PDA

View Full Version : What tumbling media do you use?

GreatWaputi
01-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Has anyone found a tumbling media that doesn't get stuck in the flash holes of small cases? I recently bought a jug of Lyman corn media and just about every single case I have to push media out of the flash holes, which really gets to be a PITA! If you've found a media that works good, I'd love to hear about it.

wblodgett
01-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I've gone back and forth between Walnut and Corncob a few times. In the end I stuck with Walnut as it seems to do a better job of cleaning the cases and doesn't tend to get stuck in flash holes. I use the the Midway/Frankford Walnut Media and throw in a bit of the Midway/Frankford polish.

-Bill

BobG
01-21-2008, 11:51 PM
I also had the same problem and switched
to walnut. No more problem.

altejaeger
01-22-2008, 12:43 AM
I've used both types. Of late I have been using untreated corn cob media.
Toss in several cap fulls of Flitz, tumble until dry and then in go the cases.
Recently purchased an RCBS Media separator and it works great. The last
time I had no media left in the primer flash holes or media in the case body. Flitz does a good job polishing the brass. Realize what may work for one may not work for another. :)

Mntngoat
01-22-2008, 01:51 AM
I don't de prime before tumbling. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of walnut media that seems to work real well.

ML

Larry in VA
01-22-2008, 03:32 AM
I remember seeing at a gun show a dealer who mainly delt with brass & gun cleaning supplies. One of the items he was hawking was a Walnut Hull media that was ground up extra fine so as not to get stuck in the flash holes. He said it worked great (of course) and had sold a ton of it. Since I always deprimed after cleaning (so as not to run filthy cases thru my expensive sizing dies) I never had a problem with media getting stuck in my flash holes. Midway use to sell a similar product, except made from corn cobb, but they don’t have it now, I looked.

If something like this interests you I would check out the gun shows and the local pet stores. Especially the big chain pet stores. They sell a lot of ground up corn cobb and wall nut shell in various sizes for pet use. It’s usually pretty cheap too, at least compared to the price the retailers are selling us the stuff for......:eek: So if anyone is looking to replenish there cleaning media check out the pet stores, you will be surprised at the price difference. Have been buying mine a PetCo for a couple of years now.

Larry

Mntngoat
01-23-2008, 03:23 PM
$10.00 worth at Petco will run you close to 3x's at Midway or any other handloading retailer.

ML

n-rigger
01-24-2008, 03:42 AM
steel wool, fine course. chuck the case in a spinner and rotate in drill for a few seconds. varmint al talked me out of tumbling due to how the case mouths get banged up. the rest of the cases are a bit tarnished but it doesnt bother me or affect accuracy or functionality at all. if i started loading for handguns, it might be a different story since shiney smooth brass helps in feeding/extraction.

GLShooter
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
I buy the walnut stuff from PetSmart and add some NuFinish car polish to the mix. It works well and since I don't deprime I have no issues with the flash hole problem. I can't tell where cleaning the primer pocket after firing makes any difference in my accuracy which is sure better than minute of prairie dog.

smike308
01-30-2008, 11:25 PM
GLShooter & Mntngoat--
What is it packaged and sold as in those two stores. I've looked for corn cob media in both stores but haven't found any. TIA.
Mike

Cujo
05-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi,

I'm a new guy here but hopefully I can help you out on this one.

I never deprime before tumbling. As Larry said, your best bang for the buck is going to be the crushed English walnut sold at the local petstore. I buy it in a 5.5 quart plastic bag. The cost is definitely less than half of what the other cleaning media costs at your internet shooting supply stores. The place to look is in the reptile section as they use it for their bedding.

I usually tumble high volumes with a little bit of Dillon polish. After tumbling, I pour it in the media separator and turn it a few times. After that, you are good to go.

To prolong the life and get some of the dust out of the walnut, I then tear strips of 2 used dryer sheets (Bounce, etc.) and slightly moisten them with water. Press all of the water out of the strips so they are just slightly damp. I then pour the media in the tumbler along with the strips for about 5 minutes. You'll be surprised what type of dust and powder the strips pick up.
Hope this helps you out.

smike308
05-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Cujo--
Thanks for the info and welcome to one of the best shooting forums on the 'net.
Mike