PDA

View Full Version : 17-222 data

WADE
02-09-2009, 01:43 AM
I know there is alot of 17-222 data out there but for some reason the search is turning up "no matches" for me. So can anyone help me out with what this caliber can do with 30 gr. pills? I'm really thinking about chambering my AR project in this caliber, anyone have any reasons why I shouldn't? Other than maybe flipping much worked over brass into the brush to never be found again.

Oleman
02-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Call Todd Kindler he's ususally pretty good about sharing data. Is you gun a 1 in 9 twist?

No 30 Gr data but you can look here.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=384

WADE
02-09-2009, 02:58 AM
I don't even have a barrel yet but I will for sure be getting a 1 in 9 twist when I do. At this point I'm thinking I'll just get a blank and turn my own barrel, the only thing that concerns me is drilling the gas port and with the adjustable ports and tubes out there I think I can drill it oversized and trim down from there.The current trend in AR parts has really slowed my progress, thanks Obama.

GLWenzl
02-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Sounds like a great project to me! I have a 17 rem in an AR but believe the 17-222 would be better!

The load data is slim pickens for the 30s but I do know of a guy who hangs out here sometimes and uses Benchmark. I would consider looking at Hodgdon’s web site for 30s in the 17 Fireball where they have a max compressed load of Benchmark… Then run it by someone who knows there stuff and see if they think you could use a fireball load for a starting load in the 17-222… Beware of different brands of cases having different capacities….

Whatever you do be safe and try to find a book with some pressures listed!

I started out with 16.5 gr of Tac with a 30 Berger at 3089 fps (pretty low) and carefully worked up to 20.2 grs for 3497 fps. Could not get excited about the load and then I got hung up shooting the Hornady 25 gr V-Max with great velocity and groups… this 17-222 is on a Rem 700.

Looking over my bullet selection just last night I see a box of 5K Rem 50 gr, 22 cal HPs…. Decided the right thing to do was to get me a 223 upper for my 17 rem and some once fired brass and use it PD’n… Well today I think that I happened on to a 5 gal bucket of once fired brass so all I need is the expensive part now!

WADE
02-09-2009, 05:02 AM
Gary,
I was hoping to hear from you as I knew you had a 17-222 and I value your opinion. Before I get to the meat of this post I want to let you know that I spent 8 years as a military armorer and I know a thing or two about building an AR, so if you need any help with your 223 upper let me know. I know the 222 size case will generate enough gas pressure to function the action and the shorter case length will allow the bullet to be seated out farther. But will the avaible 30 gr. bullets do their job at those velocities on the well fed coyotes here in corn country? Anybody with any insight feel free to chime in.

GLWenzl
02-09-2009, 01:05 PM
That is awesome and I will contact you because when it comes to the ARs I might as well be doing brain surgery… I know very little about em. Talked to a local guy at a gunshow yesterday who seems to know his stuff. He thought he could get me into a nice shooting upper in the 600 dollar price if I remember right but he said there would be a lil lead time too. I told him I could not afford anything right now (taking my daughter back to the orthodontist again today among the other mudslide of bills caving in on me right now).

No comment on the 30s for yotes, been a long time since I shot a coyote and never been able to do one with a 17 :(

Hope to see other post here on load data for the 17-222 and 30 gr bullets…