PDA

View Full Version : Saga Of The Missing Rifle.... LONG

Mntngoat
10-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Some may remember a while back I posted about a Browning Low Wall I sent out to a gunsmith in South Carolina for re-barreling work. I later learned the gunsmith had passed away this last May. My thoughts of ever seeing this rifle again were slowly disolving, since the rifle had been gone for close to two years. Today at work Fed- Ex showed up and I saw a familar shaped box, thought it may be a new McMillian I've had on order or my Bastonge stock from Ron for my Cooper KB. but it's not scheduled to ship until later this week.
Until I see the address on the front. I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning!
I could not belive my eyes when I opened it up, my Low Wall action with the original .22 Hornet barrel still attached. (Apparently the gunsmith never even removed it) along with a new Shilen 10 twist, .17 caliber barrel which had been octagoned by Mark Stratton. :) It's gonna be a good day!

Real glad to see it made it back at all, and with a new barrel as well.

This project now two years old and no further along than it was 1- year ago was going to be a .17 Ackley Bee, but with a .20 Duster and .20 Killer bee in the works, I'm not so sure now.
Anybody have any input to what should be done with this one.
Thinking maybe a .17 M4 or possibly a .17 KB.

Michael

montdoug
10-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Yeah Michael, I know exactly what oughta be done with it! Ya oughta send it to me, after all ya missed my last 58 birthdays and Christmases and two more are just around the corner. How can you live with yourself? Need my address?;)

Congrats man, I was hoping right along with ya, glad it turned out.

GLWenzl
10-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Good deal!!!! glad to see they made sure you got the riffle back and your barrel!!!!

Cajun Blake
10-31-2006, 12:55 AM
must be like Christmas over in Huntington Beach, LOL.

Michael, my vote is for the 17KB. ask doug how he feels about the 17KB cartridge. when dan c is on the rails, i bet doug is gonna sneak over to Cheyene, WY and borrow that rifle :D

you could likely use your 20KB dies and swap out bushings for the NS. You already have the brass and would be one less set of dies you have to worry about.

just my wooden nickle opinion,

CB <*)))>{

foxhunter
10-31-2006, 01:05 AM
did a lot of business with wessingers over the years, wife was an integrate part of the business, she did the engraving. they were as honest as they came, we will miss him.
most people don't know that he taught gunsmith classes at several of the trade schools and is responsible for starting more members of the custom gun guild than anyone else in the country.

glad you got your rifle and barrel back, who are you going to have do the work now?

Rodgervich
10-31-2006, 01:09 AM
.17 Jet or .17 Scamp would be cool too but you GOTTA love forming brass :rolleyes:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/RMEngineering/scampvsjet.jpg

montdoug
10-31-2006, 01:46 AM
I'm with Blake on the .17Killer Bee. Watching Dan smack rats at amazing distances with it was an eye opener, shooting it was the straw that broke the camels back. Too neat! .17KB, .20KB in the same safe? Gotta do it dude!

Mntngoat
10-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Alright case closed!
.17 KB it is.

Only problem now is the weight of the barrel. The octagon barrel George had made up is .750" across the flats at 24" The shank would need to be turned down to even fit in the forend of the little Browning.
There is a .218 Bee Ruger #1 on the way though, that may get the nod.

I need another rifle like a hole in the head and the .22 Hornet Browning will be on the auction block shortly if anyone is interested, outstanding wood on this one, and has accounted for a couple dozen coyotes.

Michael

MarinePMI
11-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Mtngoat,

PM sent...

Johnly
11-01-2006, 08:17 PM
That's super news. I'm glad for you.

I've had a less stressful occurance, but just as happy from time to time when I work my way to the back of the safe and find a rifle that I forgot I owned.

John in Oregon