PDA

View Full Version : 204R 11 Twist Finished - Thanks Guys!

Rick in Oregon
04-23-2008, 02:48 PM
A while back I asked for advice on building my 2nd 204 Ruger using an 11 twist barrel for the 39 and 40 grain bullets. You guys stepped up and offered much advice and experience.

Well, the rifle is finished, I've just barely got the barrel broken in, the 2nd half of break-in was in a ground squirrel infested field on a ranch here in Oregon last week. Only one group shot with the new rig during break-in, shots number 30 thru 35, using a load for my Sako 204 "just to see" how it would shoot. Target shown was shot in a vicious full-value 10 mph switching cross wind, and can still be covered by a dime. The rifle accounted for quite a few squirrels, all first shot hits out just past 350 yards, the limiting factor again was the dang wind during our shoot, or I would have stretched the distance.

The 11 twist seems to suit the 39 SBK's well, and I wanted to thank all who helped me make the decision. Here's the details for those interested:

M700 SS short action, fully blueprinted by Pac-Nor
Pac-Nor Stainless Super Match barrel, 11 twist 204 Ruger, match chamber, custom reamer, 230" neck, .015" freebore, 24" long, 11 degree target crown, Remington varmint contour.
Jewel HVR trigger set at 6 ozs.
H-S Precision Varmint Stock w/aluminum bedding block.
Leupold VX-III 6.5-20X LR scope 30mm tube/40mm objective w/M1 elevation & VHR reticle mounted in 30mm Leupold low rings and Dual Dovetail mounts.

She's been affectionatly named "The Silver Princess of Death"....and rightly so, as she really racked up an impressive body count during this first shoot for her. Thanks again guys, the advice was most appreciated.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/packrat1/DSC_0095.jpg

Here's that target shot during the windy break-in.....I'm anxious to work up her own load:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/packrat1/DSC_0008-4.jpg

Now it's back to the 'man-room' to load up more cases for the next outing.

Tucker65
04-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Hey nice gun you put together there Rick. I'm in Astoria, Oregon and am planning a trip back east to shoot some squirrels myself here pretty soon. I just got the wife a new 17 Fireball and can't wait to see how it performs on the varmints.

Where abouts are you going over there. It seems to be getting harder to find places to go that aren't leased by someone.

Thanks, John

Rick in Oregon
04-24-2008, 08:33 PM
John - You're going to really like the 17FB on squirrels, I promise. Now all we need is the weather to cooperate and get "spring-like".

PM sent on the 'where to go' question.

Phasor
04-25-2008, 03:46 AM
That's a pretty rifle for sure....and looks like a great shooter.

Nice shooting...

Phasor