PDA

View Full Version : 22 Squirrel Reamer

dondford
10-25-2006, 05:57 AM
Does anyone know of a 22 Squirrel reamer available?

Don

Daryl
10-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Don - you could try www.reamerrentals.com They use Pacific reamers.
: On the other hand, a .17AH reamer with .22 bushing, and .22 neck throater will do the job.
; Do you have the big book on Wildcats, called "Wildcat Cartridges, Combo Edition" by Wolf publishing? It does list the .22/6/40, which is a 1" long Hornet with a long neck. It has stricles for both pistol and as rifle loads. This round has a 40 degree shoulder, with a .290" shoulder at ,645", probably similar to the Squirrel. m Also, it has the .22 Long Snapper, which is another 1" case on the Hornet, shorter neck, and thus larger case capacity. It's shoulder is at .830" and is .287" dimaeter with a 30 degree shoudler.
; They'll run velocities up to 2,400fps with 40gr. Jacketed, which is the European velocity for factory Hornet (2,350fps) and whaever velocity up to that with cast bullets of varying weights.
; Interesting little rounds.

dondford
10-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Daryl:
I don't own the wildcat book but have seen it. I was familiar with the Long Snapper, but not the .22/6/40. They are interesting rounds but I think I will stay with the Squirrel.
I have used the reamer rental company before and was pleased with their service and prices. I checked their list and they don't show the 22 Squirrel, only the 17 version. I guess an alternative would be to ream with a 17 Squirrel reamer and then open the throat up. I hate to buy a reamer for a "one-off" build.
I'm hoping to shoot heavier cast bullets at around 1000-1200 for small game meat hunting; the sub sonic speed would be nice for low noise, but also was hoping for around 2500 fps with 40 gr (maybe 35 gr) jacketed bullets for shorter range varmint shooting. I'm thinking it could be a versatile little rifle.

Don

Daryl
10-26-2006, 01:50 AM
The Squirrel should be in between the Long Snapper and the .22/6/40, actually labeled by Clymer as the Gil Sengel .22/6/55. he used a 14" twist but says the heavier bullets didn't stabilize with that twist, so re-named it the .22/6/40. His velocities ran up to 2,494fps with 40gr. Sierra and Speer jacketed bullets(case full of W296 -8.5gr. - no head epansion). The Long Snapper should exceed that by a hundered fps or so, but that data doesn't go that high.
: His best accuracy with cast bullets was a 44gr. NEI bullet at 1,229 fps for 1-1/2" at 100 yards, while 50gr. Blitz bullets at 2,043fps and W296, gave 1/2" groups.
: This ctg. has the best looking neck for cast bullet shooting, due to it's length. Author notes outside neck turning is necessary for his chamber.

tera
12-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Don - you could try www.reamerrentals.com They use Pacific reamers.
: On the other hand, a .17AH reamer with .22 bushing, and .22 neck throater will do the job.
; Do you have the big book on Wildcats, called "Wildcat Cartridges, Combo Edition" by Wolf publishing? It does list the .22/6/40, which is a 1" long Hornet with a long neck. It has stricles for both pistol and as rifle loads. This round has a 40 degree shoulder, with a .290" shoulder at ,645", probably similar to the Squirrel. m Also, it has the .22 Long Snapper, which is another 1" case on the Hornet, shorter neck, and thus larger case capacity. It's shoulder is at .830" and is .287" dimaeter with a 30 degree shoudler.
; They'll run velocities up to 2,400fps with 40gr. Jacketed, which is the European velocity for factory Hornet (2,350fps) and whaever velocity up to that with cast bullets of varying weights.
; Interesting little rounds.

I read your message is if I definitely understood have you the book

" Wildcat Cartridges, Combo Edition " by Wolf publishing

I follow interest it you can make me a copy to see information which is in the book?

Where if you know how I can download it?
Where if wants you to forward me capacity of the book by win Rar or WIN ZIP

Mercie

Daryl
12-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Tera- I have just moved and all my books are in boxes until I can get all my shelving built or bought. I"ve no idea where that book is.
: You can write or call Wolf Publishing in the States, or go to www.wholesalesports.com where I bought mine, many years ago. Last time I was at Wholesale Sports in Calgary, they had copies on the shelf. I odn't know it they are listed on the site, but you can then contact them to find it.
: The book is over 2" thick, almost 3" thick. It is not published on-line for you to copy.