PDA

View Full Version : Which Press?

huntnfish08
04-09-2008, 04:14 AM
I need to decide on a reloading press to buy. I'm just getting into reloading so need either a kit or a used set. I'll be loading .270Win, 17AH, and 20Prac. Not high volume so I don't need a turret press or anything. What would you guys suggest?

20Prac can be made with 223 dies and a .20 bushing. I've heard that 17AH can be made in one pass, and would like to go that route. What dies do I need?

Thanks,
Adam

The Old Redneck
04-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Lee makes a kit for just under $100.00 that has everything but dies. RCBS also has a kit with the Rockchucker press that runs around $250.00. I have used both because a friend is in the reloading supply/ammo business. I have been loading for over 40 years and have several different presses. The Lee presses work and would be a good place to start if you are on a tight budget. My favorite press is the old RCBS Rockchucker because I have used one so much over the years. For dies ask around the board here. I'm one of the old farts that bought or made dies in a series of form dies for case forming. Lots of guys use the bushing dies and that would probably be the best way to go. On forming cases, some rounds are easy to form by pulling the seater punch and using the seating die first then the FL die. Depends on the round. Good luck with whatever you choose. FB

ray h
04-09-2008, 12:05 PM
As F.B. said check out Lee, particularly the Classic. Its steel, very accurate and some here are using it for some stages of bullet swaging. IMO thats says a lot for a press.

Mntngoat
04-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I have 5 of the Lee classic presses for bullet making and use a RCBS rockchucker for hand loading. I think the Lee Classic press is better than the RCBS. May be I should paint it green.

ML

brettTC
04-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I really like my forster CO-AX, It is accurate and easy to use.I like the way the dies are held.
Brett

Varminteer
04-10-2008, 02:09 AM
I second Brett's choice.
Of my three presses my favorite is the Bonanza co-ax. Ebay, gunbroker and auctionarms are all good shopping areas for a used press.

Larry in VA
04-10-2008, 03:25 AM
I'll thirdarary :D the Co-Ax press. I have come to have more confidance in it to load staighter ammo than either my Redding or Rock Chucker. Beware unless you puchase the longer yoke handle you might have a problem with useing the much longer micrometer seating dies for some cases. (It may come standard with the new presses now, I don't know.) I stopped useing the case holder that came with the press and opted for the standard shell holder adapter that Forester has come out with. I feel it actually floats easier to self center its position under the die.

One manufacturer and I wish I could remember who, used CNC machinery to bore the critical alignment holes for the ram and the threaded dies. This was (according to the individual I was conversing with at the time) supposed to load very straight ammo, noticeably straighter than any other press. I know the maker in question wasn’t RCBS or Redding, thinking it was Lee (cast iron press) or Hornady press. Wish I could remember because I would buy one just to try out, they were not very expensive as I recall.
I just love getting old, don’t you? :rolleyes:

Stephen Perry
04-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Others are fine.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

harpo111
04-09-2011, 11:37 PM
i have a lee, a lyman and a Texan three position...for leverage...the lyman, for general stuff the lee...but for handgun and where i am using a lee factory crimp die...that Texan rocks...too bad they are out of business....press is a tank and better made than a lot of the new gear out there...
k

long shot
04-10-2011, 01:22 AM
I will do my best to help ya spend some money here:D The Rockchucker will treat you very well for FL sizing and forming, needless to say it easily handles neck sizing. If minimum bullet runout is a concern, do your seating with an arbor press and Wilson seating dies. This combo should have you manufacturing top quality handloads. Best of luck, have fun and be safe with whatever you choose.

Aaron

SmokinJoe
04-11-2011, 03:02 PM
I have had all these different presses over the years and they are all very good pieces of equipment, and they all have advantages & disadvantages. I have recently sold my Co-Ax & RCBS presses after buying a Lee Classic Cast. I love the primer ejection through the ram. Of course the Co-Ax does something similar, but I have gotten into using die shims to precisely control shoulder bump & feel that is best accomplished in a screw-in die setup. Got the Lee on sale at Midway awhile back for about $80. Randy Robinett pointed me towards the Lee after showing me that he used several of them in his bullet making business, and he is a stickler for precision.

iiranger
04-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Reloading is an addiction and you will never "have it all." Always something new to try... So BEWARE! Real "pain in the budget..."

