PDA

View Full Version : 17 viper cracks 4300 fps thanks to alan in ga.

foxhunter
11-02-2006, 04:20 AM
alan i finally , after over a year got the opertunity to fire some of the hornady bullets you sent me..........tomorrow i'm going to smack a winged rat (crow) with one of them , just to see if the feathers will fly.

RareBear
11-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Would that be with the 17 grain VMAX? A 15 grain Berger or a 16 grain Genco might offer an interesting test also.
http://extremeaccuracy.net/172caliber.html
http://www.saubier.com/genco/index.html

Alan in GA
11-02-2006, 10:17 AM
I forgot about those. For others reading, I had some 17 grain 17 cal Vmax bullets that were supposedly 'seconds',,but shot like 'first quality' in many of the 17 rifles here in Georgia. One buddy shot them to 4,250 fps or so in a 17 Mach IV,,still getting super accuracy. Several of us loaded a couple thousand in 17 Ackley Hornet and Mach IV ammo for Montana and they did great on ground squirrels[gophers].
The wedge plastic tip in Ballistic Tip and Vmax bullets allow a thick [relatively] jacket so as to withstand high rotation with high velocity varmint rounds. So they can be thick jacketed, but still blow UP on impact as varmint bullets should, while holding together in flight.
Didn't know the itty bitty 17 grain 17 cal Vmax would hold up until we tried,,,they DO!
Thanks for the feedback foxhunter.
Which of ALL your 17 concoctions still interest you the most???
Alan in GA

foxhunter
11-02-2006, 11:48 AM
17's are like your children, you have to love them all the same.

Chucker
11-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Did not know it was hard to break the 4300 number. My MIV is a fast one, I guess it happens once and a while.

Chucker.

foxhunter
11-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Did not know it was hard to break the 4300 number. My MIV is a fast one, I guess it happens once and a while.

Chucker.

it's not hard to break 4300 fps, but doing it with 14.6 gr of powder, that's efficient.

Alan did shoot a crow with the 17 v-max today, 200 yards in the middle of the chest. there was a slight ruffle of the feathers in the front and a nickel size hole in the back. guess there just isn't enough lead in the little pill to explode a crow, he did drop like a anvil though.
also did come squirrel damage control on the neighbors house, seems they decided to make a couple holes in the wood siding. shot them both in the head at 80 and 90 yards. wasn't any head or front shoulder left on the gray but the 17 v-max cut the big reds head in half all the way from the front shoulder to the tip of his nose.

http://i12.tinypic.com/29z1tsh.jpg

Chucker
11-03-2006, 01:46 PM
I played with my 22-250 AI and some 40 gr stuff. I could get 4500+ out of this combo. Never killed any thing with it. I do know how to turn a can of
7UP into mist though.

Your friend, Chucker.

foxhunter
11-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I played with my 22-250 AI and some 40 gr stuff. I could get 4500+ out of this combo. Never killed any thing with it. I do know how to turn a can of
7UP into mist though.

Your friend, Chucker.

i have on of those, going to take it deer hunting,mine has a 1-9 twist pac-nor so it favors the 65-75 gr bullets. trying to decide whether the 75 gr amax at 3300 fps will work better than the 65 gr sierra bt at 3585 fps.
the 75's shoot .58 at 300 meters and the 65's shoot .40 at 100, haven't had the chance to stretch the 65's.

Chucker
11-03-2006, 07:47 PM
They make a partition in a 60 gr. I can push a 60 gr to 3850 fps in my 1 in 16 twist rifle. I thought this might make the perfect antelope rifle. Haven't tried them to see if they will shoot yet. Gees always something else to do........

Your friend, Chucker.

GLWenzl
11-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Chucker back when I was working with the 22-250 I could not tell much if any difference between the 55 gr sp and 60 gr N. partition... The Hornady 55 sp actually seems to make a faster kill than the 60 N Ps and the 55s shot better (in my riffle)

foxhunter
11-05-2006, 03:09 AM
popped another crow with the lil 17 gr pill, this one wasn't so kind to the crow. the stand was in the thick woods, branches everywhere. the shot was just over 100 yards thru a 2" square opening in the limbs.
at the crack of the rifle the crow careened out of the tree, a brief search ensued and the carcass was found. the bullet has struck the crow low in the chest and totally eviscerated the lower half of it's body.
this is so typical of the 17 caliber, one day it will punch a hole right thru with minimal damage and the next blow them into little pieces.

sorry no pics.

GLWenzl
11-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Hey Bob, dead is dead and any extra visuals are a bonus! LOL

U-have to luv them lil 17 pills!!! I had em shooting good at speeds of 4500 fps and just over 4600 they didn't make it to the 100 yard target!! Pretty good for a bullet designed to shoot 2600 fps... There is no bullet out there that is as accurate and as much fun to shoot as these are from my 17 CCM on PDs!!!!

I anxiously await the new Hornady catalog every year top see if they are in it yet!!!!!

foxhunter
11-05-2006, 12:42 PM
thought your silver tongue had talked hornady into selling us a bunch of them on the down low, what happened?
so far the 4 critters shot with them have all died instantly, three grenaded and one not, wonder what the B.C. is on the little pill, my guess, which could be way off, would be .167-.187,even if the bc is only .150 with a 1.3 in sight in height at 100 yards the little pill is only 3.2" low at 300 yards. assuming a 5" target, point blank range is 387 yards, unfortunately there is only 199.8 ft pounds of energy remaining at that distance.
when you consider 199.8 ft pounds is almost twice what a 22 lr has at the muzzle, one would have to pick their targets carefully.
the 17gr bullet would make would make the 17 ah a even better super ground squirrel/p-dog round.

