PDA

View Full Version : filled a doe tag

csterner
12-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Since I used my buck tag and since mom and tyler cant seem to get'r done, I took the inline out for a doe tyesterday morning. Halfway up the tree I noticed a doe in the field that busted me. I figured it was over but sat it out.

About 7:45 I caught movement and had a whole herd of deer running through the field towards the thicket I was in. I readied the rifle and they all ran into an opening and stopped in a big clearing. I tried to pick a big doe but they were all wadded up together. I lifted my head and saw 2 more coming as the first group moved on. The two entered the opening and the second was a big doe. She stopped quartering away briefly enough for me to level the crosshairs and touch it off.

At the shot, the smoke flew and I saw nothing laying and both deer hauling @ss into the thicket, disappearing quickly into the cedars. I carefully reloaded, not as easy as it sounds in a tiny lock on stand, and got down after waiting a few minutes.

I walked up to where they were, about 80 yards thru thick, nasty briars. I definitely drew blood...mine. I was all tore up. When I got to where I thought they were I found nothing. I lined up my stand with where I was and notice a bush in the way. I moved over 10 yards to where I had an opening and quickly found blood. Didn't need cliff's hound today. It looked like you took two paint brushes along the goldenrod stalks. She ran about 80 yards and was piled up.

I gutted her quickly and got her to the butcher. This area is within the CWD unit and since I don't live in the unit, I was restricted from removing the carcass. This is the first deer I ever had to take to a butcher. Going to get the loins out and have them make the rest into hot dogs. My two year old granddaughter loves hot dogs.:D

TC Encore 50 cal with 100 gr 777 loose powder under a dead center 357 cal 195 gr tipped bullet in a duplex sabot. Velocity about 2200 fps at muzzle. Entered mid ribs and exitted behind the opposite shoulder. Massive internal damage to this big, old doe. This Is the first PA doe I've shot In probably ten years. Had the backstraps for breakfast. Doesn't get much better.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/10/g8y5.jpg

thekriebles
12-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Congrats again Charlie! You've had a great deer season this year!

sicero
05-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Good shooting Charlie, Do you have to butcher your deer in the county where shot. Kenny

csterner
05-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Kenny...

since CWD showed up 2 years ago, we are not allowed to transfer any of brain/spinal matter out of the arbitrary zone they mapped out. Unfortunately I don't live in the zone where this one was killed and had to take it to a butcher in the unit. I could have boned out the meat and disposed of the carcass in the zone, but didn't want to mess with it. We can transport the whole carcass anywhere else in the state.

ramos
05-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Nice going! Venison back-strap for you and HEALTHY hot-dogs for the grand daughter.

This old world sure is getting full of rules and regulations, that's for sure. :(