PDA

View Full Version : 221FB vs 17MK4

Qaz
10-17-2006, 07:16 PM
I think the 221fb is a dandy little round in a encore pistol. I was was wandering the practical difference between the 221 and the 17mk4 in terms of use in a pistol, advantages and disadvantages, ect...

Qaz

Alan in GA
10-17-2006, 11:30 PM
I took the .221FB and shot 500 rounds thru it at ground squirrels from a Suburban window while riding in cattle pastures. It was super explosive, but after a while it seemed to be overkill. I think I still like the 17 caliber for ground squirrels anyway. I don't think I'll miss the .221. Mine shoots 40 Vmaxes about 3,675 fps avg over 20.5/1680,,a great load. Just more than needed for dirt rats.
Alan in GA.
ps,,addendum: you guys need to realize I'm on a 17 kick and have been for about a half dozen years or so. The 221FireBall is a SUPER ROUND that is a screamer with the load mentioned. I just needed something to put on a SS Match Pac Nor barrel in 17 cal I have lying around. I also just sold my only .223 CZ Premium that was just 'not getting used' at all. I intend on using my 17s for all my varminting,,with the intention of going up to the .250 Ackley Improved I have for the 'next step' of coyotes or deer. The 17 Mach IV will have to do if I get a prarie dog trip chance,,but that's not in the forcast. I'll just enjoy wearing out these 17 caliber rifles for as long as they are so interesting to me.
22 calibers have become cannons to me!! [?]. If I need a cannon, might as well get out my .250 Savage Improved.
I"ve still got an unopened box of Vmax 75 gr .257 bullets I need to feed to my .250 AI. Too much needs doing in the shop to be accumulating rifles that go stagnant.....a bad thing in my opinion.
I'm hunting deer varmints with most of my "spare? time" here in GA. Oh, the .20 Vartarg does sound like perfection. I still haven't experimented with the 17 M4 yet, tho.
later, Alan in Ga

REM
10-18-2006, 12:12 AM
I would think the main differences would be the Mach IV would be a flatter shooter but the 221 will carry more punch on the terminal end.
They are both winners as far as I'm concerned. I've never had a cartridge on the fireball case that I wasn't impressed with.
REM

17VLD
10-18-2006, 03:10 AM
I think that there is a third child of the Fireball case that deserves attention...
How about the 20VarTarg,it really would be a super round in a Contender or Encore.
TTFN
Matt

Alan in GA
10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
ttt bring to top.

tim simbari
10-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Matt is right. I shot a MK IV for years... sold it when I got a TAC20. Knew I'd never pick it up again.VARTARG would be my 2nd choice.