PDA

View Full Version : cases for oal guage

tmodel
10-10-2007, 11:12 PM
What thread size for cases to use on the Stoney Point.
tmodel.

wwbrown
10-10-2007, 11:34 PM
5/16 x 36 as read off the tap I use for making COL cases, if I do not have a expander of correct to expand the neck I use a rat tail file. After drilling and tapping run through a fl sizing die in case your clamping or vise made the case out of round.

I do not buy any COL cases anymore.

wade

grousesetter
10-12-2007, 10:44 PM
How do you size the neck to make it work with the Stoney Point gauge? I have not bought one because I don't know how to size the neck so that the bullet slides correctly.

I'm assuming that the neck tension will be too much after full length sizing.

GrouseSetter

Larry in VA
10-13-2007, 03:09 AM
I use to split the necks with a fine coping saw blade and hand pinch the two neck sides till a slip fit is acquired, this left burrs that needed to be dealt with though . I now use a Redding Neck “S” sizing die with appropriate size bushing. A little case lube helps the bullet to slide better.
Larry

GLShooter
01-28-2008, 09:42 PM
I have used a dremel tool to go on the inside and open up the neck on the case. I am using cases fired in that specific chamber so find there is very little interference with the bullet and the neck.

The hardest part I have in making them is in holding the case solid while I drill it out for the tap. I can hold the bigger cases in a regular die as enough case rim remains but on the 223 case head size there is not enough of the rim to pull the case out of the die. (Don't ask how I know!! LOL)