PDA

View Full Version : We lost a treasure

dustycuss
03-29-2018, 10:25 PM
Last week, a stellar gentleman and a good personal friend grew wings. Many of us have been enriched by knowing Bill Oviatt and have enjoyed our various interactions with this special man.
Sadly, after many health setbacks, Bill has left the range for the last time.
Please keep him and his wife Catheron in your thoughts and prayers.

foxhunter
03-29-2018, 10:40 PM
I am so sad, great man. he will be missed, fly high bill.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-29-2018, 10:40 PM
He will be missed. Prayers sent for his family.

dungheap
03-29-2018, 11:31 PM
Prayers going out for his family; had no idea he was on the way out. No doubt he will be missed by many on this forum, myself included.

ray h
03-30-2018, 12:31 AM
Sorry to her this, prayers sent to Bill's family.

ZKW465
03-30-2018, 01:26 AM
So sad to hear this news. It was an honor to get to know him. Even though it was for a short few months. He had a wealth of knowledge to share and we all have benefited from it. My prayers go out to his family. He will be sadly missed.

hemiallen
03-30-2018, 01:26 AM
Wow, that was shocking.

I have spoken to Bill on the phone and purchased items from him.

Prayers to his family and friends

Allen

AlbertaAl
03-30-2018, 02:05 AM
Deepest regrets to Bill's family and friends.
I never had any interations with him but the Saubier family here will deeply miss him - and cherish the memories.
Rest In Peace Bill !

Eric Mayer
03-30-2018, 02:58 AM
Bill and Catheron drove over to my house from Wyoming on March 2nd. After speaking with him on the phone many times, I ended up having the pleasure of them dropping by my place here in the Boise area. I had purchased a bunch of his reloading supplies, so they were delivering them while visiting my area of Idaho.

We spent a couple of hours discussing guns (I showed him some of my collection), reloading, new cartridges and the Boise area. It turned out he forgot part of the purchase at home, so I was planning to get out to WY to go pick it up. Unfortunately, Catheron texted me last week and let me know what happened.

Bill was a great guy, with so much knowledge and a willingness to give it freely to those who asked for it. He had a passion for small calibers, with he and I really delving into the .22 Nosler and .224 Valkyrie while he was here. I could see the wheels spinning with ideas when he held the cartridges in his hands. He loved it. This is a great loss for his family and our community. :(

Eric

17VLD
03-30-2018, 11:00 AM
We are diminished.

x32030
03-30-2018, 01:56 PM
He gave a lot of good advice. What a great guy!

Big Joe
03-30-2018, 02:25 PM
My prayers are out for the family, he is in good hands as we speak. We have lost a humble man of knowledge.
My spring trip plans just got rewrote, we had it set to stop by his house on our way to MT to visit wife's HS bestie who now lives up near Billings.

ramos
03-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Had no idea, 'lost a treasure' is spot on. Prayers sent.

moorepower
03-30-2018, 04:39 PM
Prayers for the family. I always valued his input.

TOU
04-01-2018, 09:04 PM
I appreciate those that have written here & also knew the awesome 'treasure' of a man known as William T. Oviatt...even if just a little bit. My Friend & Brother...Bill.

For nearly two weeks I tried to write something here but just couldn't. I'm not sure I will be able to express my thoughts & feelings let alone my appreciation for having known him as I did but need to attempt it.

I have cycled between so many emotions in this time & probably will for some time. It is with a profound saddness, a heavy heart & but with absolute gratefulness for knowing him in this life that I finally do write these less than adequate & humble words. I do find comfort & offer the same to his only true love & the light of his life Catheron...his family and true friends...knowing we will know him again.

For the last 13 or so years Bill has grown into my teacher, mentor, confidant, shooting & hunting partner, a business partner...my best friend & brother. It saddened me when he started having serious health issues a year ago...just a couple weeks after our amazing Spring prairie dog & hunting trip which also launched us both on an greater yet unfinished adventure. Even though we did have other adventures since then, I believe that trip will remain my most favorite & memorable for many years to come. (We were also planning a gopher shooting trip for late this spring or early this summer to Montana & Alberta Canada...but it will have to wait a while.) Selfishly I wished we had done even more.

