PDA

View Full Version : 204 or 20 tac?

Hawkeye
08-03-2008, 05:52 PM
My brother wants to build a new rifle but doesn't know which to go with.

If you go with the 20 Tac;
Since the cartridge is not SAAMI spec, how do you go about getting dies that are close to chamber dimensions?

Whats the forming sequence to make the brass from 223/5.56?

Is the military brass the way to go vs. commercial?

From what I have told him, IMHO,there isn't any significant gains over the 204R other than inexpensive military brass and maybe a slight savings in powder.

Is it worth the effort?

casts_by_fly
08-03-2008, 06:26 PM
sounds like a 20 practical miht be the way...

Oleman
08-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Since your talking custom not factory either will do fine.

As for forming TAC20 I run it through the forming die first then the FL die using Imperial Die Wax. No problem great cases. I have used Remington, WW and Lake City brass all have shot very well.

As for dies the .204's will be much cheaper. My TAC20 dies are Redding. But the .223 brass you can find much cheaper than .204 if you can find the .204. You can get .223 Lapua or TAC20 Dakota brass. You can't get quality .204 brass.

How close are the TAC20 dies. Close enough to do this. http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/Oleman_photos/32SierraH4198II.jpg

I've had five; five shot groups under the .2's

Bayou City Boy
08-16-2008, 04:58 PM
You'll never regret getting a Tac 20....

Even thought some folks on some forums are convinced that they are inferior to the factory 204 Ruger in velocity, a PD at 400 yards won't care. In reality, they are so close that many Tac 20's will out shoot a 204 Ruger in velocity.

I currently own two 204 Rugers and two Tac 20's, and I seldom shoot the 204 Rugers anymore. I've gone back to using my Tac 20's for just about everything.....

JMO - BCB

MustangGreg66
08-16-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm in the same boat, consdering rebarreling my .223 Remington 700 in one of these two calibers... the 20 tac is winning so far in that I have tons of left over .223 brass to form from, mostly winchester, but some .223 Lapua I was going to think about transforming.

I'm wondering what's the fireforming process like? are the fireforming loads accurate enough to hunt with? Anyone chronographed their fireforming loads? I hate thinking about wasting much lead on paper, especially with the increased price of bullets. Can it be done without bullets?

Bayou City Boy
08-17-2008, 02:51 PM
I own two Tac 20 rifles.

In both of them I use the exact same load for die formed brass as I use when reloading fire formed brass. In both rifles, both loads shoot to the very same point of aim and are equally accurate.

The only difference I cans see is when the slightly "improved" cartridge comes out of the rifle when you compare it to an unfired/die-formed case. Even then, the difference is not very much.

For me, the dreaded "fire forming issue'"is greatly exaggerated.....

JMO - BCB

trevort
08-18-2008, 12:13 AM
I've just picked up a light varmint 1 in 12 shilen which will be used to convert my 223 to Tac 20. The smith has what seems his own version which appears to be basically short chambering with a 204 ruger reamer. Neck down and fireform the shoulder.

The 'real' Tac 20 has a longer neck. Is it likely to be advantageous over the smith's version. Brass forming seems very simple his way. Incidentally there is a guy on our local board who has one and is very happy as is the guy who had him make a 20 practical and my 204 ruger sings!

tim simbari
08-20-2008, 09:12 PM
I'd agree about the TAC20. The reamers are essentially all the same, the Lapua brass is the best in the world. You don't gain anything by neckturning it. I cannot prove it but i susspect that they are naturally more accurate.

Tom
08-21-2008, 01:20 AM
I bought my own .20 Tac reamer with a .231" neck. I end up just turning a little to thin the neck down by the shoulder, no big deal to me, gives a guy something to do in those cold winter months up here.

I think and this is just my opinion, the .20 Tac is much easier to load for. I shoot mainly 39-40gr bullets and I get velocity and accuracy with a number of powders, whereas the .204 is finicky.

Tom

John E Rupert
09-12-2008, 07:08 PM
I have (3) three Remington's in 204 Ruger. One in the discontinued LVSF and two VSF SSII. The rifles are long throated and I can't touch the riflings and still be able to use the magazine for repeaters. Guess what I jump the bullets a county mile and get high velocity (4368 fps) with the 32 Sierria bullet. I use mostly a 150 yd. zero and get 3/8" groups consistantly. Now that sure blew my mind cause all these years 50+ I've been trying to shoot and develope loads by touching the rifleings or just a hair off. I seem to get higher velocity with less chamber pressure jumping like this. Now for brass I find the Nosler some of the best. If I was to go for another 20 caliber it would be another 204 Ruger........... PS I use a lot of Reloader 10X and think it gives less pressure or maybe a slower pressure curve then the other recommended powders for this caliber.

ab_bentley
09-12-2008, 08:54 PM
It is all who you feel comfortable going with, it is exactly like the Mach 4 and the fireball, you have to consider wher you can get brass and dies from and what rifles can be used, the same thing different beginings.
________
Pregnant tits (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/924/tits/videos/1)
________
VAPORIZER INFO (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)