GLWenzl
11-05-2006, 01:06 PM
I have wined and cried about them 17/17s for what seems like a long time and I really do suspect we will see em (hopefully in the 07 catalog) I'll be needing a bunch before spring gets here for my 17 ccm, 17 short mag, 17 squirrel and yeah I might as well load a bunch up for the 17 AH while I’m at it!!! Maybe even the 17 Jet and 17 Killer Bee too

Daryl
11-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Bob - my AB ran an easy 4,450fps with 15gr. Bergers. That should discombobulate a crow. I'd expect 4,400fps with 17's using Lil'Gun form the Viper.
: I started with my max 20gr. Vmax loads and went up only a gr. or so from there. the 20gr. max load was already at 4,200fps.

Alan in GA
02-24-2008, 09:54 AM
You know, I thought by NOW Hornady would have 'caught up' and been supplying the 17/17 Vmax in boxes as components. So the HMR really must be still in high demand.
If the 17HM2 demand is dwindling shouldn't that have helped reduce the Vmax demand a bit?
Anyone know where we/Hornady is as far as how long before the 17/17 is an available component?

The Old Redneck
02-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Alan, I know that the 17 HM-2 is a dieing round because so many people on the internet say it is. The fact that so many of us that like it are still buying ammo for it in case lotts, and multiple case lots is probably why the litle bullets haven't made it on the market yet. Don't you just hate it when old farts like me keep buying enough ammo for a useless dead round to keep the bullets off the market. I wish they would put the bullets out, they make good loads for some of the rimfire stuff I play with loading. I would tell you I'm sorry that the 17 HM-2 has not just give up the ghost and died but a lot of us really like the little round. The 17 grain bullet is what made the HMR and HM-2 work so well. The 15 grain Berger in the HMR and HM-2 really fires the little rounds up. Don't guess they will take time to load it in the HM-2 due to it dieing, but would hope to see it in the HMR. FB

Alan in GA
02-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Back when it first came out I relined a standard sporter Ruger 10/22 barrel for it. First chambered it to 17 High Standard [Brownell's first reamer labelling] and shot 17 Aguila in it. I still have the 50 yard indoor target. THEN, I ran the HM2 reamer in the same liner chamber and was able to still shoot the shorter Aguila round as well as the new HM2. MUCH better accuracy, about 1" @ 100 yards. For some,,,or I should say LACK OF 'reason', I sold that barrel to a gunsmith friend for $60:eek: . I never did alter my 10/22 other than a recoil buffer which I do to any 10/22. Never had failure to feed/fire/eject,,,,worked perfectly.
Now I"m thinking about another one,,,probably a bolt rifle.
What think? Tell my why I 'need' one.:D {ps,,,I'm EASY~!}

Alan in GA
02-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Just remembered I have an almost full 50 round box of Hornady HM2 ammo out in the rimfire ammo drawer.
That's it,,I need a rifle..............:)

The Old Redneck
02-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Alan, because I'm such a good guy and would hate for you to get hooked on a dieing round, here is the plan. You order a C Z in 17 HM-2, pay for it, have it shipped to me. I'll make sure you never shoot it and get hooked on the dieing little round. I'll even come over and pick up the ammo you have left to help keep you from having flash backs about it. I'm only offering to do this because being a 17 fan I know you have a weakness for rounds like this. Who knows it may keep you from organizing "Save the HM-2 rallys", wouldn't want anything like that to happen. Have your gun dealer get in touch with my dealer to work out the details. Remember I'm only making this offer because I like you, and I'm trying to save you from another dieing round.
Let me know if this plan didn't work and I'll come up with another one. F B

A17Shooter
02-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Just remembered I have an almost full 50 round box of Hornady HM2 ammo out in the rimfire ammo drawer.
That's it,,I need a rifle..............:)

Good plan. But, don't get one of those cheap Marlins or Savages. Go straight to the Coopers. That way everyone will know you're serious about the HM2.

:)

17tbs
02-24-2008, 04:33 PM
dying round my white D$$

A17Shooter
02-24-2008, 06:15 PM
If you're sitting around watching the rain or snow today. Email Hornady about selling the 17 gr VMax. I just sent them this plea.

Greetings,

Hope you are having a nice day.

Once again I would like to request that Hornady release the 17 gr 17 caliber VMax to the commercial market. I have three small case 17 caliber firearms that need a 17 caliber bullet smaller than 20 grains. I have faithfully purchased 17 caliber bullets from Hornady since 1991 and admire the quality of your products. But, my 17 CCM (rifle & pistol) and 17 JAN require a lighter weight bullet. Please expedite this reasonable request.

Hope to see you in the varmint towns,

Gary Nance

CC: WWW.Saubier.com

Now I'm waiting for the response that says the 17 gr bullet isn't strong enough for a centerfire. :rolleyes:

fosters
02-24-2008, 09:51 PM
A few years ago, I tried the 60 gr Nosler partitions in 3 22/250's....would not shoot worth a rip.....tried lots of combos....other 60 grainers shot decently. Called Nosler....the tech support guy, said to try seating them .025 off the lands, that might work....it didn't. He said there seemed to be a lot of problems with any degree of accuracy with that particular bullet....I mean, it wasn't even deer accurate.

georgeld
02-25-2008, 05:58 AM
I can't break Nosler 40gr's into less than an inch in my Sako .223.
Yet, 40gr V max are one hole under .3"

This is with a 14:1
I was disappointed as I'd swapped a hunting buddy out of 1500 of them.
Nice guy he was, took them back.

Sure be nice if Hornady would supply the market with these 17gr v max's.
Bet they'd have to install another bullet machine to keep up with demand. Which baffle's me why they haven't already installed enough machine's to meet demand by now. Gosh, they'd had around three years, isn't it?