We did have many adventures, good times, many LOOONNNNGGG talks on trips together, in each other's homes, late at night on the phone or while traveling for work. I learned & gained so much from him. I gained MANY happy memories before but especially the last 12 month's...almost as though he knew he wouldn't always be able to do so. Before then & especially since, I count myself as was one of the lucky recipients of many of his wonderful pearls of wisdom & unique insights as well as presence & generosity. If you knew him, even superficially...count yourself very lucky. If you didn't...I'm truly sorry...read his wonderful posts or speak to those who truly knew him.

Bill accomplished many things & had depth far beyond what most probably realized. He had few enemies etc.; those that were, are not worthy of mention in the same breath.

As noted, Bill struggled with health this last year, even though he tried to hide it & his best to overcome it. He struggled during this time more than he cared to admit even to himself. Sadly he was never the same, not able to fully recover in spite of valiant efforts by this great man. Was he perfect? Few of us are...but he was pretty dang awesome! But...I choose to remember his greatness, strengths, abilities, love, generosity, sense of humor & wit.

I miss him more than I thought possible of someone that is not truly my blood. I will continue to miss him deeply but always be grateful for the time & effort invested in me, for the time spent in his presence & the privilege of knowing him. While I so hoped he would regain full health in this life, it was not to be. I so wished he was still here...for selfish reasons. But...he is at peace & has now regained full health as well as composure in the Hollow of the Hand of his Lord.

Till we meet again my Friend & Brother...

- God be with you till we meet again;
By his counsels guide, uphold you;
With his sheep securely fold you.
God be with you till we meet again.

When life’s perils thick confound you,
Put his arms unfailing round you.

Keep love’s banner floating o’er you;
Smite death’s threat’ning wave before you.

- Till we meet, till we meet,
Till we meet at Jesus’ feet,
Till we meet, till we meet,

Eric Mayer
04-02-2018, 04:20 AM

Yep...

:(

ben lurkin
04-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Oh no! I chatted with him many a time on numerous topics and projects. I didn't know him as well as some, but he was always a wealth of knowledge and a genuinely nice guy. We could use more like him in this day and age!

God's speed Bill!

260Ackley
04-03-2018, 06:29 PM
What a loss. Sad to hear. Prayers for his family and friends.

johno
04-04-2018, 12:05 PM
I am shattered to read this, I emailed Bill about 10 days back we were in constant touch over many years and I only said to my wife today that I was worried because I had not received a reply.

I would be grateful if Ken or another member who knows the circumstances would please pm me as to what happened, I knew he had been unwell for some time but he was talking of selling up and moving on.

RIP old mate, we never got to sit on the deck and enjoy that cold beer but I will raise a glass to you. My deepest sympathy to Cath and family

Johno

montdoug
04-04-2018, 10:59 PM
I talked with Bill on a fairly regular basis and admired him greatly. Our prayers are with him and his family. God Bless and we'll see you in the future my friend.

Stan from Pa.
04-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Bill was a great man,
I didn't know him real well till he bailed me out on short notice, sold me a 17 Fireball, sold me a bunch of original ammo to get going at a very reasonable price, and treated me like a old friend even though we lived many miles apart.
Rest in Peace Bill and may the peace of God be with the family during this difficult time.

Stan

Herb in Pa
04-05-2018, 06:18 PM
A gentleman through and through and a great mentor........RIP Bill

kenbro
04-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Bill was a true Gentleman and a Gentle man. And a talented inventor.
He was a good friend to me and was generous, not only with his knowledge, but also with material things. Many of my projects wouldn’t have been completed without help from Bill.
At times, it seemed like he had his own Shipping system that didn’t get caught up with officialdom.
I will miss him.
Rest in Peace Bill. Condolences to Catheron and the Boys.
Ken.

shortfuse
04-09-2018, 06:40 PM
I have a 221 Fireball project and bought some Brass and bullets from him the deal was for 500 new brass and 200 bullets and the CZ Carbine Barrel he was selling so the box arrives and there's 500 new brass 200 once fired Brass and 1500 Bullets for the fireball in various Brands and weights I couldn't believe the generosity. I have many hours of Text's with Him as recent as March 12th and had no Idea there were any health problems I had an endless string of questions about the 221 FB He always answered my questions. You will be missed my friend. Keith

TOU
04-10-2018, 06:04 AM
Bill was great like that...always under promised & over delivered. Btw, he past away one week to the day after you recieved your text.

