PDA

View Full Version : I personaly don't see where it is necessary for the # of 20 cal wildcats to be culled

sicero
11-02-2006, 01:36 AM
I also think a list of 17 cal wildcats should be forthcoming. What criteria should be used to decide which Wildcats should be [recognized]. Maybe we could pick a number of identical chamberings. For instance list only chamberings that had at least 50, that would be one per state. That wouldn't be very many or even 25, I am sure would leave out some very good chamberings. Or maybe just list ones with cutsie names to be recognized. A for instance comes to mind, Bob Davidson's 20 Viper and Dan Clemens 20 Killer Bee should be some where close in performance case size being nearly the same. The Viper possibly a little more economical to be smithed. No magazine alteration, no extractor cut, no bolt alteration, no extractor alteration. The Viper is probably going to lose out because of the laser bee. I say list them all. A lot of the enjoyment I have gotten from this forum the last three years is hearing and commenting on the wildcats dreamed up and developed right here on this forum. I agree a lot of them were very close to chamberings already in existance, take a look at 222 Remington, 223 Remington. 222 Remington Mag. The handloader can load these to reasonable similar performance and they have been around quite a while.I know this got kind of long winded.This is the only forum where we can talk to live people who understand or care what we are talking about. I say list them all. Kenny

ray hauver
11-02-2006, 02:23 AM
I would vote not to cull any. I would like to see a brief discription, parent case, shoulder angle and length etc. Besides, by culling we would be losing some neat names.

montdoug
11-02-2006, 02:51 AM
If I'm not mistaken I believe Glenn might be removing a few from a list going into an article for expediency's sake, not striking them from the rolls of interesting wildcats out there.

foxhunter
11-02-2006, 04:44 AM
under the criteria of the other culling thread P.O. ackleys two volume book set would have been ummmm...........maybe 3 pages long, a wildcat is a very personal thing, designed by an individual for an individual and it only takes one, general acceptance be damned.

sicero
11-02-2006, 05:34 PM
I can surely see where something like four to be featured and maybe a few mentioned. There are people that don't know the Ruger .204 exists or the 17 Remington either. Just rambling. Kenny

GlennFromVA
11-02-2006, 10:49 PM
I wanted to cull the list to about 5-6 for an article. I probably should have asked for the most popular 20 caliber wildcats. But the list certainly has become interesting!
Glenn

foxhunter
11-03-2006, 12:04 AM
I wanted to cull the list to about 5-6 for an article. I probably should have asked for the most popular 20 caliber wildcats. But the list certainly has become interesting!
Glenn

not a difficult task glen, 20 tactical, 20 ppc , 20 br 20 vartag and 5th one is a toss up as there probably aren't more than a handful of each of the others running around. if you were to count the 19-223 which should probably be considered a 20 caliber just like the 22 hornet has barrel diameters in 223 and 224 diameter.
Glad you explained, we thought maybe you were having a Senator John Kerry moment.

GlennFromVA
11-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Right now the short list is 20 Killer Bee, 20 VarTarg, 20 Tactical, 20 PPC and 20 BR. Couldn't resist the Killer Bee because of the different case and high performance.
glenn

montdoug
11-03-2006, 05:59 PM
That does it, I have a missing slot. "I NEED A .20BR.!!!!"