PDA

View Full Version : 5mm Craig loads

Nelson
10-23-2007, 04:45 AM
Well I got my 5mm Craig, cleaned on it for 4 hours and it is now at the gunsmiths for recrowning (crown looked like it was cut by a angle grinder by a 2 year old :eek: ) But any how I am having it cut to 20 inches and recrowned. If anyone has loading info they want to share with the rest of us please post it here (I have found some on the net but would like to see some more posted) also what do most of you prefer Schroder (22 hornet based) or Craig (turned) brass??? Thanks, Nelson

GLWenzl
10-24-2007, 02:03 AM
I have only used Schroeder brass with great success. I am not sure about the Craig but think it would be just fine... If I remember right the Craig brass was just a tiny bit smaller in capacity or was it the other way around???

6.1 grs of Ramshot Enforcer has been my go to load with the 32 gr V-Max however I do plan to experiment more using lilgun and also want to try lighter bullets in it as well... Somewhere I just read guys having great luck with lilgun, might have been on this site?? I also use WSP primers...

Bambob
10-30-2007, 03:52 AM
Nelson,
Welcome to the 5mm club. I too, have only used the Schroeder brass. I've had pretty good luck with it but after 800 rounds, I've had to scrap most of the initial 200 rds. due to stretching just forward of the web. I admit to pushing this brass pretty hard at times. Hornet brass is known to not last too long when you push it . The burn rate of LilGun is known to vary quite a bit from lot to lot. I think you can safely start with 6g with the 32g Vmax. I have shot as much as 6.5g with a 40g Vmax. I've found LilGun to be kind of sooty. It gets a little cleaner if you lean on it. If you have any Hodgdon's HS-7 around, it shows real promise but I believe it has been discontinued. Start with about 5.5g with the 32g. With H-110 you can start with about 6.2g. With AA#9, start at 6g. I've had my best groups with R 7 1/2, WSP and WSPM primers.
I shoot my 591 as a single shot, as the loads are far too long for the magazine with "plastic tip" spitzers if you load out close to the lands. This is a fun round to play with. The performance leaves the 17 HMR and the 22 WMR in the dust.
Bob

Fish Dog
10-30-2007, 03:56 PM
The Craig brass is currently made by drilling out and machining 360 hard brass. The inside of the brass has straight walls with less capacity. I talked with someone from Eagle View Research who has taken over production of the 5mm Craig brass and bolt conversions last week. He stated that they should have new brass by the first of the year that is made out of 260 hard brass and with the bottle shaped interior.

fdg

GLWenzl
10-31-2007, 01:24 AM
That sounds like some great news about the brass!!! Although no complaints with what I use this sounds real encouraging!