TOU
04-10-2018, 06:26 AM
Hey Folks,

Last week, my 2 teenage boys & I spent the afternoon, dinner & evening with Catheron. We spoke of this forum among many things & she was touched by all your all's kind words. She asked me to thank you & relay a message.

"Bill really enjoyed all the guys on the forum. I was happy that I was married to Bill and that he had positively touched so many people in his life! What else could we possibly hope for? Thank you."

Screaminweasil
04-15-2018, 03:04 AM
Dang.....I can't believe this. Prayers for his family. Man.....im in shock.

JLDakota
04-15-2018, 04:08 AM
So sorry to hear of the passing of a great forum friend. Over the years we talked on the phone a lot and as others have referenced, he was a truly fine and genuine person. He knew my likes and dislikes in small caliber stuff and would often call me when he got serious thinking about moving certain rifles or components. Over time, I, as did others on here, purchased several rifles, and various types of brass, dies and components etc. from Bill and he always went out of his way to assure that I had received a "better deal" then we had agreed on. A couple times he sent me more of a certain type brass that he found he had several months after a sale because he knew I could use and would want them.

They don't come any better then Bill. I'm thankful for having known him and my condolences to his family for their great loss. It was his time. RIP William Oviatt....... Jim

17rimfire
04-18-2018, 12:00 AM
What a shock...I just spoke to Bill on the phone in later February.. we discussed the 17 garin for quite some time and I ended up buying his stash of 17 cal bullets and 30 carbine brass... he was a great knowledgeable man that shared his knowledge freely... he had such a passion for guns and reloading.. this really saddens me to read this news...such a loss to the community here..rest easy Mr. Oviatt... my thoughts and prayers to the family..

ben lurkin
04-19-2018, 03:28 AM
Hey Folks,

Last week, my 2 teenage boys & I spent the afternoon, dinner & evening with Catheron. We spoke of this forum among many things & she was touched by all your all's kind words. She asked me to thank you & relay a message.

"Bill really enjoyed all the guys on the forum. I was happy that I was married to Bill and that he had positively touched so many people in his life! What else could we possibly hope for? Thank you."

Thanks for the update TOU. Are you in the Brigham City area by chance?

TOU
04-21-2018, 05:16 AM
Near but not in...North of Ogden. Feel free to PM anytime.

Eric Mayer
06-20-2018, 05:03 PM
I met with Catheron a few weeks ago in WY. They are doing okay, but I know things are still raw for them. She gave me a copy of Bill's obituary to post on here. It says a lot about a guy we all knew, but it was also amazing reading about everything else he accomplished. Here it is (if you need to see a larger copy of it, just click this link: https://i.imgur.com/umWrVdY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/umWrVdY.jpg

Bill K
06-24-2018, 12:20 AM
You are 100% correct on that with Bill. Never met him face to face, but PM's and post's could see he as a fine gentleman and had knowledge he would share, to help anyone. He will be missed, for sure, by family and many others. Bill K :)

Eagle_view
08-13-2018, 11:43 PM
I had not seen this, I am so sorry. One of the things I was most looking forward to when we get moved to Wyoming sometime this year was to be able to visit with Bill nd his wife. I will miss him, He had quit posting as much as he used too, so had not caught on that he was no longer with us. We visited once in awhile by phone and I did some work for him at one time. He was a man of many ideas and a great heart.

Lowell

larryinIA
11-01-2018, 05:35 PM
I'm not in here much lately, got to thinking I hadn't heard from Bill for way too long (February). I'm deeply saddened to hear he has passed. He was a kind as any, while I never met him face to face , he was much like family to me.

johno
03-17-2019, 03:14 AM
Just on year since Bill passed, i'll be away as of tomorrow so this is my memorium
to him

I can't tell you how much I miss talking with Bill by email, being deaf this was our only way to communicate, he always had time to talk back and forth. He always wanted to return to N.Z. and spend some time traveling and maybe do some hunting, wish we could have pulled that off before I moved back to Australia.

RIP mate

Johno

kenbro
03-19-2021, 08:07 AM
3 years!
The time has passed, but the memories remain.
Ken.

TOU
03-19-2021, 08:28 AM
Yes...I miss him.

johno
03-21-2021, 09:46 PM
A great bloke sure miss the conversations, being deaf he was always happy to send emails with a lot of content I wish he could have over here

Johno