PDA

View Full Version : Brigadier 3032 (Scot) load data??

ducksoup
11-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I have two new .17 calibre rifles, one is a .17 Mach IV and the other is a .17 FireBall. Recentally A friend of mine traded me several pounds of Brigadier 3032 powder he had laying around. Burn rate is close to Benchmark, H322 and others that seem to work well in the MK IV/FB. I can't find any load data at all for brigadier powders. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start load workup with this powder?

iiranger
11-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Scot powders of Scotland, [SURPRISE!] did some contract work for Dupont IMR ... SO after the production since everything was all set up anyway... They ran 4064 and standardized it to IMR standards but called theirs 4065! IMR 3031 Sctoch produced to IMR standard was called 3032. 4350 became 4351... I still have an empty container or two around for the collector value. AND you are supposedly able to use the IMR data VERY, VERY carefully. Start with "starting loads" or maybe cut them 3%... I believe Accurate Arms Powder took them over -distribution anyway-- and included some data for a short time in their reloading manuals. You could visit there web site and/or ask.

Supposedly they use a higher quality of fiber for the base stock than in US... (Oh boy, I am not a powder chemist and no idea what that means...) And they use coatings proven by government (military of course) to lower the burn temperatures and prolong barrel life. There are ball powders now that make the same claim... Longer barrel life suits me, like I shoot that much and no full auto... LUCK.

TinMan
11-10-2008, 09:33 PM
I thought Accurate Arms marketed Scot and maybe Brigadier in the mid to late 90's also. Of course they are now Western Powders, but you might giver them a call.

chris1547
11-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I shot and still shoot 3032 in PPC's. The burn rate is close to H322. Start two to three grains lower then H322 load data and work your way up from there. My final loads have been close to H322 max loads. But as always start low and work up. Its great powder!!!!

ducksoup
01-15-2009, 04:32 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your remarks. I was told by Western Powders that Scot 3032 was discontinued about 20 years ago. The guy I talked to didn't have any load data for it. iiranger that's very interesting info about scot powders. Sounds logical though. IMR3031 is a bulky extruded powder with much longer grains than Scot 3032. Don't know if that matters or not.

Oleman
01-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Did you get that from Haydon or Del? That stuff is dynamite in 6 PPC.