PDA

View Full Version : selling 2 rifles and replacing with one custom- yes or no?

ogre6br
10-17-2007, 07:10 PM
HI
I am considering selling 2 rifle and making up one custom rifle to do the job that the others did.

Have you guys ever done this and how did it go?

I am thinking of replacing a
6mm BR norma .272 no turn neck on a 1:10 twist
and a 6.5x55 min spec factory chamber with a 1:8 twsit
both using Tikka Whitetail actions (595 and 695)

With a L 6.5x47 built on a Predator (Tac30) or Lawton or Border actioned, 5R or 5C barrel 1:8, McM or HS or a manners (http://www.mannersstocks.com/Tactical.html), HS or BA Detachable magazines
Trigger maybe a J HVR or a rifle basix- do Canjar still make triggers?

I will be using it for varmint hunting from rats to rabbits all the way up to feral hogs (what the 6BR does now) and also for informal range work and some F class shoots (what the 6.5x55 does now)

Do you think I am going the right way or should I leave well enough alone??

Thanks
later
P

NZVarminter
12-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Ogre6br

I'll be interested in how you get on. I've been looking at similar options.

There is also the Barnard action made in NZ to consider. Their SM action is a Rem 700 clone with mag cutout.

I see you mention the HS and BA Det Mags. Have you found any other detachable mag/bottom metal sources?, The HS assemble in nz$550 which is half the cost of the Barnard action!

How have you found the Tikka Actions with your 6mm BR?. I assume you think they are not up to the grade which is why your looking at custom actions?

Cheers

Grant

drewh
12-31-2007, 09:38 PM
depends on how they shoot now, and what your expectations are. I had a tikka that shot quite well, and the only reason I did sell it was to get a rifle with lighter available triggers. I don't know anything about them, but I see Jard is offering aftermarket triggers now. I think if they shoot well keep them as is.

My 2 cents.
Drew

coyotekory
02-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Build a switch barrel, one gun two barrels, twist one off turn one on.

Scott Elliott
02-26-2008, 02:54 AM
I'm in the process of doing it now...

vmthtr in Green Bay
02-26-2008, 04:11 PM
That is the way it works in my house. Limited funds and all. A custom action is a joy to shoot, no matter the factory action you put it against the custom will always win out, at least in my opinion.

Mike

Mntngoat
02-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Build a switch barrel, one gun two barrels, twist one off turn one on.

If I was limited to only one or two actions. This is exactly what I'd do, on a custom action of course and multiple barrels.
There is night and day difference between factory and custom BR actions in my opinion.

ML

coyotekory
02-28-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm definitly no smith, but the smith I go to has talked agout switch barrels several times. If your interested this is his websight. sgrcustomrifles.com He also has a link to another forum that may be of some help. bench-talk.com Hope this helps.

vmthtr in Green Bay
02-28-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm definitly no smith, but the smith I go to has talked agout switch barrels several times. If your interested this is his websight. sgrcustomrifles.com He also has a link to another forum that may be of some help. bench-talk.com Hope this helps.

I have personally met Stan and he is a great guy to boot.

Mike

coyotekory
02-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Stan did a couple for me already and I may be asking him for a third. I may be thinking 22-243Imp. Only bad thing about Stan is its hard to leave his shop.