PDA

View Full Version : Lighter .20 caliber bullets

Mntngoat
06-29-2007, 04:58 PM
While seating cores last night for some 40 grain 20 caliber bullets, my punch was just shy of bottoming out on the die. I want to try making some mid- 30 grain weights and since the core will be even shorter there will be no way seat the cores without a longer seating punch.

Has anyone made up any under 40 grain weights using the standard punch Corbin shipped out?

Michael

Bayou City Boy
06-29-2007, 06:04 PM
It's been quite a few years back, but I played with some 30-32 grain bullets when I first got my swaging set up. I never had a problem with the core seating punch.

I don't remember and no longer have any notes on the specific jacket trim length I was using, but they were comparable to the current factory 32 grain bullets in length.

My press/dies are from Dave Corbin.

About all I make anymore is a 38 grain HP that I shoot in both my Tac 20 rifles and in my 204 Rugers. It's swaged typically using a Sierra jacket trimmed to ~0.625". I have used Corbin jackets trimmed to the same length, but the Sierras are more accurate in my rifles....

I use 0.750" long .224" jackets (both Sierra and Corbin) which I swage down to 20 caliber and then trim to appropriate lengths.

-BCB

Rodgervich
06-30-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't know what length the "standard" punch length is but the Corbin set I have works fine for short .20 bullets. I made a few hundred 28-29gr HP for my Shrike with no problem.
Maybe we can swap pics and dimensions and see what you have/need to make small bullets.