car shows for some reason.

stephen perry 1
06-06-2013, 02:01 AM
Utah
Caliper for length of bullet. Micrometer 1/10 is what you want for precise measurement of jackets and finished bullets. Tubjng mic Starrett/Sinclair and Mitutoyo. Standards are what you need also you can buy a short set I have a Mitutoyo full set. Lots of good mics out there I have Fowler, Starrett, Mitutoyo, Mueller, Brown & Sharpe, Peacock. One's as good as the other. As a bullet maker you need a 1/10 mic.

Stephen Perry

georgeld
06-06-2013, 04:38 AM
A way back in the early 60's when I was in the machine shop I had a full set of Brown n Sharp tools. Big tool chest full. Then the plant closed down and wasn't any machinist jobs to be had anywhere.
Next thing I found was driving an OTR semi. Sure didn't need those fancy tools for that. So I sold 'em all for about what I had in 'em.

Many a time since I've wished I'd just kept them all these yrs. Though no idea what I'd of used 'em for til three yrs ago when I finally got a nice lathe.
Now that I'm laid up and can't even get into the shop the tools and lathe are just setting out there collecting dust. What a shame huh?

A few yrs ago when a shooting buddy died, his widow called and asked if I'd like to have his loading stuff. He'd had a truck repair shop and a whole box full of nice mic's and other machinist tools. Besides a great deal of reloading supplies and tools. She told me to: "Take 'em all, but, the boys want his guns". Awwwwwww shucks! He had around 40 long guns and maybe half dozen revolvers. I sure would have liked to have a few of each, especially his shotguns.

Funny thing about that stuff was I'd dipped into the barrels of shotgun hulls and given him thousands of 20ga hulls. Turned out he'd filled several Red Dot powder kegs with 'em. Those old carboard jobs that would hold about ten gallons if liquid. The 'boys' never looked in them, just the lable and told her all that powder was dangerous and might blow the house up. I got a p/up box and cab FULL of things. I boxed things up and one of the boys carried it all out and loaded my old trk with it. Had more trading material than at any other time in my life. Lasted nearly 3yrs before I swapped what I couldnt' use for what I could. I'd never given it a thought when Mac died until one morning she called to offer and ask etc.

aaronraad
06-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Hi Utah

I started out with a Mitutoyo 0-25mm digit micrometer with 0.001"(193-101 M810-25) readout and cheap 5 piece measuring kit that included an 8" digital vernier.

When I knew my first set of dies were on their way I then started watching that large internet auction site that shall not be named. I scored a near new Mitutoyo 0-1" tube micrometer(115-313 BMB3-1 "V), and a used Mitutoyo 0-1"(293-761-30) with readout to 0.00005".

Not soon after starting I got a Mitutoyo 1-2" (293-762-30 MDC-2"P) digital micrometer. I must have won a Mitutoyo 2-3" (293-763-30 MDC-3"P) in the same auction because I just found those in the cupboard as well. Both sets have the gauage included.

I also have a Sinclair bullet comparator stand with the dial gauge readout to 0.001". I also have all their bullet gauges in .224 to .338 cal now.

As for scales I have a set of the A&D H-1500 (1500 grain version of the H-100) with 0.1gr/0.01g readout. A cheap set of Jewllery scales 0.02gr/0.001g readout between 0-50grams. Lastly a set of A&D FX-120i 0.02gr/0.001g scales. I use F1 grade checkweights from G&G in 2g, 5g, 10g, 2x20g, 50g and 100g.

I'm saving up for a quality set of digital vernier calipers and considering bearing surface measuring device also.

stephen perry 1
06-08-2013, 01:55 AM
aaron
Besides all the name brand micrometers, calipers, and lathe gauges I have. I have several Craftsman calipers 0-1 and 1-2 and mics 0-1 and calipers. I have the same sinclair/starrett tubing mic you have, actually my smith wants it so he's trading one of his Mitutoyo tubing mics for my sinclair/starrett.

The Craftsmen were my first gauges, a mic and caliper .001. Still use both for my general reloading. Good stuff. I also have a full set of Mitutoyo Standards also.

Stephen Perry

aaronraad
06-09-2013, 01:17 PM
One reason I buy the 'brand names' for measuring equipment is that I'm buying second-hand.

Firstly, all manufacturers make duds that get onto the market. The better manufacturers just make duds less frequently, or to a level not yet perceivalbe by the consumer. Secondly, I live in hope that owners of 'brand name' measuring equipment are more likely to look after, service and repair their units as and when required. Not always true but a bit of background information on the seller never hurts.

I also consider more generic or less known brands (even from that large mandarin speaking population) as adequate, but only when purchased new.

Whether buying new or used remember to keep some funds for quality gauges for calibration and checking. If anything changes or doesn't seem right you need to be able eliminate doubt to keep moving forward in a timely manner. I literally treat mine with kitten gloves.

stephen perry 1
06-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Like I said earlier I have a sinclair/starrett tubing mic table model that I am trading my smith for a mitutoyo hand held tubing mic, both 1/10 mics. Both do the same I like to have a mic in my hand. He has 2 so It's not a steal. He says the table model will be easier him to operate. Any feelings one way or another on tubing mic's. I have a full set of Mitutoyo Standards that I can check all my micrometers with.

Stephen Perry

aaronraad
06-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Like I said earlier I have a sinclair/starrett tubing mic table model that I am trading my smith for a mitutoyo hand held tubing mic, both 1/10 mics. Both do the same I like to have a mic in my hand. He Has 2 so It's not a steel. He says the table model will be easier him to operate. Any feelings one way or another on tubing mic's. I have a full set of Mitutoyo Standards that I can check all my micrometers with.

Stephen Perry

The deeper the tubing mic can measure the closer to the jacket base you can measure. Look at the gauge used in the Hornady video from the 32 to 37 second mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EAyLUO3n1c

Notice the step in the Mitutoyo prevents you from measuring more than roughly 5/8" deep:
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_749008073_2.jpg

I haven't put my hands onto a set of the RCBS units but they might be more useful given the deepth but it all depends on that taper?
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_749013668_1.jpg

Here is another example I've considered and I'm sure there would be an equivalent in the US - http://www.measumax.com/10-130 the deisgn is useful but the accuracy let's the unit down.

So it's not long before you're looking at http://www.bullettipping.com/products_concentricitygauge.html

and then thinking 'Should I fork out for one of these and still have to modify the right-hand gauge to work?': http://concentricitygage.com/picts/bullet%20gage/3a%20bullet_gage.jpg

stephen perry 1
06-14-2013, 01:54 PM
aaron
Got one similar to the bullettipping unit you show that Bruno sells. His uses a .0005 gauge. I do like that CDI system you are showing that looks to be the best possible way to measure a bullet. Got a link. Have all kinds of ways to measure cases. One my smith gave me made out hardwood can insert any gauge. Have a case jig made by Joe Wagner that some have copied. For use with .001 gauge like the RCBS case jig.

Stephen Perry

aaronraad
06-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Sorry guys that was a bit of teaser without the link :D

http://concentricitygage.com/munitions_applications.htm

Check out Gauging Applications #2 at the bottom of the page...do you think we'd ever see one shipped to Australia under the current ITAR system :(