PDA

View Full Version : What? This old thing?

Jay T.
11-02-2006, 03:40 AM
About 6 months ago, I wrote a post requesting information on building a 17 Mach IV with the most accuracy potential possible using a factory action. Well, here it is -- a 20 PPC. There was a lot of late nights laying in bed with the decision to go with this chambering. All in all I'm very glad I did it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/jaythomason/DSC05639.jpg

I started with an old Remington XP 100 single shot action. The bolt face was opened up and a Sako extractor installed. My gunsmith milled out a slot and installed a Nesika bolt release. Jewell trigger. 25 1/2 inch PacNor 1 in 11 twist. It's a #8 straight taper SSM. The stock is a SG&Y (Speedy Gonzales) BRX.

Chamber has a .224 neck. I've gotten a bunch of help with info. on forming brass and loads from a couple guys on this board. I appreciate it. My wife added up all of the receipts for this project. She does not appreciate it.

Jay T.

the other side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/jaythomason/DSC05637.jpg

Mark D
11-02-2006, 04:04 AM
I dug my XP100 out of the safe and put a 17PPC barrel on it and a MPI thumbhole stock on it . Trying to get ready for coyote season . Oh yeah Jay! Your suppose to hide all the receipts. Later! Mark

REM
11-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Looking good.

Boy it is a long time until spring.

I have a feeling load work up will be short. I doubt you can find a bad load.

Just pick your favorite bullet with an appropriate powder, shoot a few rounds to confirm the combo and set back and wait for Stephen's annual Easter egg shoot. I may just come along for the ride this year.

Richard

Cajun Blake
11-02-2006, 12:59 PM
very very nice. that rifle has a perfect pedigree and just looks accurate !

CB <*)))>{

ray hauver
11-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Appears the eggs are in serious trouble this spring, nicely done Jay. PS - how do you find anything on that neat bench???

Fireball
11-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Very nice Jay! I think the 20 PPC is the best 20 caliber cartridge going for a bench rifle. You made a wise choice that you will be very happy with.

Skypilotbc
11-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Paintballs, eggs, etc not to mention the unfortunate pasture poodles that beauty will whack. Very high on the drool factor, Jay!
Bob

Rodgervich
11-03-2006, 02:11 AM
Bitchin' Jay!
I'm gonna guess that it will be hard to find a load that won't shoot good in a rig like that. You'll have to keep us informed on how it really does.

17VLD
11-03-2006, 02:52 AM
I've always thought I should have a 20ppc built.
Now I'm sure of it,after seeing how nicely yours came out.
I hope you will post some pics of targets and stuff in a little while.
TTFN
Matt:)

Stephen Grant
11-03-2006, 04:15 AM
:D I'm glad we have some time to devise a target worthy of that rifle for the spring shoot. Maybe Wayne's golf tees target somewhere pass the coyotes.

Cajun Blake
11-03-2006, 05:17 AM
JT,

just curious as to who (gunsmith) did your custom work ? What was the charge for the Nesika bolt stop - that is a very nice addition !

CB <*)))>{

Jay T.
11-03-2006, 11:31 AM
The gunsmith's name is Larry Kuse in Overland Park, KS. He has been around the bench rest community for some time and works on predominantly bench rest rifles. In fact the reamer used for this rifle actually belongs to Walt Berger. Larry had it on loan when I first met him, and I told him to hold on to it a little longer. I'm very pleased with the work he did for me.

I had bought a plunger type bolt stop from Sinclair to install on this gun, and after I received it, did not think I would like the looks of it (I still have it if anyone needs it). I called Nesika and they sent me the bolt stop, pin and spring for $19 delivered to my front door. Larry charged me $75 to mill out the receiver and put it in.

Jay T.

Rodgervich
11-03-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm interested in the bolt stop, send me a pic/email offline?
I didn't know anyone made such a thing, the stock one on my 722 Duster sucks.

Mntngoat
11-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Paul I think we all would like to see the installation of the Nesika boltstop so please post the picture when you receive it.

Michael

GLWenzl
11-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Good Job Jay!! Awesome!!!:) We need to go break'r in on some PDs!!!!:D