PDA

View Full Version : WTB 17 Fireball Redding S neck die -not Fl S-die

hemiallen
03-11-2014, 12:24 AM
I just realized one of my 2-17 Fireballs has a "generous" chamber and using my 20VT s-FL die with no stem and the appropriate Bushing sizes the body more than I would like to. Just started using bushing dies a few weeks ago.

I ordered a 223 S die for my son and it is a FL die ( OOPS- I just realized they make both in NECK S and FL-S dies), so I bought the CORRECT neck die for him too yesterday, but the dealer is out of stock of the Neck-s die for my 17 Fireball.

So I am hopeful someone has either the 20VT-S-Neck die so I can drop my 17 cal bushing in, or a 17 FB S-NECK die which would be the better of the 2 options, I believe either will work, if 20vt is what I get I'll just use a punch to deprime the cases.

Thanks

Allen

csterner
03-11-2014, 12:26 AM
Midway has the 17fb type S die in stock.

hemiallen
03-11-2014, 02:38 AM
Ah

I misread it last night. It is special order only, due in by may 30th if I order it today.

I would be surprised if that is correct, Redding told me 6 months ago their custom shop is closed to do common calibers, I'll call tomorrow to see if they would fill the midway order if I order it tomorrow.

It will be too late for my next vermin hunt, but I have a mess of new 17 fb brass I can put in the mix that I was holding for the current 500 to run out of steam,errr primer pockets being loose.

Thanks

Allen

csterner
03-11-2014, 11:49 AM
they have the FL S die in stock...just set it to minimally bump the shoulder each time and you're good to go. Or screw it out a 1/4 turn more and don't touch the body at all...same thing as a neck only, just won't quite be sizing down as far.

M595NUT
03-11-2014, 01:28 PM
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0007671204

hemiallen
03-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks.

I believe I figured out my problem this morning. The 20vt die I have is marked b/NK ( from die set 78636- came with another gun properly chambered)....so from what I can tell it is what I wanted to buy!!!

The issue is, my Once fired brass diameter at the shoulder is .005" larger than the NK die is cut to, ie the shoulder in my gun's chamber is .010" larger than new brass. If I take the die out of the press and drop a new case in it, it goes in about .100" more than a once fired and resized case. The new brass actually is loose enough to rattle in the die while the once fired and resized in this die is snug enough to need a shellholder to pull it out if you push it in with light force.

So I believe with this gun I am stuck doing a partial resize even with the Nk die and appropriate bushing, the problem is, if I just run the die down to size say 75% of the neck's length the brass won't fit in the gun, like it did before any resizing. To get the bolt to close I need to run the die down to within .005" of shellholder contact. I thought a bushing die was to avoid reforming a case well-formed to a chamber AND to not have to lube it, my gun seems to not allow that. Dam factory chamber ...

Allen