PDA

View Full Version : called another couple toms today

csterner
05-01-2016, 01:58 AM
This rain we've had made it tough this morning on the mountain. Fog had visibility down to 40 yards and I had to use my cell phone and google maps to navigate to our spot. My cousin had birds located and we got to the area late, but undetected. Heard a few gobbles early, but at the bottom of the mountain. Didn't do us any good. A few soft calls produced no response up top. The birds he roosted Thursday were not talking, if they were there.

I decided we should move up to a saddle where we killed a good one a few years ago. I believe the birds like to travel thru there on the way to a food plot hidden nearby on top of the mountain. We moved 100 yards or so, picked a spot and settled in.

After a few minutes, we heard a gobble from where we just were. Bird must have heard us call over there and was looking for us...and man was he HOT. I called and he gobbled. Headed our way I thought. Then crows flew over and he really let loose...But wait. Was that a double gobble or 2 birds?

What seemed like an hour, but was probably 5 minutes, and I saw movement through the fog. One bird.., yes, two. One looked bigger than the other, probably a dominant boss and subordinate. I got my cousin around to my side of the tree, to try to double, but they kept circling left out of his view. It was all me.

As they , moved further left, they were slightly down over a hump out of view. I adjusted my butt and slid the barrel to the left, but crap! There's a head poking up from behind a log. The jig was up! I wasn't sure which one it was, but knew I had to act fast. The 870 roared and a bird flew straight up, then down and ran left. Did I miss? Got on him quickly and the gun belched again, but again, wasn't sure I connected.

We got up and headed to look and the first bird was flopping behind the log. I inadvertantly shot at the second bird thinking I had missed. We looked the area over good and found I had cleanly missed. Thank goodness.

My bird weighed about 15-16 pounds with a 6" beard and 3/4" spurs, a personal best. His belly was nearly devoid of feathers from mating and wing tips worn off. But I truly believe I shot the wrong bird. The ole boss must have gotten away, this time. At least I hope so. His gobbles were incredible. Deep and loud in the fog. A hunt to remember. I get to play guide now, for my cousin and mom. Maybe one of them will get him?

Stan from Pa.
05-01-2016, 03:17 AM
Way to go Charlie,
enjoyed reading about your exciting morning,
Stan

thekriebles
05-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Charlie,

Without pictures, it didn't happen:D Only kidding of course...congrats and thanks for sharing your hunt!

Don

dungheap
05-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Since early last summer, I had a pair of toms coming into my yard to raid the bird feeder leftovers and they got really, really tame -- to a point where I could walk right up to them with food.

Hunting season started a little better than a week ago. Now there's only one.

I can only hope the other died quickly.

Guess that's what happens when an old hunter turned softie mourns the loss of a "pal."

csterner
05-01-2016, 06:56 PM
That's kinda the way I am about "my" deer here at the house. Kinsa tough to shoot em. I enjoy having them around.

sicero
12-04-2016, 04:33 AM
As my departed brother always said. DON'T NAME IT. Kenny