PDA

View Full Version : Grease for press linkages & shaft

Ed N
02-06-2015, 12:49 PM
I would like to know what you are using to grease your bullet making press linkages & shaft.
Also how often are you lubricating your press.

Thanks,
Ed

george ulrich
02-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Hello Ed, I tend to stay away from grease unless press is on vee ways. I like slick50 lube a little on ram and linkage points you are good to go. If you are into high volume once a day...George

dsandfort
02-06-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm a fan of Phil Wood Tenacious Oil. It's for bicycles but has lots of applications in our world.

Ed N
02-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Hello Ed, I tend to stay away from grease unless press is on vee ways. I like slick50 lube a little on ram and linkage points you are good to go. If you are into high volume once a day...George

Thanks George, should I be disassembling the linkages or just apply the Slick50 on top of the linkage points.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed N
02-06-2015, 10:55 PM
I'm a fan of Phil Wood Tenacious Oil. It's for bicycles but has lots of applications in our world.

Thanks dsandfort

trotterlg
02-07-2015, 04:07 AM
For any steel on steel lube I use Automotive CV joint grease. It is very thin and made for very high pressure shear type lubrication. It seems to work very well on my loading presses and rifle bolts. Larry

honest hop
07-23-2015, 06:33 PM
I would like to know what you are using to grease your bullet making press linkages & shaft.
Also how often are you lubricating your press.

Thanks,
Ed I use Concentric Centers in my lathes. using the 'generic looking tube' [for standard grease guns] is 'bout $24 a tube. it is a super great high pressure grease. it has a red color. I ruined a #7 morse taper [$700] Concentric Center. I was sick about it. [6 mos old] I sent it back for a hopeful repair I knew would be at least $350. I sent a letter with it. a gent called me from Concentric. I used an inferior grease. if I would buy a min order 6 tubes @ $24 ea., they would repair the center FREE!! talk about a choice. now I got about 2 century's worth. I use it in many high pressure, dead centers, offset barrel taper pushrod centers, reload press points of high pressure, bolt cams etc., etc.