PDA

View Full Version : 17 Javelina loads

RicN
12-11-2007, 12:40 AM
If any of you guys have this case design I'd be most interested in hearing about your loads, bullet weights, velocities and accuracy but please, nothing from a reloading manual unless something you have tried personally. Having had several other 17's the Javelina has me very interested and being one who likes case prep regardless of difficulty the 9-twist barrel is on order from Lilja. For the platform, I have this NITB Phoenix 223 just setting here begging to be used next summer but with heavy 17 bullets. - Thanks for your input.

Mntngoat
12-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Ric it sounds like your mind is working overtime. :)

ML

RicN
12-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Never stops thinking where small calibers are concerned besides, not much else to do here in winter months but keep the woodstove going.

Dan C
12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Ric, I will get some up for you soon.....

jim saubier
12-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Mine really likes n135. I've never tried H4895 but it is considered to be a good powder for this cartridge by others shooting it. I will dig out my load data and let you know what I have.

I'll be some more tinkering soon with the Javelina as I stumbled upon an original A&M rifle company .17 Javelina on a rem 700 action. would've preferred a Sako version but am glad to have found an original A&M in my favorite cartridge.

I've also used a powder called Tubal 3000, i've got a couple of jugs of it and the burn rate is good fro this cartridge. I've tried n540 but didn't achieve the results I was looking for initially. I'd like to tune more with the 30 grain Berger boattails and Kindler 30 GOLDS before I go out west again.

case forming, well I am not as fond of it these days. actually, i don't mind it so bad but have such a hard time finding the time to do it.

RicN
12-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks Jim; I'll look forward to reading your notes. I also wanted to use my Sako but changed to the Cooper action for simplicity reasons. Lilja makes barrels contoured to that rifle in Varmint style so I won't need much stock work if any plus, Cooper triggers are easier for me to work on. Having picked up a NITB 223 Phoenix rifle and doubting I'd ever shoot in that case/caliber, this rifle will make a nice Javelina but in 9 twist with custom chambering from Greg Tannel.

Dew
12-13-2007, 02:09 AM
I've lost my notes on the one I had but it belonged to a friend. He didn't reload so I made the cases and loaded it for him. His father had the rifle made up around 1964 on a Remington action but it was not the 700. I don't remember what size it was except it was like a 600 or so. I contacted A&M and asked if they remembered making it and he said he remembered my friends fathers name. I do remember using some 18 and 20 grain custom bullets. I believe one brand was Walker. Got one inch groups at 100 yards which was pretty good for the time. I later sent another letter to A&M and he said he had quit chambering for the Javelina because the .17 Rem. had come out and that is what he chambered for. I can tell you one thing for sure... It is a PITA when you make the brass. Of course my friend had the forming dies along with the rifle. It was a learning experience for me. I've still got the letters around here somewhere.

Best of luck on your project.
wd

RicN
12-13-2007, 03:30 AM
Dew; great story on ther 17-J, thanks for posting that.

pretty cool I think that this case has been with us now for so long, sort of makes it an Icon of small caliber IMO. Also like the way cases look after fire forming as they take on the "rocket look" rather than the long taper of bigger 17's.
Case forming, while time consuming is really nothing more than what we go through making M4 and 20VT from 223 cases with the result being better brass still, lots of work for sure.

RicN
12-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Ordered the 17-J dies from my long time friend, Russ Haydon, guess that means about "full commitment" to this cartridge now.