It would be easiest if you had mentioned a number as in amount to spend. I have been a LEE fan since that was new. Great equipment that gets the job done CHEAP, welll, inexpensively. Had a Rockchucker couple years before that. CH. Started with Lyman 310's copied from the Ideal loaders of the 1800s. (Lee Loader was not a new design.) Doubt I would have wanted to case forM with the pre-"cast press" LEE presses made of aluminum.. Now with the cast iron press, that is over too. The hand press is great for decapping sitting in front of the boob tube... You have to make things work for you... Just be very, very careful and sober with the important and risky stuff like pouring the powder charge.

First I would buy up a half dozen or more used load manuals and study them. One will read easier for you. Get a new copy/edition for most current data.

Last, the Corbins, Dave at corbins.com and Richard at rceco.com, have the Rolls Royce of presses. Roller bearings and the leverage to make bullets. They (some) can be adapted to reloading. And you can have hydraulic power. But if you have to ask what it costs, probably don't want it... Best of Luck. Enjoy. Happy trails. Etc.

Alycidon
04-20-2011, 08:57 PM
RCBS Rockchuker for a press that will do everything pretty well. An arbour press has its benifits but Wilson don't do dies for 17AH and you cant ease shoulders back with an arbour as far as I am aware.

A

Stephen Perry
04-21-2011, 01:09 AM
I'll take a used single stage press over anything new. You can buy most anything in a used press for $150 or less lots times under $100.

If you want to reload pistol and medium/30-06 length cartridges a RCBS Jr, Lyman Spartan, or CH press does fine. There are others but not any better for small caliber cartridges. Priming tubes are alright but I don't like seating smashed primers. I use either a Lee or K&M to seat primers. Buy once, whatever press you buy learn to like your reloading press.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Raid5
04-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Got one this spring and love it. I ran 500 20VT through it last night. I took the handle off of it after about 150 rounds because I didn't need the leverage and it speed up the process. I don't check run out yet but I love just sliding the die into the press and go. No shell holders and I haven't had a stuck case in it yet because of the way it holds the shells. It has about the same leverage throughout the stroke. It is great for trying different dies for resizing. Spent primer drop is clean too. I have used RCBS and Lee presses too.
Dave B.

ray h
04-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Dave they make a short handle for that press, just for the reason you found.

Stephen Perry
05-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Recieved my Pacific Press this week. Weighs in at 13.5 lb, feels good. Has a universal shell holder ram, that's good. Has the 4" bolt mount pattern and a 3rd bolt hole if you want. The web is massiive for a C press. I took my CH press off my bench for now. Now I have my Rockchucker on my right side and my Pacific on my left. Can't do much better than that for single stage presses.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Raid5
05-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks Ray. I was thinking about making one that forms a 90 degree bend and put bearings on the grip. I made one for my Rockchucker and it works great. I think it would be better ergonomically.
Dave

ray h
05-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Good idea Dave, it would save reaching up.

OnyxSkyDV
05-06-2011, 11:57 PM
I will also throw in a recommendation for the Forester CO-AX. The fast die swap is really nice, especially when testing out forming steps.

Onyx

Alycidon
05-07-2011, 09:21 PM
I will do my best to help ya spend some money here:D The Rockchucker will treat you very well for FL sizing and forming, needless to say it easily handles neck sizing. If minimum bullet runout is a concern, do your seating with an arbor press and Wilson seating dies. This combo should have you manufacturing top quality handloads. Best of luck, have fun and be safe with whatever you choose.

Aaron

I second that, spot on info.

A

sicero
05-19-2011, 05:41 AM
I just had occasion to use a Lee press at my brothers. I don't know the model but it is the one where the dies fit in a bushing for a quick change of dies without unscrewing the die. The bushing and die come out together and go back the same place with an interupted thread. It worked fine until I put a 17 Remington seating die. The bushing did not let the bottom of the die down to clear the press and loading those little 17s was nearly imposible. At home I have three 007 Pacific's on my right and a Lyman turret in front of me but use the Pacifics for everything. I shortened the stroke on one of the Pacifics to work better with my reducing and seating dies for little 17s as they can be screwed in farther and I can then see what I am doing.
I would suggest buying two used single stage press. One should be a Rock Crusher, Orange Crusher or 007 Pacific or other heavy duty cam over press. Kenny