PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate it when ...

drewh
09-24-2006, 01:35 AM
Everything else is working except the nut behind the trigger. The last shot of the day and I had to pull it out. Finally got close to where I was hoping to be: Under 1/2" at 100 and over 4000 fps iwth my 17 Kestrel ( .200 short 17 remington) in my Wasatch #2, which is still under construction.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/cahussey/harrier/IMG_1161_1_1.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/cahussey/harrier/IMG_1156_1_1_1_2_1.jpg

GLWenzl
09-24-2006, 01:46 AM
What bullet and weight?

Very nice rig ya have there!!! Have to try some 30s too!

drewh
09-24-2006, 02:13 AM
Gary,
That is with 25 grain v-max bullets. A little more tweaking and I don't think the ground squirrels are going to like me at all.

Drew

Alex
09-24-2006, 03:29 PM
... either Berger 25's or VMax 20's. My results mirror yours, exactly, with rifles that should do better. I'm not sure whether it's bullet lot related (problems with the 20 VMax often are), or that some rifles just don't like 'em.

Also, in the real premium realm, try some 25 gr. Kindlers, either the regular or the Golds.

That rifle just should do lots better than that. I have a M-38 Cooper Classic in 17M4 that absolutely ran me crazy until I isolated the problems. Several were due to funky brass, but one was a bad lot of 20 VMaxes, the other was that it just didn't like the 25 VMax. I'd post a pic of two 100 yard groups with Kindler 25's, but they look too much like a Cooper test target (45 yards), and someone would accuse me of using my 17 cal pencil creatively.

Lovely rifle.

Alex

foxhunter
09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
take a empty case, debur the inside and out side use it as a paper punch with a small hammer to get the size group you want. then go back to the pencil and gray the edges of the bullet holes.

i personally have never done this but have seen some groups posted on the net that looked like they were shot with a hi-powerd rifle with wadcutters, LOL.

Drew, now thats my kind of rifle, do you plan to checker it?
lookin good.

drewh
09-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Alex, I still think the v-maxes will do just fine,and the pulled out shot was all my doing. I am still working up the ladder to find the sweet spot, then I will try fine tuning the seating depth. I would love to have that rifle do in the 3's consistently.
Drew

drewh
09-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Foxhunter, I have been thinking about having the pistol grip area checkered. I haven't done any checkering myself, so I would problably have to send that stock out. It is turning out too nice for me to use it for checkering practice.
Drew