PDA

View Full Version : New Here! I'm Thinking 17AH in a CZ?

20-250ai
10-22-2007, 06:29 AM
Hi all!,

So far my one and only wildcat is a 20-250ai by Keave, which was a little much for the bobcat I just took this weekend:eek: .

I was thinking of putting together a 17AH in a CZ527. I sure some here have been down this path, so I would like to here from you.

The 1-11 polygonal on the 20-250ai is a sweet shooter but Pac-Nor only offers a 1-7 twist for the .172 bore. This sounds a little fast!

Any and all help welcome! Thank You,
20-250ai/ Aric Need to switch or learn to stich!

JoeZ
10-23-2007, 01:44 AM
What a cool round. Easy to form brass, nothing not to like. I went with a 17Mach 4 for a few reasons on a calling gun. A bit more ponies if a coyote does show up, better brass, better platforms to build off of. I might go the 19Calhoon route if I did it again. I do see another cat on the 22 Hornet. If you like small calibers a 17Ah is the 30-06 of them all. You should just have one around LOL

Get Redding dies from Bullberry. They sell them a few bucks over cost. Use the seater as your form die. Save the money buying the form dies, they just are not needed.

I used Win brass. It was a bit thicker than Rem brass. My reamer was set up for no throat and a 1% leade. Seemed to be a real good combo. I could seat bullets deep enough for good purchase on the bullet and they would still fit in the mag with out getting into the powder to much

Pac-Nor 1/9 3 groove. It will shoot up to 30grn bullets, but the 20 V-max and Nagle are awesome fox medicine. I bet they would knock a cat in the dirt.

N-120 seems to be THE powder for this round, real clean meters real well.

I fireformed with a 25 Hornady and 11grains of N-120 or 11.5 with a 20. My best accuracy was a 20gr V-max and 12.1-12.3 grans of N-120 depending on the temp. with formed brass.

GLWenzl
10-24-2007, 02:25 AM
I second what JoeZ said however N-120 was not a real good powder in one of my 17AHs. I use it in one 1680 in another and 4227 in a 14" contender. I am probably the only person who has had bad luck with N-120 in a 17 AH but all three of mine have different likes. But also some of my chambers vary quite a bit in sizes???

While I have not had the opportunity to take a Bobcat I will be going to a place (133 Acers) in extreme SE NE owned by some friends of mine who recently acquired the place and started doing Buffalo Hunts and other large game and exotic animals that was already on the ranch including elk. He said I could come try my luck at call'n because they are loaded with Bobcat and coyotes and have fox too... The 17 AH and 17 Killer Bee will be my companions!!!

If the shots are going to be long or the 25 gr bullets was 1st choice I'd consider the 17 Killer Bee!!!

I am not sure I would go any faster than a 9 twist in the 17 AH and think a 10 is pretty good too because I never shoot anything but 20 gr bullets in mine.

20-250ai
10-24-2007, 05:25 AM
Thanks guys!:D
...........................20250ai/ Aric