PDA

View Full Version : Imperial sizing wax?????

sodbuster
02-17-2008, 04:12 PM
I have never used the stuff before,so I have a few questions. I just bullet seater sized some hornet cases to form .17 hornet with the Imperial and am very impressed. Now how do you guys lube the insides of your necks with the stuff so the expander doesn`t stretch your case? Also after all sizing is done how do you clean your cases to remove the wax?

Thanks for all the info,
sodbuster

Chuck Miller
02-17-2008, 05:14 PM
I use a 17cal nylon bore brush screwed onto a RCBS handle, smear some on the bristles. Grab about 6-8 cases at once, neck up, and a couple of passes with the brush, doesn't take much. As for cleaning them, I don't. You may get a little bit of powder collecting on the inside of the neck but it's never had an affect on seating and it's not there after you shoot them.

benjamin
02-17-2008, 09:22 PM
try alberta vo5 or lanolin works great forming 219 don wasp no dents or crush.

RicN
02-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Alberta V05- huh, what a good idea; will wonders never stop?

wblodgett
02-18-2008, 02:00 AM
I use the wax on the inside of the necks too (I apply it with a q-tip). I tumble my cases for 30 minutes or so once I've sized 'em to remove the wax.

I tried the old powdered graphite but it was rather messy.

Redding did add a new product to their line which should make the graphite a bit easier to apply if you want to go that route:

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/appmedia.html

-Bill

rstreich
02-18-2008, 12:19 PM
I quit using the sizing wax altogether not too long ago. Lately, I only use Ballistol for FL sizing and forming, the NECO moly kit for neck sizing, and assembly lube for turning and expanding necks. I think I only have one die that still has the expander ball in it, but that one will likely be replaced by a Lee collet die in the future.

Mntngoat
02-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Hornady's One shot spray lube works and is real easy to apply. But I still use Imperial for case forming.

ML

Cranky Bugga
02-18-2008, 07:41 PM
I've gone back to using RCBS case lube 2 for all my case forming and resizing as it is water soluble and make clean up so easy. I also used Imperial wax but now use the RCBS product. For lubing the inside of case necks try the old pipe cleaners. The metal core makes them much more durable than Q tips and you can bend them double for more strength and lube carrying.
Shellite ( I think you guys call it White spirit- the stuff thats used in lightweight camping stoves) will remove Imperial wax
Cheers

17 shooter
03-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I used Imperial Sizing Die wax for yers and its very good. About a year ago I started using Hornady One Shot and it is GREAT.......The only problem with Imperial Sizing Die Wax is getting it off the case after you have sized it. Sure it will come off, but it takes some wiping. Follow the directions on the Hornady One Shot and it is clean, simple and works every bit as good or better than the wax.

TinMan
03-11-2008, 09:45 PM
I generally use Hornady One-Shot for regular full length sizing. Used to use Lee Lube for neck sizing, but switched to using powdered graphite and find it much easier and cleaner. Got an empty Skoal can from a guy who uses, filled it half full with No. 8 shot, then dumped in a healthy dose of dry powdered graphite obtained from the local Ace Hardware in a small squeeze bottle. Cap the Skoal can and shake it up. Hold cases mouth down and push them down into the graphite coated shot 3 or 4 times. Both the inside and outside of the neck are coated just right, no mess, no clean-up.

DittoHead
03-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Hornady also is making a wax sizing lube:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=198318&t=11082005

I haven't used it, just recently spotted it in a catalog.

Oleman
03-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Have used it on everything I load since 1989 got tired of that sticky gooey BS and dented cases. I do put some around the top of the case opening to lube the expander ball. I use it on case forming as well with good results. It gets used on every case I load from 17 Caliber thru .378 Weatherby.

gube
03-23-2008, 07:46 PM
got tired of that sticky gooey BS and dented cases. I do put some around the top of the case opening to lube the expander ball. I use it on case forming as well with good results. It gets used on every case I load .
No more RCBS case lube for me. No more problems with dented cases since I switched to Imperial sizing wax.

Stephen Perry
04-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I have used Imperial Wax since 93. Keep a can in each of my loading kits. My main cases to size are 22 and 6 PPC. I also use Imperial when neck turning.

When I use Imperial for FL sizing PPC cases apply with fingers concentrating on wiping the bottom half of the case where most of the sizing action goes on. I use a RCBS nylon brush without using Imperial to run the inside of the case necks before sizing. The nylon brush picks up enough graphite from previous cases to not require lubrication during sizing. My case necks after running the nylon brush run smooth through my sizing dies. Imperial is good stuff all the benchrest suppliers sell the stuff.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Dean2
04-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I polished all the expander buttons, neck size only, and lube the inside neck of about every 5th case. I use the Imperial or Dry Graphite, I can see no difference. I don't remove either before I load the powder and bullet.

For the few cartridges that I do full length resize, I still use RCBS or Lee water soluable lube. Applied properly, as in not too much, with a good lube pad it works just fine and it is so much easier to just wash it off, or use a damp rag, compared to needing a solvent to remove the Imperial. I tried tossing them in the tumbler, it works but it messes up the media in real short order.

For heavy forming operations I could see the benefit of Imperial but for general use on the outside of the case, I find it too much work to clean up. I am always looking for the least work way to do things, some call that lazy, I call it conservation of effort.:D To each his own however.

Jim D
04-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Is the Imperial wax, water soluble ?
I like using The RCBS water soluble stuff, as I ultrasonic clean.
No contaminates that way.
Jim

Sask Al
04-11-2011, 05:12 AM
I tumble my brass after resizing so clean up hasn't been an issue. I sure do like that wax though.

AzSam
04-14-2011, 05:07 AM
I agree with Sask Al. Started using it a number of years ago, it may not be the faster thing going, but it works very well. For clean-up I have a seperate thumbler bowl with plain corn cob. Dump 'em in and let them swirl around a bit, I guess 15mins or so while I doing something else. I never really timed it.

Michael.

JoeZ
04-16-2011, 02:23 AM
I use Imperial for forming and neck turning. I only use a little bit. Leave it on the cases for Fire forming. I do run a dry nylon brush down the neck to knock the carbon out when I clean the primer pockets, then I use One shot.

SShooterZ
04-18-2011, 10:52 PM
I was doing some .222 resizing this weekend and couldn't get over how many rounds I've resized and how little wax I've actually used. The stuff looks like it will last forever.