PDA

View Full Version : 204 build completed.

wadevb1
07-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Greetings, new guy here. Lurked for a year or so and decided to join. I just got a little deeper in the sub-caliber arena with a semi-custom build. I've been shooting two 22PPC's over the years and decided to go with a rifle where I could just buy factory ammo and chase varmints. I went with a Rem 700 LVSF 204 and wasn't too impressed with whatever I fed her. I decided if I was going to handload I may as well send her off. Clay Spencer did the work with a full blueprint, bedding and chambering a Lilja 3 groove tube. I finished the last ten round string for break-in tonight and was quite impressed with the groups thus far. I topped her off with a VxIII 6.5x20. I had Neil Jones tune the trigger previously and she breaks clean at one pound.

I discovered two things on this build. The Lilja quit fouling after ten shoot and clean. The barrel just doesn't copper very easily compared to a Krieger I just finished. The second thing I tried and now wont do without: WipeOut patchout cleaner, very impressive stuff.

Here is a pic of the build. The machining done by Clay is impressive.
http://usera.imagecave.com/wadevb1/Spencer.bmp.jpg

willyp19
07-20-2008, 03:52 PM
What twist did you go with, and what bullets are you using?

wadevb1
07-20-2008, 09:54 PM
I stayed with the 1-12 and bought Berger 35's and BK 39's. I have a few pounds of Varget, Benchmark and BL-C2 from my PPC's. While breaking her in it was grouping both Hornady 32 and 40 factory loads extremely well.