PDA

View Full Version : VihtaVuori Burning-Rate Chart

DittoHead
10-26-2006, 06:29 AM
VihtaVuori has an interesting burning-rate chart on their website. The powders are listed from fastest on top to slowest on bottom. The interesting aspect is instead of putting all the powders in single file, each manufacturer’s powder line gets its own list and they are all displayed in parallel.

http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/chartVihta.asp

The chart on the website is a bit small. If you follow the “Reloading Guide” link at the top of the page, you can download a PDF file containing the chart along with the load data and then increase the size.

Brian in SOz
10-26-2006, 11:39 PM
The Vihtavouri powders that I use seem to be in about the right place.

The ADI website also lists powders in vertical lists, but cannot recall any other lists that do. The link to the ADI website is:
http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/equivalents.asp

However, I note that Vihtavouri obviously haven't updated that list for some time, as I note that they haven't included Vihtavouri N570 on their list, yet Midway and other retailers have it listed. Other notable errors and omissions are:
Alliant Reloader 25 is not even listed, yet was released at least 5 years ago.

Winchester 785 is listed, yet it was discontinued in the early nineties, and was followed by WMR, which in turn was discontinued about 4 years ago. WMR was replaced by WXR which was recently ditched, as it hasn't been listed on the Winchester website for about 9 months, and now their powders are listed on the Hogdon website, and WXR is not listed there.

I have yet to find a burning rate list that completely agrees with my experiences, and probably never will, due to all the lot to lot variations, and a host of other variations that occur in different rifles.

After having looked at probably dozens of different burning rate lists, I came to the conclusion a long time ago, that they are just a guide as to what powders are likely to be appropriate for your particular situation. The comparison with other powders is a tool to allow you to possibly find a starting load a bit quicker. Thanks for the heads up on the list. Regards, Brian.

montdoug
10-27-2006, 01:42 AM
Thanks for posting those guys.
Your right none of them ever seem to agree completely, even the two posted vary some. Brian as I'm not familiar with ADI I have to wonder if the powders they are comparing are the same ones we get in the States? If not that would confuse the issue even more.
Oh, WW680 too has been gone a long time.

Brian in SOz
10-27-2006, 04:51 AM
Montdoug, Many of the powders that Hodgdon buy from ADI and then rebadge and sell in the US, are according to ADI the same powders as the ones sold here in Oz. However, in some instances there is obviously considerably more lot to lot variation than I and others would like.

I experienced an example of the lot to lot variation about 12 months ago when I had almost run out of my supply of H1000. I had been using H1000 for about 9 years, which according to the label was made in Oz, yet ironically the Oz version AR 2217 wasn't available in 1997.

I purchased a tin of AR2217 to replace the H1000, which had worked so well in my 25/06AI with the Nosler 115BT. Due to lack of spare cases, I did not work up to maximum pressure again, and for the first time foolishly substituted my pet load of 63.0 grains H1000 for 63.0 grains of AR2217.

My first and only shot told the story, chronograph read 3,482 fps, once the smoke had cleared, had to hammer open the bolt, and the primer popped out. I still had about 4 shots of my old load (63/H1000) left, so I fired them, and the velocity average of 3,271 fps was normal and pressures were also. I felt a real dill for having broken the golden rule of always working up, and still feel embarrassed admitting it now.

The load of 63.0 grains of AR2217 was obviously 2 -3 grains above maximum and I subsequently discovered that my new maximum load was 60.0 grains which represents about a 5% lot to lot variation. Unfortunately, accuracy with AR2217 didn't even come close to the old pet load with H1000, which consistently shot sub 0.5moa. Sadlly Lot to Lot variation of powder is a fact of life. Brian.

montdoug
10-27-2006, 05:38 AM
I know what you mean exactly Brian. I have quanities of different lots of powder ear marked and tagged for various rifles and segregated in my loading room as any one that's seen it can attest to, (a bit obsessive actually).
Like you I've learned the hard way that when a powder lot runs out your starting all over. My experience was way back when with IMR4895 in a .22-250. Ran out of one lot and just duplicated the load with a new one and launched a primer big time, ended up breaking down about 400 rounds. That's how I justify buying 8 pound kegs of everything to my wife and mostly to myself.
An 8 pounder of N120 goes a long way in a .17 Ackley Hornet (about 4,600 rounds of my load). I think I need professional help:o .

Larry in VA
10-27-2006, 06:15 AM
An 8 pounder of N120 goes a long way in a .17 Ackley Hornet (about 4,600 rounds of my load). I think I need professional help:o .

All of us here are here to help and some of us are professionals in somethings. ;) Just do what Daryl, Foxhinter, Gary and the others say and you'll be OK....:eek: :eek:

montdoug
10-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Great idea!!! Larry!
I feel better already!!:D
Now where's that catalog for Powder Valley???
In truth my long time hunting and fishing pard just happened to be the local Fire Chief. He told me that on the local maps there was an X on my address and his guys were all instructed, "If that one catches just keep back a safe distance till she blows"! It's great to have friends.

UpNearTheBorder
10-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Most don't agree but found this one to be the most complete so far. Even lists the old IMR 8208, HiVel 2, and others. Great for when you get an old powder and want to see where it lands on the list. Plus pretty music for your listening pleasure! http://home.hiwaay.net/~stargate/powder/powder.htm Enjoy

Daryl
10-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Help - as in buying another .17AH to help deplete that abnormal powder supply?