PDA

View Full Version : Cooper load testing

Phasor
10-17-2006, 02:20 AM
Hi all,

I posted this over in the 204 Ruger forum and thought I would do it here also. I finally got about 50 factory rounds through my Cooper Phoenix 204 Ruger completing the breakin of the barrel. Got out a last week and did a little load testing. Here are some of the results:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k253/Vecter/118-1894_IMG.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k253/Vecter/118-1893_IMG.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k253/Vecter/118-1892_IMG.jpg

The groups are 3 shot except the one with Rel 10X which is a 5 shot group. Shooing was done from a bench at 100 yards and the winds were 10 to 15 mph. The rifle is much more capable than I am, but I think that it will do better with a little more tuning.

Anyway, I am very pleased with the results,

Phasor

DittoHead
10-17-2006, 05:14 AM
That looks like a successful test. :)

montdoug
10-17-2006, 08:47 AM
You should be pleased, good shooting. Did you run it over a chrono?
Glad to hear I'm not the only psycho that spends a lot of time breaking in my rifles. At this point if I could just talk myself into firing away and it all went well, cleaned easy and caused no problems I'd be bummed for life after all the time I've spent doing break in. So "Good for you Phasor! Good for you"!

Phasor
10-17-2006, 01:42 PM
I had my first custom rifle built in 1982 by Fred Sinclair. It was a 30-338 Winchester built on a Model 700 action, McMillian Stock, and Hart barrel. That is when I started breaking in barrels. I followed his recommended procedure and that rifle shoots. So, I have done it on all of them since then. It may not help them accuracy wise, but it gives me piece of mind. In 1983 my wife bought me a Remington model 700 BDL in 17 Rem. That is when I became hooked on micro bore rifles. Finally shot the barrel out on it and now it's at Greg Tannel's getting fitted with a Lilja barrel and H-S stock again in 17 Rem with a tight neck chamber.

I'm happy with the way the Cooper shoots! And I'm sure the new 17 will be just as accurate.:) I'm sure that it will keep an old guy like me busy...:D

Life is good.

Thanks for the replys, Phasor

Phasor
10-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Montdoug,

Sorry, I din't answer your question about if I chronographed the loads. No, I didn't as I was pressed a little for time...elk season!. I am going to try and get out next week for more load testing and this time I will chrono and post the results. Did I say I was pleased with the way the Cooper shoots!:D

Phasor

Scott Elliott
10-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Phasor,
Looks good :) You should be happy.
You've also got a 17? What did you
pick up?
Have Fun,
Scott

Phasor
10-17-2006, 08:02 PM
The 17 started life as a 17 Remington model 700 in 1983. I finally shot the barrel out and took it to Greg Tannel for a rebuild. He is truing the action, Sako extractor, bushing the firing pin, double bushing the bolt, and his usual magic. It is also getting an H-S Precision Stock and Lilja 1 in 9 barrel with a tight neck chamber. I will be turning the necks. I know that it will be a shooter also.

I haven't done anything to the Cooper other than break it in slowly. I am impressed with it's abilities. And.....I'm having a lot of fun with these micro bore rifles. I just don't like recoil anymore...;)

Phasor