PDA

View Full Version : 5mm Mag Strikes again

GLWenzl
10-19-2006, 01:17 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/glwenzl/IMG_1222.jpg

This was the main reason I started shooting a 5mm Mag... I like the logo!!

However it has proved itself to be one heck of a PD round and a great low noise, back yard, critter getter!!!

Been working looong days with a terrible cold and came home just as it was getting dark when I seen him running for the barn.... :eek: I have the routine down by now and it didn't take long to grab the 5mm Mag with the awesome Simmons 44 Mag scope (I know what you are thinking but if you haven't shot through one of these don't knock em!! I'm telling ya they are awesome especially at 50 bucks ea when I got the last 4)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/glwenzl/IMG_1214.jpg

He didn't move when I slipped around the corner of another building with riffle already shouldered, he knew that he'd been had (by the bad 5mm Mag)..

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f388/glwenzl/CopyofIMG_1217.jpg

If that wasn't enough to make my day after I got clobbered by some hugs when I came through the door I found a package of bullets in the mail!!! Life is good!! (Even when you are sick and tired)

Larry in VA
10-19-2006, 02:05 AM
:D Dang Gary! As good as any 007 Spy Thriller.:D

English
10-19-2006, 02:27 AM
Gary, way to go!!! By the way I have one of those scopes and actually put it on my (can I say this caliber here?) .243 that I use for deer hunting. I really like it alot.

Mike

17VLD
10-19-2006, 03:15 AM
Thats what you call varmint huntin,not just varmint shootin.
I love to hear a tale of a fella puttin the sneak on a varmint.
TTFN
Matt:)

DittoHead
10-19-2006, 03:57 AM
That’s a good looking animal. Should make a nice fur hat for that cold weather. :D

foxhunter
10-19-2006, 04:45 AM
now we will never know when spring is coming, thats ok we get to many tornado's in the spring anyway.

good hunting

Eagle_view
10-19-2006, 05:06 AM
Get well

Lowell

Cajun Blake
10-19-2006, 11:24 AM
nice job gary and thx for sharing the pics. the ol' trusty 5mm scores again.

cb <*)))>{

GLWenzl
10-20-2006, 01:12 AM
It's 2 for 2 now, two nights in a row!

Jay T.
10-20-2006, 02:46 AM
No picures of #2?

Jay T.

Wild Bill
10-20-2006, 04:03 AM
Way to go Gary!

fat cat
08-17-2009, 02:56 AM
GL, how long you been shooting a 5mm mag? I took mine out this morning popped a few turtles still doing good with the new 5mm ammo! Fatty

ab_bentley
08-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Is that the RF or CF version?

GLWenzl
08-18-2009, 12:29 AM
FC, I am not sure but not very long. I was thinking I started shooting it before I did my 17 SM and that project was completed by the fall of 2005 so it may have been around 03-04ish???? At any rate I wish that I could say that I had enjoyed this lil round since it was first introduced back when I was a teenager…

Glad to hear ya out shooting yours! That gets me pumped to go do something with mine!!! Sadly I have not shot either of mine lately… Only because of my family and work consuming more of my time (mostly family right now) and I really enjoy it even though the shooting gets pushed back more and more, I have been blessed big time with a great bunch of kids…..

I will make an extra effort to get out and shoot it yet this year and also try out a very fine looking case that is begging to be loaded up

I also have a custom Contender barrel coming and when it arrives I am sure… well you know…. its always the new one that gets all the attention!

Adam you made me go look to see what one it is??? Figured I could tell by the scope in the pic but I’ll be darned if I did swap scopes and both my CF & RF 591s are wearing a cheap Sightron now (I think the Simmons went on a 17 AH)… going by the date I am pretty sure this is the CF version and 32 gr v-Max which has never fired a RF round by me since I received it from one of the fine fellers here on Saubier… That pic sure brings back a good memory!!!

I ordered in a bunch of 26 gr VG bullets a long time ago to do some load testing in the 5mm Mag and compare them to the 32 v-max in a PD town… Had high aspirations of having it ready to go last spring but sadly this too has been on the back burner simmering….. I think that I have enough simmering projects to keep me busy until I am an old man at the rate I am moving forward right now…..

johno
08-18-2009, 05:01 AM
Gary, ive been offered a tube magazine variation down here for approx $60.00USD. I have said i'll take it and have my fingers crossed that the wholesaler will be able to get ammo. Apparently the distributer in the U.S. has asked for expressions of interest down here re the ammo. I think he said he would take 20,000. That is only a drop in the bucket compared to the sales over there but I hope others may become aware of this and jump on board. It looks like a very efficient little cartridge

Any Aussie or Kiwi's interested let me know and i'll put you with the wholesaler

Johno

Bayou City Boy
08-18-2009, 05:51 AM
I like the Remington 5MM logo too...

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp276/bayoucity/5MM20Caliber087.jpg

This is an old (@ 2001) pic of the Remington 591 I had converted to CF with Steve Schroeder's conversion. I shoot the old Hornady 33 grain 20 caliber bullet in this rifle. After I bought the rifle used in 2000, I lopped off @ 2" on the barrel - just enough to to get rid of the front sight on the rifle, and I refinished the stock. Because it was well-worn, I worked the pistol grip logo over by cleaning the indented lettering out and then spray painted over the entire grip cap. I then took a sanding pad with fine sand paper and sanded the extra paint off, leaving the indented lettering as it appears in the photo.

Also, like Gary, I don't shoot it enough, but mine is extremely accurate using the CF ammo/brass from Schroeder in side of 150 yards. I've popped a few fairly close range PD's with it as well as a couple of West Texas jack rabbits with it a few years back, but I haven't done a lot real hunting with the rifle since getting it modified for CF.

Just seeing this thread made me think I should get it out and shoot it a little more. It a fun and very effective short range rifle/cartridge combination. The good thing about the Schroeder conversion is that you can simply knock out a drift pin and replace the CF bolt head with the original RF bolt head and shoot the new RF ammo if you want. Changing from one to the other takes less than five minutes.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp276/bayoucity/5MM20Caliber098.jpg

-BCB

fat cat
08-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Those some nice looking 5mms! Got my 592 shooting good with the new ammo havent tried the C/F conversion in her yet but might this fall. Anyone heard anymore about the new stuff from Centurion or CCI?

Bayou City Boy
08-20-2009, 03:14 AM
I wasn't aware that CCI was making ammo.... Centurian I am aware of, but not CCI...

-BCB

fat cat
08-23-2009, 02:40 PM
OK Marine PMI whats going on?:D ~FATTY

MarinePMI
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Not sure about CCI... :cool:

But...see my other post. :D