PDA

View Full Version : Noob question

ohnomrbillk
10-27-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm still waiting on my first Swage setup from Blackmon. It's a 22 LR brass to 224 bullets with boat tail and 7s point form.

I'm thinking I'd like to also make something super explosive.

If I could do something Similar to Calhoon's 22 cal 52gr double hollow point rebated boat tail, I'd consider it.

I'm certainly open to other design ideas.

To duplicate the calhoon, I'm thinking the lead core's hollow point is created by a different core seater that has a reduced diameter tip. Is that correct?

For the jacket's hollow point, I'm thinking the ejection pin on the point form die needs to be larger in diameter to create the larger open tip. Is that correct?

Is pin replacement within the point form die possible? Do I need a whole new point form?

What diameter should the hollow point be in the lead core?

What diameter should the hollow point be in the jacket?

I really appreciate any input.

iiranger
11-08-2013, 07:01 PM
To borrow from my association with education, limited, "you need to do your HOMEWORK."

Dave Corbin has his book on his web site, "Rediscover Swaging # ???" for your study, sans pictures ... not much of a loss. His brother has a book on his web site, rceco.com.

My limited knowledge the explosiveness is governed more by velocity than anything else. Trying to get a trapdoor springfield to explode a bullet, CHORE.

Swift, .204 R, the problem is trying to get the bullet to hold together. I suspect that Mr. Calhoon uses a punch to make a hollow in the lead core after it is seated and the bullet pointed.

When you have "jelled" your ideas, you talk to your die maker with $$ in hand. Anything is possible but not always practical.

Two more thoughts... adding a substance to the hollow helps it to open up. The wax/grease on/in long rifle hollowpoints. Long time ago, I read it in Gun Digest circa 1900, a Mr. Hoxey bought ammo from the big names, Western, Winchester, Peters, AND drilled a hole in the nose of the bullet AND fastened in a ball bearing to help the thing expand... I believe a steel ball bearing would be a legal violation today... armor piercing, but the Remington bronze point is ancient and today the "expander" seems to be plastic in various colors... !!

Unless you like to pay to learn, study first, save a bunch and get what you want more quickly and easily. LUCK. Happy trails.

aaronraad
11-16-2013, 05:07 AM
See Corbin's description of the OTHP at the bottom of the page.

http://www.corbins.com/design.htm

This would be something you have to spec out with Larry from the start in terms of the core seating punch. In saying that though any changes to standard die designs tends to add significantly to lead times. I only buy dies that are in stock now and modify if necessary from there.

I'm not sure which lead or lead alloy Mr. Calhoon uses but 99.9%Pb is very soft and will readily expand.

Depending on the meplat diameter, the ejection pin might still be contacting the jacket instead of pushing off the lead core. You would want an ejection pin diameter of at least 0.062" which is pretty standard amongst the die makers. Larger is better for expansion of course but are only talking .224 calibre projectiles.

Which jacket and jacket length are you looking to use?