PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Reloading Questions

01-03-2009, 01:52 PM
I've come across some info and would like more opinions.
The first is cartridges can be trimmed to within .005" of the leade(?) So depending on your chamber the cartridge could be longer than standard.
Opinions?
Second is to not necessarily seat bullets touching the rifling. Bullets are seated one calibers length deep. I understand the concept but always thought touching the rifling was more accurate.
Opinions?
Third is to use the slowest powder for your caliber.
Opinions?
Is there a source of information that covers this type of thing?
Thanks.

trotterlg
01-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I would say #1 is true. Number 2, seating the bullet at least 1 cal deep is a guide line for keeping it straight, it works for me and generally keeps the bullet straight and does not allow it to fall out if you have it in the magazine when you fire the rifle. Best accuracy can be found at any seating depth, you will have to experment. Number 3, Personally I try to it that way, it seems to work well and produce good consistance, your results may be different. Best thing about it is that it usually results in a nearly full case which I think is a good thing. Problem with reading about things on the internet is that you have no idea if the person writing it is a wacko or not. Larry

GLWenzl
01-04-2009, 02:03 AM
I agree with trotterlg, especially the wacko writer which is me sometimes. As far as the bullet touching the lands and being more accurate doesn't always hold true from what I have seen in my messing around. Some powders I have tried seem to like it better than others but then looking at the design of the 204 Ruger with a bullet jump (or leap) has worked out very well for that cartridge. I have always been a slow powder long barrel type of guy but have plenty of shorter barrels and faster powders in certain cartridge just because it work out that way…

there is some good basic info here, click here (http://www.hornady.com/ballistics/)

king canis
03-07-2009, 03:46 PM
#2 ?: i've had best result at rifling or darn near it in spite of bullet depth in the case. the 204 ruger i had was a prime example. with bullets set so they would fit in the mag., accuracy was dismal-3/4 moa @ 100 yd. i seated bullets to the lands and hand fed the rounds. result: 1/4 moa with 3 different bullets. the bullets were maybe 1/3 caliber in the case. i removed the infernal magazine spacer, lengthened the follower, and modified the the mag spring retention/position so the gun would feed the longer rounds. never knocked a bullet out of alignment feeding from mag. my 17 ack. bee is the same way. it only shoots well with the bullet at the lands. bullets are also 1/3 cal. deep. only knocked em out of alignment by dropping cartridge on hard ground or surface.
#3 ?: i try to find a powder that fills case 90% or better. ignition is more uniform without the powder "lying on the floor". in a load with low density the powder can be closer or further from the primer depending on gun position/ handling. this would be more of an issue in the field, i just like to eliminate rogue variables. my guns have always shot well using this premise.

gunhaus
03-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Hard and fast rule #1 : There ain't no hard and fast rules!

king canis
03-07-2009, 06:08 PM
agreed. that's why factories can't produce that "perfect round". if they did, we couldn't obsess over little details at the reloading bench. let's hope they never do!

Chuck Miller
03-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I would agree that Gary Wenzl is a wacky writer, but he owns a Martini so I cut him some slack.....it's a brotherhood issue:D

There are no hard and fast rules just gererally held opinions by guys with a lot of experience at the loading bench and in the field. Their are exceptions to all you've mentioned. As a rule case trimming will be determined by your chamber dimensions and with all the custom reamers out there it can be all over the map. The only "rule" everyone will agree on is that you should know what that length is and don't exceed it with the preference being to have as long a case as possible. As mentioned the 204 has shown a preference to jumping versus jammed. All 3 of mine like about 25thou of jump and that's 1 Factory rifle(XR100) and 2 Customs. Generally most will agree that less jump the better, again exceptions abound. As for powder, not sure the slowest wins out but case density is thought to be best at 100% if possible. Again my 6.5-284 likes the faster RL15 and H4350 and won't break 1"moa with the 4831 that a lot of guys tout. Who's right, who's wrong, basically a lot of gray with "Safety First" being the over-riding Rule #1. Man if you want opinions you've come to the right place