PDA

View Full Version : 17 Rem/30 gr Bullets & N-540

GLWenzl
05-28-2008, 02:46 AM
I finally got out the stash of 30 gr bullets I had on hand and wanted to share my experience.

VV N-540 will really make the bullets fly! At first when I thought I was getting bullets that didn’t make it to the 100 yard target they were in fact not only making it to the 100 yard target but was piling up in on hole. (Something I just don’t see happen on my targets)

Anyway I know Silverfox has talked about this combo before and it is a good combo for this AR!

Also I have to add where the 30 Golds didn’t shoot as well as the 30 Bergers in my CZ at higher velocity the Golds did have a slight edge at higher velocity in my AR???

Now to work on some low end KS loads for the fast pace shooting.....

Varminteer
05-28-2008, 05:47 AM
Hello,
I checked the Vihtavuori website and didn't find info for the 17rem. How many grains and velocity for your favorite N-540 load? I guess your using the currently available flat base target or varmint 30gr Bergers. I have several boxes of the discountinued BTHP 30gr Bergers that are looking for a good load.
Thanks, Larry

venatic
05-28-2008, 04:12 PM
I would be interested also and what kind of speed are you getting.

GLWenzl
05-29-2008, 01:30 AM
Do not use this as a starting load as it is a MAX load in MY riffle and hard to say what it might be in yours... The load was 25.2 that ave 3894 fps.

Varminteer
05-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Thank you,
I will use this forum post to justify to my home bean counter (wife) that I need another type of powder. Hope she does not count the other eight types of powder already on hand. Thank goodness females can not read reloading manuals.

Silverfox
05-30-2008, 02:58 AM
GLWenzl--Glad to hear good old N-540 is working with the 30 gr. bullets for you in your AR! As you mentioned, I have been using N-540 with the 30 gr. HP Starke bullet for a number of years. That is my coyote bullet in my Lilja barreled .17 Remington. The barrel is stainless steel, 26" long, has a 1 in 9" twist and 4 grooves. I use a load of 24.6 gr. of N-540, Remington 7½ primers, and weigh all my powder charges. My muzzle velocity with this load is 3,900 fps. This is a safe load in my rifle. Your mileage may vary, so start with a lower powder charge weight and work your way up slowly!!!

I could not get the 30 gr. Kindler Golds to shoot worth a hoot in that Lilja barreled rifle. I built a .17 Rem with a super match grade Pac-Nor barrel with a 1 in 9" twist and 3 grooves and that rifle won't shoot the 30 gr. Golds worth a hoot either??? Currently, I'm experimenting with some 27.8 gr. BTHP Hammett bullets with Danzac coating on them. I found one load with N-540 that gives me real good accuracy, but am using a load of H4895 that gives me the accuracy AND a bit more velocity.