PDA

View Full Version : Press ?

MikeMoore
10-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Looking into getting a new press. I've looked at the Redding Boss, RCBS Rockchucker, and Hornady L&L online, and except for a few slight twists and gimmicks they all look the same to me. Are you guys aware of anything that should sway me one way or the other? I don't feel that I need portability...the range I use is only 2 miles from the house.

The smallest case that I load for is the 17 Squirrel, and the largest is a 25-06 Ackley.

Thanks

Larry in VA
10-30-2006, 10:08 AM
I’ve got a Rock Chucker and a Bonanza and like them both. The RC is quite a bit stronger than the Bonanza, but the Co-Ax arrangement of the Bonanza may load straighter cases (if you believe the Forster Advertising Hype). A lot of bullet makers seem to use the Rock Chucker for making bullets.

Never owned a Redding Boss but have always eyeballed them from afar. They look to be very strong and easy to use. If I ever need another press think I would try the Redding Boss.

The lock and load feature of the Hornady press looks interesting but don’t know how much real value that would be. Doesn’t seem to take to long to screw a die in and out to begin with and seems that feature is just another place for misalignment to occur. That could be moot concern if Hornady’s quality control was all it could be.

Larry

Daryl
10-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Looking into getting a new press. I've looked at the Redding Boss, RCBS Rockchucker, and Hornady L&L online, and except for a few slight twists and gimmicks they all look the same to me. Are you guys aware of anything that should sway me one way or the other? I don't feel that I need portability...the range I use is only 2 miles from the house.

The smallest case that I load for is the 17 Squirrel, and the largest is a 25-06 Ackley.

Thanks

I use a Lyman Crusher press (compound leverage) for much of my rifle loading now, a Hornady progresive for my handgun ammo, and now have a new Hornady press, very similar to the RCBS Rockchucker. I've worn out 2 Rockchuckers to date, and broken a Pacific heavy press while doing some heavier than normal case manipulation. I experiment a lot. The Hornady Progressive has a lot of room and can handle about any length case, as well as the Lyman Crusher press.
; I should mention that with the Lyman press, cases as short as the squirrel haven't need shell holder extensions.

montdoug
10-30-2006, 08:37 PM
I have the same two Larry does (Rock Chucker and Bonanza) as well as a Dillon 550 for straight walled pistol stuff. The one I use the most is the Rock Chucker or Wilson dies and a Sinclair arbor press.
Mike I think your probably right that all are good products and will fill your needs nicely.

R.G. Robinett
10-30-2006, 08:53 PM
While all of the previously mentioned press are good (I have at least one of each and several of most), take a look at the Lee Classic Cast (iron) press - it is very inexpensive and features just about the best radial and axial alignment available; yes, the threads are "dead-nuts" true to the ram. This press is amazingly precise for a LOT less dinaro! Good shootin'! R.G.

GLWenzl
10-30-2006, 10:59 PM
only experience I have is with Hornady single and progressive L&L (and I like the L&L) however the single stage press I have never used the primer deal and I hate the mess it makes. Myself I would look for one that has a hole down the ram so the spent primers and primer crap goes into a can below and not all around the ram.... (I am considering making a mod for mine) just my 2 cents....

R.G. Robinett
10-31-2006, 01:47 AM
only experience I have is with Hornady single and progressive L&L (and I like the L&L) however the single stage press I have never used the primer deal and I hate the mess it makes. Myself I would look for one that has a hole down the ram so the spent primers and primer crap goes into a can below and not all around the ram.... (I am considering making a mod for mine) just my 2 cents....

GLW, this is another nice attribute of the LEE CLASSIC CAST, which I forgot to mention - this is a very well though out press - the spent primers and primer residue never contact the working parts!:)

I've spent WAY more for presses which are nowhere near as good with regard to alignment of the ram and die threads. I own 10 (ten) RockChuckers (all converted for bullet swaging) - the older the better; a great mid 1970's vintage Bonanza Co-Axial (my favorite press for reloading); a couple of Reddings, old Pacific Tool . . . and a few custom jobs. When I learned that Ferris Pendell is recommending the Lee Classics to his die customers, I bought one - then, I quickly bought four more! The RED is ugly, but the positives far outweigh the negatives! I remain pleasantly surprised at the value for the buck! ;) R.G.

Varminteer
10-31-2006, 01:57 AM
I love my Bonanza Co-ax press. Have an old C-H press and a RCBS, but always end up using the Co-ax. Great fun!

MikeMoore
11-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I appreciate your input.

aaroninmt
11-03-2006, 01:42 PM
You might look at the Redding T-7 Turret press. Beats changing dies out all the time. I especially like the primers dropping into the surgical tubing. After I got my T-7 I sold my Rock Chucker. Most presses are well enough made that you will be satisfied with whatever you get.

Aaron